Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/169/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I made my doc happy today

What a sweet surprise--my physician is thrilled with my weight loss. My blood pressure is down, already! I hadn't previously understood the impact of even a small loss of weight and a good exercise program. So yea for diet and exercise!

On the other hand, I've been waging a war against depression with diet and exercise and I've lost the battle. I need meds so we're trying one without a reputation for weight gain. Time will tell. I don't think I've failed, because I've learned from all of you that I just need to take small steps, pay attention, and change the things that don't work.

Thanks for helping me get this far.
pinkcarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #2  
How much longer?

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'5'

Congratulations. Way to go!!

I have constantly talked to my doc about weight loss. I do not have to go back until October...but one of my mini goals for lossing weight is to wow her with my numbers....and looks of course.
Keep up the good work!
Insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Great work on the blood pressure! You have not failed...you are just trying something new to get a handle on it! Prayers and good luck!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 AM   #4  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

nice one....
i hoping to make my doc happy too....
i plan to go back in about 6 months....
when hopefully i will be past my goal!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Pinkcarnation,

The sad thing is that you think you have failed in your war. We get very judgemental about things like depression. You would not think you had failed if you were taking medication for some physical illness. Depression is an illness with physical and chemical components. It is real. Medication is useful. Think of the medication is a weapon in your fight for a happy, healthy life.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #6  

Oops...I don't think I failed. I should have been more clear.

What I meant to say is diet and exercise worked for me to lose weight and get my BP down. (And hopefully it will lower the sugar in my urine as well.) But for me, diet and exercise did not work to get rid of depression, even though I read repeatedly it could. So, as a result of some research, I found a med unlike my last one, that may not undo my progress so far.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations! And I'm glad you are getting whatever you need to be overall healthy AND happy, you deserve it!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #8  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations, Carnation! That is wonderful news!

Be sure and tell your doc exactly what you are and ARE NOT willing to put up with regarding the side effects of a medication. I think it's great that you've done some research and have an idea of what you want to try.

I've interviewed 31 women who take antidepressants for my dissertation research, and one of the recurring themes in those interviews is that prescribing docs are often deaf to patients' concerns (about weight gain, sexual side effects, etc.). Don't let your doc put you on a drug you have reservations about.

OK, enough unsolicited advice.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Congratulations on your weight loss & lower blood pressure, that's awesome!

And do not look at your need for medication as a failure or defeat. You have to use the tools available to you to help yourself, and right now you need meds. That's it. Doesn't mean you'll be on them forever, and even if you are, who cares? You have to take care of yourself!

I've battled anxiety & depression since I was a kid -- and I've had periods where I've been on meds, too.

And BTW, having taken 3 different medications, none of them caused weight gain for me. And you're talking to someone who gains weight smelling chocolate cake!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

That's great that it took only 7 lbs lost to change in your blood pressure. My BP is lot more stubborn and it took me some 20 lbs to finally make it down. On my last visit, I was high end of normal. Yay! I am still on my PB med, but I hoping I will be able to go off it completely.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #11  

Thanks for all of your support! In regard to the blood pressure, I think it is down because of the consistent and challenging (well, for me at least) exercise I've been doing for the past two months after living a completely sedentary life. I'm an accountant who commutes an hour to work and reading, watching movies, and needlework are my hobbies--no muscle builders there.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Exercise makes a big difference! Keep on going with your weight loss as well!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #13  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations on making your doctor happy.
After I lost 50 lbs., my doctor actually told me he was proud of me. That sounds a lot better than hearing "you need to lose weight."
I wish you the best with getting help with the depression. Keep up the good work!
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote