Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #1  
Wandering in the Woods

Default Could somebody tell me what this is all about?

There are scads of threads, but I can't seem to locate a title which explains what the Metabolic Research craze really is. I am on my own little Metabolic Overhaul Program, and I suddenly lost a couple of pounds where I was gaining like wildfire. This is what I've been doing for two weeks :

1. I quit caffeine, and I'm drinking more water consequently am thirsty!
2. I'm taking recommended amount of Liqui-Kelp, Dong Quai, High Potentency B, antioxidant complex, and and Emergen "C" drink in morning. Evening am taking Omega3 , and multivitamin, with dinner. I am not doing anything else different.

I am curious to know if what I'm doing is similar to what the MRC is all about?

I swear I feel my thyroid kicking in.... is it the kelp I wonder? Thanks in advance !

~Jen

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 07-04-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #2  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 206/187.5/165

Height: 5'8"

Not exactly, MRC is a strict eating program, you'll have to contact a center and they will give you the eating program that's right for you. Go to http://www.emetabolic.com/ to find the nearest location to you. Good luck!
strawberryrhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/169/135

Height: 5'4"

There is a diet component, which includes High Nutrient Supplements (HNS) - little protein/fiber drinks, soups, puddings. You go for twice-weekly weigh-ins, as well as a food journal checks, and you have to pee on a little stick to make sure you haven't gone into muscle-burning mode (ketosis). Other vitamin and herb supplements are available, but not required. You also have to exercise, but not a lot. They also have different classes (nutrition, etc.), which vary by location. Every month or so, they measure you to see how many inches you've lost. The drinks and herbs are extra; the joining fee varies - sometimes they have specials. You need between 2-5 of the drinks daily and they are $12 per box, 7 drinks to the box. You can buy five boxes for $11 each. They give you a "deadline" to lose your weight and if you meet your goal, or are at least within 6 pounds, you are eligible for the maintenance program for 1 yr - IF you stay within at least 6 pounds of your goal. I have 13 weeks to lose at least 29 pounds to be eligible which means I still get the one-on-one support and the ability to buy drinks and herbs as I choose. If I do everything I'm supposed to and don't lose all my weight, they keep working with me without an extra joining/program fee. Hope this helps.
kimberj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183.5/183.5/130.0

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about ketone sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post
When you find the list of vanilla shake ideas, would you also post them to the recipe thread? I think I used to have those too, but am not sure where they are.... It would be great to link to them when needed though!

So, make your list love and work out those "freedoms". Figure out what you gain by losing and then it's up to you. But first, stop dwelling on the "off plan slip" and move forward. You can do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberj View Post
There is a diet component, which includes High Nutrient Supplements (HNS) - little protein/fiber drinks, soups, puddings. You go for twice-weekly weigh-ins, as well as a food journal checks, and you have to pee on a little stick to make sure you haven't gone into muscle-burning mode (ketosis). Other vitamin and herb supplements are available, but not required. You also have to exercise, but not a lot. They also have different classes (nutrition, etc.), which vary by location. Every month or so, they measure you to see how many inches you've lost. The drinks and herbs are extra; the joining fee varies - sometimes they have specials. You need between 2-5 of the drinks daily and they are $12 per box, 7 drinks to the box. You can buy five boxes for $11 each. They give you a "deadline" to lose your weight and if you meet your goal, or are at least within 6 pounds, you are eligible for the maintenance program for 1 yr - IF you stay within at least 6 pounds of your goal. I have 13 weeks to lose at least 29 pounds to be eligible which means I still get the one-on-one support and the ability to buy drinks and herbs as I choose. If I do everything I'm supposed to and don't lose all my weight, they keep working with me without an extra joining/program fee. Hope this helps.
What color should the pee sticks be? I have heard the darker the better and then I heard you only want it to be slightly pink?
betcoleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #5  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by betcoleen View Post
What color should the pee sticks be? I have heard the darker the better and then I heard you only want it to be slightly pink?
When you're low-carbing, you want to be in ketosis (fat-burning mode). So then, darker is better (up to a point).

Honestly, tho, doing MRC I never registered more than a trace (barely pink), and that was only once or twice. Mostly I was negative. I think we eat just enough sugar and/or starch with each meal that it keeps us from going into ketosis. I always felt like they had us check to confirm we were eating our breads & fruits. If you check first thing in the morning, before you eat, you'll show more ketosis because it's been so long since you've eaten.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #6  
~Tori~

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

I have yet to pee on a ketone stick! I've just entered my second week and they have been out of them. I wanna know what color mine is. lool I know it sounds dumb but I just wanna do it. Thats all i had to say about the sticks.
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #7  
get it girl

S/C/G: 191.5/173.5/155

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriloos View Post
I have yet to pee on a ketone stick! I've just entered my second week and they have been out of them. I wanna know what color mine is. lool I know it sounds dumb but I just wanna do it. Thats all i had to say about the sticks.
If you really want to find out, you can buy ketone test strips near the pharmacy section of any Wal-Mart, Target, etc. with the diabetic supplies. I bought them and used them constantly when I first started MRC because I was paranoid about doing every single thing right. I think I paid about $4 for 60 of them.
sheldon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #8  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon07 View Post
If you really want to find out, you can buy ketone test strips near the pharmacy section of any Wal-Mart, Target, etc. with the diabetic supplies. I bought them and used them constantly when I first started MRC because I was paranoid about doing every single thing right. I think I paid about $4 for 60 of them.
Thank you so much this is very helpful.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #9  

Default Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
When you're low-carbing, you want to be in ketosis (fat-burning mode). So then, darker is better (up to a point).

Honestly, tho, doing MRC I never registered more than a trace (barely pink), and that was only once or twice. Mostly I was negative. I think we eat just enough sugar and/or starch with each meal that it keeps us from going into ketosis. I always felt like they had us check to confirm we were eating our breads & fruits. If you check first thing in the morning, before you eat, you'll show more ketosis because it's been so long since you've eaten.

Thanks so much this is very helpful.