General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #1  
3D MOM

S/C/G: 245/233/145

Height: 5'2"

Default Tent Camping W/kids

My husband and I have decided to try tent camping with our 3 boys. I'm sure it will be a grand adventure. Are any of you seasoned campers with good tips to share? We'll be in state parks so we're not ruffing it too bad. My boys are 3,10, and 13 so be sure to keep me in your prayers. LOL
3D MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #2  

We do alot of tent camping w/ our boys! We have alot of fun! They LOVE it!! I like the campgrounds because you still have the bath houses & electric, we sometimes do on the lake though for a couple of nights!
My husband is all into it! He loves to cook out the food & has alot of gear he brings along...
Its alot of great memories!!

Amy
AMYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

camping is great! Check out the camp bulletin board for special programs and activities
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

My family loves to camp!

If you can, be sure and get air mattresses. And if you're not using a campsite with electric be sure and get the battery powered air thingy that blows them up.
Check out your local Wal Mart or Target or better yet a Coleman store.

My kids ( 8 and 11) always take their bikes to ride. And as a special treat I get them those light sticks that you "break" and they stay lit up for hours. I found some really cool battery powered ones at Wal Mart that were a necklace type. With those I could "see" where my kids were even in the dark.

My husband has an awesome Coleman grill. I think it's called the Roadtrip or something like that. Anyway, he does ALL the cooking and loves every minute of it! So do I

We usually camp at a state park right next to the river so if you'll be near water don't forget some kind of water shoes for the kids to walk in.

And if you're like me and live in an area that's been very dry lately, check with the park before you load up or buy any firewood. We had a burn-ban here for several months last summer.

Have a great time! Don't forget your camera!
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Ahhhh, camping... I haven't gone in 8 years now, so I'm out of touch, but I sure did love it when we used to go. It's so much work to get everything together and then to break down, but it is SOOO worth it in between! Have a great time!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I could write volumes, but I will try to keep it short.
~ put together a basket or box of stuff to keep the kids occupied if it rains, handheld games, puzzle books - whatever will keep them from fighting if the weather gets nasty.
~ hobo pie irons - seriously - everyone can prepare their own meal - and if they burn it - they eat it or make more. Don't get stuck doing chores - cooking and cleaning for your family. Let them share in the prep and cooking and clean-up
~ small wisk broom and dustpan - the tent can get pretty messy if you don't have everyone take off their shoes at the door. Even then, a small broom helps a lot.
~ two way radios. Let the kids explore, but using those inexpensive little radios gives you piece of mind that they are OK and not in any real danger
~ bug spray - gallons of it
~battery powered lanterns or several flashlights. Everyone needs to be able to "go" if needed. Individual lights are really helpful

Have fun! I have so many memories of camping with the boys - and my cub scout troops
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #7  
3D MOM

S/C/G: 245/233/145

Height: 5'2"

Default camping

Thanks you guys. I'll check out the bulletin. I'll be sure to let you all know how it wen't come next Monday. If I can figure it out I'll add a couple of pics too.
3D MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #8  

We just came back from camping -- I'll admit we used our new pop up camper this time, but my two boys and I have been camping in a tent since they were in playpens!!

One thing I take along are glow sticks -- they are nice for the boys to sleep with for a little light, especially when they were little..

I bought marshmallow/hot dog sticks for the fire, easier than trying to find a decent stick in the woods.

I keep a rubbermaid bin packed with all the things I need (paper plates, etc), so I don't have to pack every time.

A package of diaper wipes -- for quick cleaning.

A rug for outside the tent to leave shoes on.

Have a great time -- I'm sure even if you forget something, the boys won't care!!

Last edited by shelby897; 07-13-2008 at 11:32 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I love camping...even if it has to be in a tent,lol.Last year I bought some cheap x-mas lights and placed them on the outside of our tent.That way when it was dark,we could see enough inside to get dressed for bed(and no one could see our outlined bodies from a light source inside),and the kids could see where our campsite was.

As someone else said,air matresses! I will never camp without one again.Last year my youngest used a little air matress for water,but this year,we're sharing the queen sized one I bought.

If your camping anywhere near wildlife,make sure to keep your food inside your vehicle.We lost all our food one year to raccoons...sneaky lil buggers.Last year though,we placed all the coolers under the seat part of the picnic tables and they weren't able to get into them.

Have fun!We were rained out at our last attempt at camping.In fact,they had flash flooding.We're going to try again next month and I really hope the weather is nice that weekend.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote