Old 07-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/173/150

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation So glad! Looking for Ketosis Support...

Hi, Im new here and I am sooooooo glad
that I am not the only one going "ketosis" ..

heres a summary of what im doing: 4 protein shakes a day (well balanced with minimal carbs, fat and adequate fiber and protein) and diet green teas...very low additional carb intake thru out the day. I plan on bringing back meat after a couple of weeks.

Ive been doing this for over a week now and have been successful..

It's kind of a mix between medifast and new direction..only im not being monitored. i passed all of the "new direction" labs..and got my GP's permission...
but Ive been reading different articles online and I get freaked out when some mention "potential fatality" from LCD's...is this a silly worry? Please tell me there are people out there who are doing this too!!!
Shugy247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

I can't really tell from your post . . . when you say "very low additional carb intake throughout the day," does that mean you're eating in addition to the shakes or are you using the shakes as your main source of food?
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #3  

No, the well balanced protein shake is my main source of food...by other carb intake i mean splenda in my green tea or carbs from my fiber supplement...but no food.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

How many calories are you getting per day? if its under 1200 your really putting stress on your body. Also, IMHO any liquid diet should be monitored by a professional... please be careful.

We can not give you any medical advice so make sure you speak to your doctor about the stuff you are reading, especially the warnings...I would be scared too.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I don't understand Atkins very well, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but I think I will jump in to second the notion that what you are doing sounds a little scary.

I realize very low carb diets are done with the intention of putting you into ketosis -- however, my only experience with ketosis is when my DH had to spend a week in the hospital and almost died from it. It was the worst experience of my life! Now he is a type 1 diabetic, so I'm talking about diabetic acidosis ketosis (DKA), which is deadly, but I believe the process of ketosis is the same - though less extreme (i.e. not good for your body).

Perhaps some who are more familiar with this will speak to it more intelligently, but what you are doing does not sound like Atkins to me (because I know people on Atkins eat real food and even vegetables!). I just hope you will be careful and check in frequently with your doctor to have bloodwork and all your vitals checked.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #6  

Oh, I just reread and see that you are not doing Atkins - I don't know much about the other plans you mentioned. Good luck, but please consider getting monitored closely by a physician - even if it's costly - too scary not to!
Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I would like to clarify Ketosis & Ketoacidosis...which are 2 different things.

Straight from the words of Dr. Atkins:
"Ketosis occurs when you are taking in a low level of carbohydrates from the food you eat, as you will be doing during the Induction phase of Atkins. Lipolysis results in the creation of ketones (that's ketosis) , a perfectly normal & naural function of the body.
In the minds of laypeople (and even some ill-informed doctors) ketosis is often confused with diabetic ketoacidosis. The latter is the consequence of insulin-dependant subjects having out-of-control blood sugar levels, a condition that can occur as well in alcoholics and people in the state of extreme starvation. Ketosis and ketoacidosis may sound vaguely alike, but the two conditions are virtually polar opposites. They can always be distinguished from each other by the fact that the diabetic in ketoacidosis has been consuming excessive carbohydrates and has high blood sugar, in sharp contrast to the fortunate person doing Atkins.
To avoid any further confusion, I will use the term lipolysis throughout this chapter to describe the process of buring fat for energy.
Many controlled carbohydrate regimens have been proposed over the years. They work with some degree of effectiveness for some people. However, many of them do not bring carbohydrate levels down to a level that will permit lipolysis. For people who are metabolically obese and have great difficulty losing, that is a great weakness.
Atkins on the other hand, starts off at 20 grams of carbohydrates. Each individual then proceeds at his or her own rate, gradually adding back both the amount and variety of carbohydrate foods. We'll get into the specifics of how you calculate grams of carbohydrate and which carbs you will and will not be eating in Chapter 8. For now, let me assure you that my state-of-the-art weightloss program is the safest, healthiest, most luxurious way to become and stay slim for the remainder of your life."

I would like to reiterate, the plan Shugy247 described is NOT Atkins. Those of us doing Atkins eat real, unprocessed foods and do not rely on protein shakes, green tea or Splenda as our only means of being in ketosis. Frankly...this sounds quite dangerous to me

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-12-2008 at 01:32 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #8  

Jersey - Thanks for the complete explanation. I was aware that the two were not the same, but I didn't really understand the difference.

BTW, my husband is a 30 yr. type 1 diabetic. He's a pump user and has fairly good control/maintenance. He has had only 2 episodes of DKA in 30 years; I was with him throughout one - like I said it was pretty awful. Both his episodes followed bouts of illness, which can be a common trigger for DKA. I don't want anyone to think DH is a wildly out of control diabetic - it's scary enough when it is under control!

Shugy - how's it going?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #9  

I really appreciate all of your input! This is only a temporary thing that I have been doing for 2 weeks as of this next tuesday. I will start allowing lean proteins in this week, along with the shakes..i know this is not part of the atkins plan, but it does fall into the Low Carb Diets category. I would not promote anyone doing this...After having a baby 6 months ago, i hit a plateau and wanted to get the ball rolling....ive been on diets all my life and know my body. So, this is not a fasting diet? I guess I should look for threads for fasting...
BTW, the shakes are considered meal replacements full of vitamins and im getting a minimum of 50 carbs per day.

So you have all been successful with Atkins? Maybe ill look into it....