Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #1  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Just started weight training... normal muscle pain

Hey. I just started weight training (a little). My husband and I split our dumbell set so we managed to make 1-12lb dumbell for me and 1-17lb dumbell for him. We do 12 reps of each motion per arm and there are a LOT of different exercises we do with them. We work out on this routine together for 30 minutes. We just started it on Wednesday and we plan on doing it every other day.

Well since I haven't worked my arms extensively in probably 1.5 years, they fatigued quickly and in addition now, 2 days later my muscles still hurt.

I can physically do the routine but from your experience, is this good if you are still pretty sore or should one wait until they don't feel much pain until they start up again? I want to do it tonight, but I don't want to be causing more damage. What has been your experience?
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

48 hours is a good guideline. If you're still a little sore, but not in PAIN, I'd so go ahead.

I often have some residual soreness (like a good workout soreness) in some muscles when I'm ready to go back to that part of my body in my workout routine.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I agree with PhotoChick. If you are just a little sore, go ahead. If its pain then maybe wait another day.If you didn't or its not sore, maybe just do that tonight if your upper body hurts too much.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 07-11-2008 at 03:39 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #4  
Mel

Are you really just doing arms exercises? There's so much more of you and so many more things you can do!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #5  
Waiting on a hot body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Are you really just doing arms exercises? There's so much more of you and so many more things you can do!

Mel
The arms are what I'm having problems with as far as the pain going just from underuse.

I run 3 days/week, 3 miles... walk with my husband 3 days/week, 2 miles, 100 situps 3 times/week... rollerblade, tennis occasionally but all that is fine

The area I have the most work to do is on my arms. They are actually too skinny IMO...I wish the lower part of my body was thin! I need some tone in my arms, so that is the part we have added in. I guess technically the arm exercises also work shoulders and chest though... if that's what you are getting at.

We do every arm exercise that we can think of with a dumbells but if you have more suggestions, we are open to them! Thanks.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I found when I first started my muscle pain last a few days but often enough after my warm-up the pain would have subsided. So maybe see how you feel after you warm-up.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #7  
Waiting on a hot body

Thank you everyone. So I went ahead feeling just a little sore and I did the routine. Oddly, I wasn't sore at all the next morning. Problem is for some reason it felt like I didn't even get an arm workout. How confusing.