Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Default Here we go (again)

I wish I could say I'm a newbie here but I'm not. I've been here and then I haven't. I haven't given up but I have fallen off my track and need some help getting back on. Round and round I go.

I'm scared and worried, tired and annoyed about my weightloss efforts or as of late, lack of efforts. I'm scared and worried because of what I am doing to my body, health, and life.
I'm tired that I have this problem and have been in denial that I should be doing anything because I feel like I have tried so many times and ways to lose weight and nothing, nothing has worked. I want to approach it differently than I have before but I just don't know how to do things differently. Obviously my old ways are not right. I've done different weightloss programs, trained for half marathons, etc. but yet I now have reached a point where I just can't stand being on a diet. All I want to do is eat. AND I don't have the motivation or desire to exercise. Everything involving it seems to bore and annoy me. I detest that I have a problem and wish I could just be "normal".

My motivation and desire are almost non-existent. How do I turn this wheel in a different direction and get back on board?

Frustrated...
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

:hugs: and welcome back.

Getting the mojo back is tough. I would start with just one thing and get in a groove with that. Since you are tired of the dieting mentality - how about just focusing on exercise. Try something new, and promise yourself just 15 minutes a day and then add on.
The goal is to make a snowball effect which will lead to more exercise as the habit is reformed. Then focus on something else, like changing some of the foods you eat.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck! You have made the first step.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #4  
started 1/28/08

Welcome back!

I know how you feel . . . it often seems to me that the time and effort needed for weightloss interferes a lot with my ability to just enjoy the rest of my life.

What works best for me is to simplify my plan down to the essentials (for me that is exercise most days and journal my food so I know if/how much of a calorie deficit I'm achieving) . . . and then just do it, with as little "self-debate" as possible.

Good luck getting back on track, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

I had to post because it's my user name! I understand about starting over not just in weight loss but in life.

You can do this... you have to decide what it is you want and what changes are you willing to make now. For me, I decided that if I was unhappy with the fact that I keep gaining weight I needed to do something about it. It can be as simple as eating one sweet thing a day opposed to more. It can be no seconds, less cheese, whatever it is stick to it.

One thing that helped me was not to eat after 6 pm and if I'm just too hungry after that, I eat raw veggies.

This site has been such an encouragement to me. I look at people's success stories. If they can do it, I can do it.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #6  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Julz, I'm with you. I know all the reasons why to get back on track, but I can't seem to do it. I wish I could give you great advice, but I can't. I can just let you know that I understand and you're not alone!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #7  
The Complete Newbie

S/C/G: 252/244.4/175

Height: 5"7'

The best piece of advice I ever received - and I received it at a time when the idea of any type of healthy lifestyle change seemed too overwhelming - was not to focus on taking bad things out of my diet, but instead look at what good thing I could add in.

Just recently I started eating more berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc - and without even realizing it I grew to like them so much that I ended up replacing some of the higher calorie "snack foods" with them. The ultimate goal of this is that if I eat a lot of good things I'll have less room in my diet for the not-so-good things. It's working!

Another thing I've done is to try and get a good dose of vitamins and minerals into me. I researched some of the foods richest in the good stuff and starting buying those. Now when I reach for something, I ask myself if it's nourishing my body or just filling me up. If it can do both, I chose that food.

These are the pre-weight-loss things I did this time around. They got me back into the groove of wanting to do good things for myself and my body. It was just a small jump into weight loss mode that way. It seemed like the natural progression of things.

I hope that helps a little. We're here for you!

Last edited by Maven of Mayhem; 07-14-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Maven of Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Julz

I don't know if it will help you, but I changed my movitation from weight loss to health and that seemed to do the trick for me.

All of my grandparents died way way too young - 2 from cancer, 1 from complications of Alzheimers, 1 from complications from diabetes. I did that mid 30s "oh crap, I'm a mortal being" thing and was very interested in how I could stay a healthy person.

Eating well makes me feel better. When I ate a lot of junk, I was slow and depressed and lethargic. I have a lot more energy now, and I just like the way it makes me feel.

My only other suggestion would be to find something that isn't so restrictive and onerous that it makes you tired of doing it. I can stick to maintenance and eat healthy and on plan most of the time because I have a nice meal out in a restaurant that I REALLY look forward to all week. Plus, I make sure that I like all the food I eat. I look forward to fresh strawberries!

I have come to terms with not being a normal person. I can't eat just whatever and hope to be thin, because I can eat a lot, heh But you know, I've never had a cavity. There might be some skinny woman out there wishing she had normal teeth! We all have our pros, cons, issues and blisses.

Good luck finding the oomph!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzchiki View Post

I'm scared and worried, tired and annoyed about my weightloss efforts or as of late, lack of efforts. I'm scared and worried because of what I am doing to my body, health, and life.
I'm tired that I have this problem and have been in denial that I should be doing anything because I feel like I have tried so many times and ways to lose weight and nothing, nothing has worked. I want to approach it differently than I have before but I just don't know how to do things differently. Obviously my old ways are not right. I've done different weightloss programs, trained for half marathons, etc. but yet I now have reached a point where I just can't stand being on a diet. All I want to do is eat. AND I don't have the motivation or desire to exercise. Everything involving it seems to bore and annoy me. I detest that I have a problem and wish I could just be "normal".

My motivation and desire are almost non-existent. How do I turn this wheel in a different direction and get back on board?

Frustrated...
WARNING: Some tough love ahead, read at your own risk

I gotta ask you this

HOW tired are you? HOW scared are you? HOW worried are you? HOW annoyed are you? You've got to be tired and scared and worried and annoyed ENOUGH to want to make a change. You have to be so tired, scared and worried that you are finally willing to do without the food. The DESIRE to be thin and healthy has to outweigh the desire for the food. We were actually discussing this over in support recently. Maybe you want to take a look at it:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145519

When you get to that stage you then need to devise a plan. A good heatlhy longterm plan. Set yourself up for success! When you're ready, just say the word and we'll help you figure one out.

As far as being normal, well I don't have a normal relationship with food. I could wish for it and wish for it and it just won't happen. I would also like to be taller, that's not going to happen either. I'm sure some people wish they had a normal relationship with alcohol and gambling and handling their money. We've all got our "issues". That's just the way it is.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote