Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 136/132/118

Height: 5'7

Default Anyone have a weakness for cereal?

I can turn away from many foods and have willpower, but I am obsessed with cereal. I love all kinds, all brands. Any one else have the same problem?
Slim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #2  

Me! Me! Me! I was practically raised on cereal. I also ate a lot of it in college. Fortunately I've finally got the cravings under control. Before I'd eat sugar filled diabetes inducing cereals like sugar smacks, coco puffs, lucky charms, golden grahams, etc.. I've since weened myself down to Fiber One Caramel Delight. I'll eat it every once in a while, rather than 2-3 times a day like I did pre-weight loss.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Yes, Yes, Yes. I love grape nuts and used to eat about three times the servings in one sitting. Now I throw a banana in whatever cereal I eat to take up more room in the bowl.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 136/132/118

Height: 5'7

Lucky charms and Reeses peanut butter puffs are my favorites. I eat Fiber One Honey Clusters every morning. I have to watch myself because I walk by the box and take handfulls all day long.
Slim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Mmmmmm, Fiber One Honey Clusters, yes! I eat them for lunch every day, and Kelloggs Complete Bran Flakes for breakfast. Cereal is just so easy and delicious. I could never go low carb!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #6  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Oh my WORD!

MEEEEEEE!! I DOOOO!!!!!

It's very, very rare that I don't have a bowl of cereal before bed. I know it's really bad for weight loss, and just an over all terrible habit - but I've decided that it's the ONE thing I just won't change. I'll run an extra mile in the morning, and skip dessert just so I can have my night time cereal!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

There was another post on cereal today. I will reply to this the same as I replied to that....
Cereal is evil and should be banished from the face of the earth!!!

I LOVE cereal. BUT...No matter how much I eat or when I eat it I am sooooo hungry about 1 1/2 to 2 later. I am talking about the kind of hunger where you could lick the paint off the walls or the little berry print off the dishes.

I now have 1/2 cup of Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola at noon with my berries and yogurt. That is all I will allow myself. But I look forward to that every day!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #8  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

cereal is a huge weakness for me
especially the chocolatey and/or sugary ones.

now I won't stock the house with anything but fiber one or raisin bran. occasionally i'll buy cookie crisp or something, but that's rare anymore. I'm trying to train myself.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Used to...

The more I don't eat it the easier it is to keep away. The empty carbs in the cereal play havoic in my system.

Mmmm... Cereal
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Having a divorced mother who worked 2 jobs meant most of what we ate for breakfast growing up was cereal. She just didn't have the time or energy to cook for us.

The habit of eating 'kids cereals' which are loaded with sugar and empty carbs stayed with me through college, 2 marriages and 4 children. The healthiest cereal I ate was frosted mini-wheats.

Since I began my low & healthy carb woe, it's been a struggle every morning...not because I'm 'craving' cereal so much but because...seriously...I just don't think I can handle another day of nothing for breakfast but egg (fried, boiled, whatever), sausage/ham or bacon and maybe a bit of cheese.

So, I started out a couple of weeks ago trying various soy milks. I think I've found one I like that isn't too high in sugar and empty carbs. I bought myself a big container of whey protein, a box of fiber one, and a package of raspberries today. Going to give it a try tomorrow.

Last edited by snapless; 07-12-2008 at 01:13 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

My DH has a big container of frosted miniwheats that I have been dipping into. I bought myself a box of the plain miniwheats for when I have a terrible carb/cereal craving. This works just fine until I start thinking about the frosted ones..

I think you should ask who doesn't like cereal. Bet there aren't many of us.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I had cereal this morning for breakfast. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either...just kinda ehhh. Will probably be eating it frequently because it is a good source of fiber, doesn't impinge much on my low carb woe and it kept me from staring at my daughter's cocoa puffs. I even used measuring cups to make sure I kept within allowances. I will probably be eating an egg with it every morning though, just for an increase in calories and volume.

I can tell you a single serving (1/2 cup) of Fiber One cereal looks very tiny in a bowl I used to overfill with sugary cereal, eat, fill again and eat again. Also, don't look to this cereal for flavor, there really isn't any. All it provides is a sense of 'crunch'. Added some fresh fruit for flavor.

Anyway, here is the info for anyone who wants to try it.

1/2 cup Fiber One cereal:
Calories: 60
Total Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 105mg
Total Carb: 25g
Dietary Fiber:14g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 2g
8 oz. 8th Continent Vanilla Soymilk:
Calories: 100
Total Fat: 3g
Sodium: 105mg
Total Carb: 11g
Dietary Fiber:0g
Sugars: 10g
Protein: 6g
**Note: I used exactly 1/4 cup so take the numbers for the soymilk and divide by 4. 1 cup (US) is almost exactly equal to 8 oz.

I also tossed in 5 medium sized fresh raspberries.
Calories: 5
Total Fat: 0g
Sodium: 0mg
Total Carb: 1.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0.6g
Sugars: 0.4g
Protein: 0.1g
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I like cereal and eat it several times a week for breakfast. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola , Smart Start, Raisin Bran, and Fiber One are the four I limit myself to now. I use skim milk and add banana slices to the Fiber One cereal. These are all high-fiber cereals with whole wheat/grains, so I don't worry about them too much.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I cereal, bot hot and cold. I eat a bowl of hot cereal (either oat bran or a multigrain hot cereal that is similar oatmeal) almost every day. I also eat 1/2 cup of High Fiber Cereal (from Trader Joe's and that's actually the name of it) every morning in my yogurt.

When we were kids, my sister and would eat bowl after bowl of sugary cereal for breakfast. I think the two of us could finish off a box of Fruity or Cocoa Pepples in one sitting. I'm pretty sure I could still do it today, but I never buy those cereals anymore. Before I started trying to control my weight, I ate probably two bowls of cereal (adult cereals, at least, but still sweetened) every morning for breakfast.

Snapless: If dairy isn't a problem for you, try stirring the Fiber One cereal into non-fat yogurt (Greek-style, if you like it). It will feel like more food than the cereal with soymilk and will also have a lot more protein--1 cup of non-fat yogurt has about 20g of protein, compared the 6g of protein in the 1 cup of soymilk.

Eskinomad: So long as you allow for it in your calories, I don't think eating a bowl of cereal before bed will have any impact on your weight loss. There's no scientific proof that eating after a certain time impedes weight loss; the reason people are usually told not to do that is because most people have a tendency to go over their calorie limit when they eat in the evening. But so long as you are measuring your cereal and you aren't exceeding your calories for the day, I think it is fine to have it as a snack before bed. Depending on the cereal you are eating, it might even be healthier than the dessert you are skipping to be able to eat it. I always have a sweet snack before bed--I've done it the entire time I've been losing weight and maintaining my loss and it certainly didn't keep me from reaching my goal.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-12-2008 at 11:19 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm another cereal eater. I have it pretty much everyday for breakfast and a lot of days as an evening snack. I normally opt for kix, cheerios, or smart start.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote