Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 03:53 PM   #1  
I'm on my way!

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again..#186

WELCOME

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday..... Weigh ins / Wacky/ Way to go Wednnesday
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:54 PM   #2  
I'm on my way!

Phew....I'm getting good at this part! LOL

Don't forget to go back to #185 and read the last few post from there!!

I'm doing great food wise today...have no desire to eat and have only used 15 points for the day so far and its already almost 4 pm

I forgot to ask you all....have any of you tried the Bakers breakfast cookies? They are suppose to be 2 pts each. I just ordered them off the internet, the variety pack. I couldn't just decide on one flavor so figured I would give them a try to see which I liked best!

I'll be back again!
Michelle
Old 07-07-2002, 08:00 PM   #3  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Sorry to not have been here the last few days. Wednesday and Thursday I was sooooo sick. Friday was a seriously long day at work. I knew it was going to be rough because I was only able to work 2.5 hours on Wednesday before deciding I was truly ill and going home. But about noon our manager had to go to the hospital to console a friend whose wife was in ICU and probably being pulled off life support soon. Our assistant manager was on vacation, so this left me in charge of the shop. I was pretty shaken up by the hospital thing. It was hard to not just sit at my desk and cry. I had only met the woman once, but she was young and full of life. I called home, told my honey how much I love him, and plowed into the work.
For those of you who don't know, I work for a tire and auto care center. I've learned a ton about tires in the last year, but I still know precious little about the mechanical side of this business. Of course, everyone had tough questions all day long. I dealt, but it was a 12 hour day still. When I left, there was still so much left to do, but I had to get home and pack for Las Vegas the next morning.
Las Vegas was a blast! We were meeting up with our best friend and his family. They live in El Paso, and it would have been a shame to not catch up with them since Vegas is only a couple hours away from here. We shopped, swam, hung out, shopped, ate and explored. I was even talked into trying a water massage in the mall. It felt so good!
My favorite part of the day was taking everyone to see the Bellagio. They always have spectacular flowers and the water show was just too cool for words.
I think I overdid things a bit because today I'm feeling almost drugged, I'm so slow and groggy. Actually, I know I overdid it, because I had to borrow some pain relievers to get through the rest of the evening. Too many stairs had my knee screaming at me. Could be TOM and all that cramping causing the groggy bit as well. Who knows?!
BTW, I think we should petition the universe to let us not ever have to deal with stomach type viruses and our periods at the same time. It is completely unfair!

Going to post this and then get dinner made. My SIL did the sweetest thing for me the other day, and I'm hoping to get back and tell you all about it.

Take care for now!

Andria
Old 07-07-2002, 08:32 PM   #4  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Me again

Ok, here is the sweet thing my SIL did for me the other day. She came over to chat and brought a little piece of paper. We talked for a while, and then she said she would like to read it to me. It was a list of things she sees in me. She said I might not agree with all of them, but this is what she sees.
The list went like this:

Andria

Beautiful
Trusting
Loving
Courageous
Patient
Inspiring
Hardworking
Honest

You know I was crying by the end. The paper is safely stored away. I'm thinking of laminating it and putting it in my wallet or somewhere I can find it easily. I can hardly describe how touched I was by this. So many years of dragging myself down with self-talk and the words others have used against me were flat out erased by this simple act. I've been planning a list for my oldest daughter and my husband. Thinking of a couple of other close friends I would like to do the same for.

I feel the same about you guys here. We share so much trust. You all inspire me daily. Your courage to go out into the world and face problems head on and with a spunky attitude blow me away and leave me wanting to follow your lead. We all have different situations and problems to overcome, but we have come together here, sharing ourselves with each other and so many others who watch and listen. Thank you for impacting my life in such a positive manner. *HUGS*

Andria
Old 07-07-2002, 09:37 PM   #5  
I'm on my way!

I'm baaaack!! Like a bad penny!!

Andria you sound so positive tonight....I'm glad you came back to post! That was such an awesome thing your SIL did for you. We always tend to put ourselves down and do last for us and first for everyone else! Its time we put US first and then if we can, do for others! If not....oh well....like my son always says...me me me me me....when he wants something!! He opens my eyes sometimes!!

Baylee I completely forgot about that program. We rented a DVD...Ocean Eleven...what a good movie! IF you all haven't seen it I think its worth it! I love Julia Roberts but I wasn't impressed with her in this movie...but George Clooney and Brad Pitt were both great! I'm not a big Brad fan...my man is Patrick Swayze~

Its been so long since I read the past posts I don't even remember who posted! Sorry you all!! CRS comes with old age here!!

I should get off here and get to bed...my little guy finally fell asleep and I don't want to wake him!

TTFN Michelle
Old 07-08-2002, 08:01 AM   #6  

#1....it's 66 here....I feel so normal!!!!!! Of course, it's raining so it will be humid and hot again shortly but we need rain so I will persevere.

Andrea, what a nice thing your SIL did. I agree we are so negative with ourselves, at least I know I can beat myself up much better and more thouroughly than anyone else.

Yes, Baylee, I watched the show. Actually the people were the same ones as in the "other" show I watched obese people. I wonder if there is more than one segment?

I liked the 7 points but worry about those statistics that only 5% succeed and that maintaining is the hardest.

What did you think about the pill they are trying to develope? I figure even if there is a pill so you don't gain weight there will be some "more" dangerous side effect. Plus when the doctor said you could just "be" a couch potato and not gain I was wondering about the rest of our body parts...muscles, organs...don't we still need exercise just to keep them healthy? I could see many people thinking they can just sit around, eat, and take that pill and all would be okay.

I have noticed that watching what you eat is important but exercise may be the most important thing to do. It seems to be working for the two on the show. I did think the woman wasn't a "good" example of someone who keeps her weight off exercising. Just like the narrator said being an aerobics instructor helps her get in a lot more exercise than the average person has time to do. But I did admire her for trying to stop the tendancy to be overweight in her family.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:28 AM   #7  
You and Me in 2003

Happy Manday morning all
I am up and ready to go to work. I hope I here today if I got the job.
Dh is better but son has it now. He still hasn't found a job.

I hope all of you had a great holiday.
Andrai:
Sorry you were sick I had the same thing on the 4th. I felt horrible. To all the rest of you have a great day talk to you all later.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:30 AM   #8  
You and Me in 2003

I forgot DH leaves tomorrow on a business trip to Michigan. He'll be gone till Thurs night
Old 07-08-2002, 08:37 AM   #9  
I'm on my way!

Good morning everyone!!!

Day number 1 was very successful for me! I drank 7 glasses of water...(didn't want to drink the morning water before I weighed in so I had to play catch up!!) I even banked 4 points and since I was only 1 lb away from the next range I started with that one instead of teasing myself for a week with the extra points! I even ate fruits and vegetables...didn't quite get in all for the day but that is something I need to work on. I will make my veggie soup today. Sometimes I spoon some over pasta for a lunch too that way I get in another serving here and there!!

This morning I made these harvest muffins that are suppose to be 1 pt. each. They were pretty good and very filling too! Because of the fiber cereal.

For breakfast I had 1 cup of cheerios, 1/2 c. ff milk, 1/2 c. fresh blueberries and two of those muffins with 2 glasses of water! Boy am I STUFFED! I even shared my cheerios with Andrew. I had to sneak a few blueberries in there because he wouldn't take a bite if he saw them on the spoon. Little smartie pants!

Lucky...I am a firm believer of the exercise thing! When I first lost all that weight I was walking almost every day and/or doing a richard video or taebo if the weather was really bad. I was losing steadily every week with not one gain. On a week when I couldn't exercise regularly because of work or something the loss was smaller. THe main key here is to NOT GIVE UP! I just kept on doing what I needed to do and the weight just melted away. I was buying new jeans almost once a month, a blue pair and a black pair. I have them in size 28 down to size 14...oh to be in my 14's again! I WILL do it again...I am totally ready!!

Has anyone tried those Baker's Breakfast Cookies? I ordered some....I'll let you know what I think when they get here. Hoping they will be here by the end of the week.

Well I need to get us dressed and get the laundry going...its invading the household here!

I;ll be back...when I am here I am OUTTA THE KITCHEN!!!

I love you guys! You are all such a great help and inspiration! You all just keep on keeping on! TTFN Michelle
Old 07-08-2002, 09:30 AM   #10  
Dancing those pounds away

Angry Hello..... goodbye

Good Monday morning.

I made it back from our trip. We had a nice time. The cabin was definitely in the woods and beautiful... but the bed sucked.
I would not recommend it for that reason. The boxspring and mattress was all droopy... so in my opinion they were "way over priced " and even if cheaper... I would not stay there again.
I never made it into the jacuzzi. First of all... it was surrounded by mirrors. LOL Second... it was soooo deep and nothing to hang onto to pull yourself up and out. I would still be sitting in it.
Our trip was very nice overall. I got a little depressed several times because there was so much I was physcially unable to do. I just hate seeing how I am wasting this life being FAT. It was hard to walk, the heat really effected me, and I feel terrible preventing others from doing FUN things because they don't want to leave me out. My family loves me very much... and they will deprive themselves.

Well... I am only here for this one post.
I called to check on my parents as soon as we got home.... and my mom fell Saturday night and hurt herself... but no one found her untill noon Sunday. She is in the hospital so I am headed to go see her as soon as I get some clean laundry. I will be back in a few days.

Just want to say... HANG IN THERE to everyone.
Don't give in to temptation.
Say NO to the excess food and say YES to life.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:25 AM   #11  
a work in progress...

Unhappy Empty nester reporting for duty...

Hi gang...

Well we got the kids off yesterday...my daughter went to Philadelphia for a month long, pre-college program at Univ of the Arts, and my son went to upstate NY for a week of Boy Scout camp...I took my daughter, DH took my son. Now we're *all alone.* Yeah, and exhausted...I was hauling trunks and fans and stuff up 3 flights of stairs, while he was hauling camping gear over hill and dale...not to mention driving both ways...his trip was much longer than mine 3 1/2 hrs to my 2! I passed an exit for Levittown, Michelle. thought of getting off and just driving around calling your name! "YOO HOO! MICHELLE! ANDREW! JOHN! WHERE ARE YOU??" Needless to say, we were two tired puppies last night. Too tired to take advantage of our empty nest situation...

I really miss my kids. I know, I know, it's only been a day, but I do. I know my daughter will be fine...she was in her glory in her dorm, with the city beneath her window...my son is not as independent as she is...he has a tough time letting go. I know he'll be OK...too busy to think about home...I hope. While I'm busy missing them, I'm also quite envious...I wish I had the opportunities they've had when I was a kid. I did allow myself about 10 minutes of "feel sorry for myself" time...I never went away to college, or to camp. Was never even offered the choice. I knew my parents couldn't afford it, but people a lot poorer than we were go to college. (I did go, on my own, to junior college, funded by yours truly) oops...there's another minute of the pity party...Sorry! I'm done! I'll end this paragraph with thoughts of..."I miss them dearly, but I'm glad we can provide these opportunities, and hopefully, happy memories, for them!"

On to business at hand...I wish I could have seen the show you guys are talking about. Sounds good. I'm always a sucker for more and more diet information...I could be a nutritionist with all that I know on the subject (but don't always apply!) I must say that, today I am back on track. I will be following "Fit for Life" again. I highly recommend this book. I love it (when I am following it.) I have no cravings, no heartburn, I'm more alert and energetic, my skin is 100% better, even my nails look good...There is sound reasoning behind the plan AND there are great recipes in the book!

No matter what plan you follow, though...EXERCISE is the key to losing any weight. Daily exercise of any sort will raise the metabolism and process food more efficiently, strengthen the heart, expand the lungs, clear the mind, raise your spirits...I believe it is the single most important factor in any weight loss program. There are 100's of diets to follow, but every single one will tout exercise as an important part of the plan. Case in point...
Quote:
When I first lost all that weight I was walking almost every day and/or doing a richard video or taebo if the weather was really bad.
I was losing steadily every week with not one gain.
On a week when I couldn't exercise regularly because of work or something the loss was smaller. THe main key here is to NOT GIVE UP! I just kept on doing what I needed to do and the weight just melted away.
Thank you Michelle, I couldn't have said it better!

Stepping off the soapbox now...

I'd better get moving...I'm going to make some bran muffins and some cookies made with Grape Nuts to have all week...(no kids here to scoff them up) We'll have fish for dinner. (No kids here to whine they don't like fish!) Then I'm going to the gym for as long as I like...Swim, Tai Chi (I just checked the schedule, there's a class tonight at 6--I've been meaning to try it!) I may even have that massage that I've had a gift certificate for (over a year now.) Hmmmm....kids? What kids?

Have a great day, gang!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 07-08-2002 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:36 AM   #12  
I'm on my way!

Kat your post made me laugh! You sound like you are full of P and Vinegar today! LOL And WHY WHY WHY didn't you tell me you were going to Philadelphia?? I would have met you somewhere! When are you going back? You better let me know girl!!

And yes, EXERCISE is the key! Me believe 500%...and YES I just finished my Leslie Sansone 30 minute walking tape. Phew...my back is soaked! I didn't wait for Andrew's nap because by then I would have used the excuse that I was too tired. I always did my walking in the morning religously. So I put his little sandals on his little feet and gave him a sippy cup of water and sent him out in the backyard with the dog! I have all windows along the back wall so I can watch him at the same time. I feel so much better afterwards. And I know that everyone says that...but I really noticed such a difference in my attitude while I was walking and losing. I am WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR! I had so much more self confidence! ITs hard to explain how it happens but it just does!

So far today I have already gotten in 4 glasses of water. I try to do 4 before noon and 4 in the afternoon. I try not to let myself drink anything else until I have all my water in. If I really want a diet pepsi or iced tea I have to do the water first! I just fill a glass with ice and sip it all morning long. I have one with each meal too. It goes in easily that way. Also try the flavored carbonated waters. They make it more like a treat. Or try to dress up your plain old water by putting it in a goblet or champagne glass and adding a slice of lemon or orange or lime! Do whatever it takes to get it in...it works!

I seem to be up on that soapbox with you Kat...but you know what...we belong there!! We all do...we can do this...we just have to have that positive attitude and keep it!!

Mary...we must have been posting about the same time! You snuck in on me..twice! LOL I hope you hear about the job..better yet I hope you get it if you want it!!

2Cute...sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she is ok! You take care of yourself now too. And you WILL get this weight off too! I will help you any way I can!

Ok I am getting hungry right now. I am going to go make my veggie soup and have some over the left over couscous from last night while baby boy is watching the Wiggles! Oh and of course I will feed him lunch too! The little skinny minnie!! He likes broccoli can you believe that??

TTFN Michelle
Old 07-08-2002, 02:29 PM   #13  

Talking Howdy Strangers!

Well. It's official. I'm obsessed with losing weight. I had a dream last night that I ate a whole bag of croissants. In my dream, I felt REALLY bad about it but decided that tomorrow was another day. It took me a few minutes after waking up to realize that it was all a dream and a wave of relief went over me!

Continuing with my obsession, I weighed myself this morning. Something I was NOT supposed to do until Wednesday! It could've ended up being a bad move since this week is that TOM... anyhoo, I did it and I've lost 3 more pounds for a total of 30 pounds in less than 2 months!

When my parents came for their visit, they brought with them (at my request) a couple of tennis rackets they had never used for my husband and I. There's public tennis courts in a park about 10 minutes from our house that are great; kinda in a little valley surrounded by huge pine trees so tennis players aren't on display! Well, we played yesterday and had a lot of fun (despite feeling a little bit of heat stroke at the end). We're terrible but it was fun because we joked around as we played. We're inspired by the thought of eventually turning into a couple of pros gracefully pirouetting around the courts so we've decided to keep it up a few times a week!

2cute... I hope everything is going okay with your mom! You guys will be in my thoughts.

Michelle... I've never tryed Baker's Breakfast Cookies. Let us know if they're any good. My problem is, if they are yummy, controlling myself not to eat too many! Sometimes it's better for me to stay 100% away! I guess that's something I'll have to work on!

Kat... Hope you still get a few minutes to post in the next little while as you're probably busy spending "quality time" with your husband! You know, I'm sure your kids definitely appreciate the opportunities you've given them--years from now, they'll probably look back and think these summers were some of the best of their lives and appreciate you guys all the more!

Baylee... I feel the same way about my parents as you do about your kids as they are pulling out of the driveway!

Andria... That WAS a nice thing your SIL did and your idea about doing it for others in your life is great! People sometimes don't realize how much some kind and truthful words can impact others!

Oh, just before I take off, I need you guys to keep your fingers crossed for us! My husband has that second interview tomorrow; we're hoping he'll get a firm job offer. The position would be Webmaster for the most profitable technology company in Canada! It's that opportunity I said he needed!

TTFN
Sara

Last edited by SaraJoy; 07-08-2002 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:24 PM   #14  
I'm on my way!

OK are you guys sick of me yet?

I have so much work to do around here but no desire!! I will be rushing around here when John calls to say he is on his way home from work so it will look like I did something today! FUnny thing..all the laundry I do and once its put away you wouldn't know I worked on it all day long...Not that I have only did two loads so far and its already after 4 pm!! Geeeesh....where the heck did the time go??

Sara...my fingers are crossed for your husband! I know the feeling about getting that break...I interviewed for a job that won't be available until Sept. which works fine by me but haven't heard anything yet. If they would just say OK start in Sept or whenever I would be so much more relieved and can stop looking! Not that there is much out there in my field right now.
Oh and by the way, I would love to have that dream...maybe I would feel so much more satisfied every day if I had a dream like that every night? Who knows!!

I should be sweeping and mopping the floors right now since my little guy went back to sleep on the couch. I tried to take a nap when he did but John called me twice and woke me up so I abandoned that idea just as the mailman was delivering my mail and the package my mom sent. I started reading my Parenting magazine and all the housework went to heck!

So.....if I get off my rear and do more work I can count it as more exercise right ladies?????? ehhh?? I can't hear you??? Was that a great big YES!!

TTFN Michelle
Old 07-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #15  
You and Me in 2003

I still don't know anything yet for sure maybe tomorrow.
Closed Thread