Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Health-Focused Friends #2

Hello!

Here's a group for any Weight Watcher members (or anyone thinking about joining) to check in, get support and encouragement while trying to become healthier, not just thinner. We want to focus on eating a wholesome diet, exercising more, having a positive outlook on life, and losing weight along the way. This is what Weight Watchers promotes anyway, but sometimes it's hard to stay focused. Together, we'll make it!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

You are all welcome for the cards. I sent them to all of the charter members of the HFFs. I thought a little pick-me-up was just what we all needed.

I'm sitting at Starbucks again, and it's storming outside, so I'm just hoping my internet service here doesn't get cut off.

Angie - pee pee dance. You kill me.

Trish - I thought of you today. I was reading a diabetic cookbooklet that you find at the checkouts at Walmart, and a tip they had in it said to make "Better Butter" by mixing a stick of butter with 2/3 cup of canola oil. You whip the butter first with a wooden spoon, then gradually add the oil. Makes it less fattening, but you still keep it w/no trans fats. I really like Promise Light, though, for most stuff.

Jaime - if you'd like, please PM me your snail mail addy, and I'll send you mine as well. A big WOOHOO for reaching your 10%!!!! I agree, exercise helps the weight to come off so much faster. Makes a person feel better, too. Now, if I'd just do more of it.

Ruthie - I'm really going to have to get one of those Wii and the Wii fit. If I order one from Toys R Us, will they send one when they have it in stock?

Pat - oh hon, we all lose the grip sometimes. That's what makes us human. Just fake it 'til you make it, ok? Where do you keep your dragons?

Hello to all anyone else reading this.

I am still OP and doing great. My weigh in showed I'm down 2 pounds this week. Even though it's recycled weight, I'll take it.

I didn't hear anything from the internet people yesterday. If they don't call me Monday morning, I'll call them. Very, very frustrating to have to come all the way to town and pay for service, when I'm still paying for what I get at home.

I bet this posted while I can. TTFN,
Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #3  

Jane, do you have any other internet options....we have our service through the local cable company....it's cheaper than satelite service. For some reason, DSL through the phone company isn't available in my neighborhood. Congrats on being 2 lbs down...even if it is recycled!! LOL After almost 2 weeks being up 3 or 4 lbs...I was happy to see those recycled pounds gone. Once I'm down to 159, I'll have turned back time to 1997 or so.. that was the last time I was in the 150's!!

I'm not sure about Toys R Us. You might want to call them and ask. I know most places like Circuit City and Best Buy are not selling online...I'm sure you will like it. I just spent an hour doing balance games and aerobics. I add ankle and wrist weights to help burn more calories!! Especially for my arms....I have bat wings!!!! Yuck!!!

Pat, my flowers are hid amongst the grass. I will know what to do differently next year!!! LOL Hang in there, for the last few weeks, I haven't done well either...I was up 3 or 4 lbs...but finally after walking 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 miles 4 days last week, this morning I was back to the lowest weight that I've been since I started this journey back in February.

I'll check in later. Going to spend some time with hubby!!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Evening Ladies

Sorry I've been MIA lately. Today was WI for me and I'm back at 217.5 lbs. I didn't change it when I had 2 lbs loss because I wanted to be sure it stayed off. I was going to switch to counting calories, but I didn't want to leave our WW group and I really need to stick with the Flex July Challenge. So I came up with a plan of my own. I am going to combine calorie counting and Flex pts for a while to learn how many pts my body "really" can tolerate and lose weight at the same time. That way I can stay with our group here.

Jane - Thanks for sharing with me about the butter/canola mixture. I wondered if there was a way to do that and I just may try it. I think that would work with EVOO as well since I've seen Olive oil mixtures with margarine in the stores. Hope you get your internet service fixed soon.

Hope every one had a great week end and I'll catch y'all tomorrow.

Hugs,
Trish
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #5  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Trish,,,we have Best Buy here,,,but thing is I can't go and get it even if they have it since Im working so much...weekends I check and of course they don't ever have it.

ANyways,,,need to get to bed,,,
night all
Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #6  

Good morning everyone,

Just dropped by for a quick hello...I'm at work and that's what I should be doing!!

Trish, hang in there!! I've been up and down for the last 2 months...I have a big drop and then I start climbing, then I eventually drop back down and below where I was....then I start climbing again. It is really frustrating...but when I look at it on the Wii Fit chart, I can see the overall results and it isn't quite as bad as it feels at times!!!

Angelia...you must have been tired last night. I was the one asking about Best Buy...well I hope you get one.

Catch ya'll later.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

Hello,

Ruth - no, Wild Blue is my only option, except dial up, because of where I live.
It's very, very frustrating, to say the least, to have to come to town everytime I want to get online. Hope you had some quality time with your sweetie.

Trish - I'm so glad you're staying with the group! I sometimes count calories along with the points, just to see how I'm doing. You know, I wondered about adding evoo to the butter, too. I betcha it's good!

Angie - sounds like your chance of getting a Wii is about as lousy as my chance, lol.

I'm sitting in the public library, using the free computers. Nice and quiet in here - I like that.

I've been OP and as I mentioned, I'm just loving all the fresh veggies out of our garden. Oh! I have to correct something - I lost 2 pounds the week before last, and only 1 pound last week. I've yo-yoed so much, it's hard to keep track in my head. So when I went to write it down, I noticed the mistake. It's still a 3 pound loss, though, so far, for the month of July.

I sat down and made out a goal sheet for the rest of 2008. Since I officially restarted the 1st of July, that gives me exactly 1/2 of the year to show some decent progress on my weight loss journey. I'm really glad you gals are sharing the journey with me.

TTFN,
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #8  

Thumbs up

Hello Ladies,,

Jane & Ruth - Thanks for the encouragment. I appreciate it. Strange thing is I was down a lb this morning, but I won't count it until I'm sure it is a real loss and not a bounce. As I said, I love this group and I also really depend on the Flex July Challenge to help me stay OP and exercise.

Ruth - I think you asked about where I was from in TX. I was born and raised in Waco. I lived several years in Dallas, League City (between Houston and Galveston) and Gatesville. I never thought I would ever live anywhere but TX. When I married Tony, I moved to FL and then about a year and half ago we moved here in Rock Hill, SC.

Jane - I forgot to thank you for the card you sent me. CONGRATULATIONS on those 3 lb loss. You I started over with the June Challenge back when the 3FC site crashed and started back up. So we are at just about the same place.

I got my knew Eating Well magazine today. I haven't read much of it yet, but I will let you know if I read anything new of interest.

Angelia, Jamie, Pat, Marti and anyone else I missed

Y'all have a good evening.

Hugs,
Trish
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #9  

Good Morning Ladies,

I know it is a shock that I'm up earlier today, but I have an appt. to get my hair cut and highlighted. I have given up the fake fingernails, but I'm just not ready for the gray I say at the roots. My hair is like my Mother's was when she let it go gray once... wirey(s) and drab looking. She didn't leave hers that way and I'm not either. In my book that isn't a luxury, but a real necessity.

I gues my new combo of doing Flex pts with calorie counting is working for me as I was down to 216.5 yesterday and I am down to 214.5 this morning. 3lb loss in 2 days. That would sound like it is too fast except that I sat at 217.5 for 2 or 3 months. So it is a real blessing that the scale is finally moving. The difference? I count everything now. I even count the calories in things we are told that we don't usually have to count and I round off to the next number on calories. I don't do thatwith the pts. Ex .5 a ot is just that. But I am leaving nothing to chance with calories. Any way, I'm just thankful that it works. I remember reading in whole foods thread of someone else doing things that way only I think she never counted any thing on Flex pts as a zero because she said nothing was really free. The last I heard she not only is a Moderator on here, but she has kept her weight off. As I said, I'm just thankful it is working for me as I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with me.

No one is saying much here. I hope that means we are all busy. I know Jane is having internet problems, but hope she gets that fixed soon and is able to get back here soon.

Y'all have a great day!

Hugs,
Trish
Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning ladies....

All is well in this neck of the world. Been eating clean (is that really the word I want to use?) as much as I can and making the right choices. Now....if I could only start the exercising!

It's been so darn hot out (up in the 90's) that wanting to do anything is a chore. But the outlook for the week is in the 80's so we're cooling down! Time to just DO IT! Of course, I could be at the gym (air conditioned) and do workouts there!

If only I could pull my head out of this dark place called "laziness" I'd be ok.

Trish--You're doing fabulous! Seeing the scale move after a stall is such a great feeling. And great to keep motivated!!

Jane--Is your internet hookup fixed yet? I hope so. Congrats on the 3lbs! And thank you for the card!

(I'm a Christmas card exchanger....if anyone would like to share their snail mail with me, feel free to PM me your address and I will send you mind)

Ruth--
Have you taken measurements? I'm sure you'll see changes there if you do. The weigh can fluctuate all it wants, but you can still be shrinking!

Angie--
Hope you're getting some rest. I've been wanting a Wii, but have not looked around for one. Hubby just tells me to go visit my sister and play with hers!

Pat--How are you doing today?

Hello and good morning to anyone I have missed.

I've got to head to the shower and start getting ready for work. You all have a great day!!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #11  
GmaTo8

Hello ladies,

Trish - yay for the scales moving the right direction! I agree - getting our hair done is certainly a necessity. I feel like since I'm saving all that money I used to spend on Cheetos and candy, I'm going to use it to make myself look better.

Marti - YW for the card. I just thought we could all use a pick-me-up. I'm eating clean, too, so far today. Tonight is a dinner at my church, and that will be a huge challenge.

Hello to all others.

My internet is fixed!! The problem was that the cable they used in the initial installation was the wrong quality, and eventually broke down. So, NO cost to us. WooHoo!! I'm in my glory now, getting caught up with everything.

My eating is OP, but as I mentioned to Marti, I have a church dinner tonight, and some of those ladies can really cook! I'm taking a big basket of fruit, so I know there will be something for dessert that's good for me.

TTFN,
Old 07-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #12  

Hi ladies, on the flyby here. I went for a 15 minute walk at lunch and boy was it hot!! It is 86 degrees with 49% humidity. But that's okay, I had to do it!! LOL I haven't walked since I walked a mile last Friday and I could feel myself getting lazy. So...even thought it was hotter than heck, I went anyway!! Now, maybe I can motivate myself to walk when I get home on the treadmill. I saw the scale drop last week to my previous 164...I've got to keep active to at maintain for a few days and hopefull watch it fall some more!!

Gotta run, hi to everyone...I'll write more from home.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Hi HFF!

Jane - recycled weight is still weight to be lost, so good for you! And just think of how happy you'll be in 6 months that you started now, and don't have to restart again in Dec! Since your net problem was THEIR issue, can you get them to comp you for the time it was down? Or for the money you spent at cafes? Seems like they should have to....

Trish - There are a few others who count calories and points at the same time. It's just another potentially helpful metric to track. I don't know how long you've been having up-down trouble but one member in the Flex area here had trouble keeping weight off for a long time - for two months she tried everything, every combination of points possible (eating APs, not eating APs. Cutting back on FPs. Wendie Plan. Flex + calorie counting) and nothing worked, but now she's doing Core and is seeing great success. Not sure if that's relevant to you but I found her experience very interesting.

Marti - I hear you on the hot weather. It's been a drag to go out jogging in this heat. Eating is the big piece of the puzzle, be proud for getting that in line at least!

Ruth - Good for you getting out there walking, despite the heat. Sure is easy to rationalize another day without exercise once a few have passed. You are doing great

As for me, the past few days have been a little trying. My husband's interview for his green card is on Friday and we've been frantically trying to pull all the necessary documentation together for that, which leads to stress - and realizing the importance of this event compounds that stress. So eating has been a little haywire, but not so much that if I get back on track now I should still be able to see a loss by Saturday. I'm losing much more consistently now that I'm jogging regularly... so at least that's working in my favor!

I just realized my sister's 7 months into her pregnancy - which means I need to get hopping if I want to knit something for the baby like I had planned. Anyone have any good places to go for baby blanket ideas (which are possible to complete in the hands of a somewhat incompetent knitter? )?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #14  
GmaTo8

Hello ladies,

Ruthie - yay for the scales dropping again. Gives a person a much-needed lift, right?

Jaime - you can google the knitted baby blankets and come up with a bunch of ideas. I did it for you, but then wasn't sure just link you'd want to follow. Is this your sister's first baby? Hopefully, the interview for your DH will go well. No reason it shouldn't.

Hello to anyone reading this.

I got so frustrated yesterday evening, and took out my emotions by eating. I did fairly well at the church supper, although I had some dessert I shouldn't have. But when I got back home, my stupid internet wasn't working again!!! That just made me so upset, after all that I've been through with it, and I was ready to pull my hair out! So I overate. The thing is, I felt so guilty, it didn't even taste good.

Today is a new day, though, and I'm right back OP. For the record, I called the internet people and they said the problem was with my router. We fiddled around with it, and now I've got service, but not sure for how long.

Have a great day!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #15  

Good afternoon,

Just came back from my second walk for the day. I walked on my 10:00 break and during lunch. Now I'm all hot & sticky, but it kinda feels good!!! So that should be at least two miles and I will get on again tonight!!! Sometimes this weight issue leaves me feeling desparate. That desparation seems to take two forms...I either eat non stop or I end up exercising more!! Oh well, gotta go back to work...talk to you this afternoon.

Oh, Jane, glad your internet is back up!!

Last edited by short & sassy; 07-16-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Closed Thread