Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Question Fatty deposits under my skin...

Sounds like the title of a very strange love song....

I have a question/query - with these dimply thighs and bumpy upper arms, I can feel the lumps of fat under the skin. Now that I've lost just under 20 pounds (but still have a looooong way to go), I can tell that these deposits are starting to shrink (yay!). This is a good thing, no doubt. But will they go away completely? Or just shrink down to their smallest size and still be there, until I hit lotto and get liposuction? I seem to remember reading somewhere that these "globules" (a very appropriate name!) will get to a certain size when one gains weight, and then the body makes more as one keeps overloading the system with too many calories. But when one is losing fat in the body, and these things shrink down, do the "empty containers" (so to speak) sit there, waiting (forevermore) if and until the balance shifts back to "the dark side" (for want of a better analogy)?

Which leads me to the next query - if in fact there are "leftover" fatty-deposit-bags (all I can envision are those deposit bags you see at the bank!), in your body as you lose weight, does that mean that when you see the light at the end of the tunnel (i.e., GOAL in sight!!!), it makes your weight loss slow down, because you are carrying "excess baggage" that cannot be dieted off? Good G-d, I hope not!!!

I am not being very clear (and certainly not very technical) - but, perhaps there is someone out there with some knowledge of the physiology (sp?) of these machines we are born with, and can tell me I am wrong (hope so!).

Sorry this is a bit convulated. I know what I am trying to say, just can't seem to get it out of the keyboard!
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

Are you talking about cellulite? I have heard mixed things about it... some people say it will go away, others say that it will never go away, no matter how skinny you get. You will always have those "dimples" in your skin. Bleh, I have some on the back of my legs and I hope so much that they go away! They have gotten better as I've lost weight, but they are still there, taunting me, reminding me of all the fast food I ate!
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Your weight loss slows down as you near goal, but not because of excess baggage. It's because the less you have to lose, the harder it is to create a large calorie deficit with exercise and especially with diet. The smaller you are, the less calories you need per day just to maintain. So exercise and building muscles help a lot, but as you near goal, you expect to slow down. It wouldn't make much sense to lose weight fast right up to your goal and then expect it to stop immediately right at the point
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #4  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Are they painful? Most fatty deposits are slightily pain full hard little balls under your skin. They might shirnk a little. My boyfriend has them in his back and i have to massage them everyday to try and loosen them up. He has to have them surgically removed. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Good Luck I suggest trying to massage them to break them up
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Are you talking about cellulite?
Well - yes, I suppose I am - had a blonde moment when I wrote the post! So, to clarify (thanks, Zima!): does the cellulite pockets go away, or just shrink?

Quote:
Are they painful?
No - unless I pinch 'em! LOL! These are tiny - maybe 1/8 inch or smaller in diameter- but there's lots of them!

I do have knots on my back - but they're in the muscle. DH or one of my sons massages them to work the blood out of the knob and loosen the muscles - I think it's a form of acu-pressure (as opposed to acupuncture). I do the same for DH - he gets them as big as marbles!
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I do have knots on my back - but they're in the muscle. DH or one of my sons massages them to work the blood out of the knob and loosen the muscles - I think it's a form of acu-pressure (as opposed to acupuncture). I do the same for DH - he gets them as big as marbles!
Foam roller! Foam roller! Foam roller!

I used to get these kinds of knots in my back all the time and since I started using a foam roller, they're mostly gone. Seriously. I can't recommend getting one strongly enough!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Foam roller! Foam roller! Foam roller! I used to get these kinds of knots in my back all the time and since I started using a foam roller, they're mostly gone. Seriously. I can't recommend getting one strongly enough!
I've been thinking about this. Are balls useful too or do you think just the roller? Have you used it with your legs?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #8  

I use tennis balls on my feet and on my shoulders sometimes, but mostly the foam roller.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #9  
*Courtney Rae*

Umm this might sound kinds silly but where would one purchase a foam roller? I am trying everything i can to help the boys back.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #10  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Foam rollers: http://www.performbetter.com/SearchR...tegoryID_E_235
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #11  

You can get them at Target, too. Or a Sports Authority or other sporting goods store. They run about $20-$30.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #12  
*Courtney Rae*

Thanks! payday is friday so he may be getting a present
Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #13  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

what you are describing could be cellulite but it can also be a lipoma. Which is a benign fatty tissue deposit. If it is still there when you loose your weight you may want to have them removed.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote