Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #1  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Default The Step Diet

I'm working hard on the step diet. I really like it, but would like to have a buddy. Is there anyone else here that does it? Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

Congratulations on your success with The Step Diet so far

I started logging 10,000+ steps per day for the first couple of weeks of June and was slowly losing weight. Then 3 weeks ago, my area started getting a lot of smoke from the California fires and I stopped and regained my weight. There isn't any reason why I couldn't get in my steps inside when I can't get out because of the air, so I would like to join you.

I can get the book from the library tomorrow for some guidelines. I know from my limited experience that this approach works. So off to put on my pedometer.

Last edited by CatR; 07-08-2008 at 03:05 PM.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #3  
Uggg... I goofed again.

YEAH! I am so excited! This seems to work for me and it's not very complicated. I am so glad to hear that you lost on it!

I've only lost 4 pounds, but hey... it's 4 pounds!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Love the book, The Step Diet

I think the book, The Step Diet, is just one of the best reads ever. It got the point through to me that as I lost weight I had to walk further to burn the same calories. And I just loved the idea of cutting one fourth out of a hamburger and tossing it.

It turned out not to be the way I lost my weight, but I have worn a pedometer daily for 30 months and remain a strong believer in walking.

So I'm not a candidate for being your weight loss buddy, but am a great enthusiast in what you're doing and I send you my best supportive thoughts.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #5  
Uggg... I goofed again.

OMG! I am so excited. It seems to be the only thing that has gotten my attention as well. I can't stand to count calories and envy those who can pull it off. I just try to eat 75% less and have done the same thing to a hamburger, the dogs love it!

Thanks for all the support. I'll keep posting. It's nice to know that others out there have read it and liked it too.

YEAH! CatR has a ticker!

Last edited by sassybiscuit; 07-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #6  

Well, 5015 "official" steps is a start. My first goal for the 3 weeks of July is based on 11,000 steps per day, since I was logging over 10,000 a day during the two week period I was wearing my pedometer.

Last edited by CatR; 07-09-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #7  
Uggg... I goofed again.

That sounds like a great start. I'm glad you had a pedometer laying around. I walked myself half to death yesterday and my legs hurt today. I didn't want to NOT meet my weekly goal and I had 3 bad days last week. The good news is that I made it! I got over 69,300 steps last week. I hope to get 72,500 this week.

I went back and looked at the total number of steps that I had laid out and somehow mis-added them. They are in an excel spreadsheet, so I'm not sure how I did it. I fixed my required total for the month. I want to put the spreadsheet in my blog but haven't figured out how to do that just yet. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by sassybiscuit; 07-09-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #8  

I got The Step Diet today and have started reading it. I was happy to find that there were step equivalents for other exercises. I weight train 2-3 times per week, which doesn't involve that many steps. In June, I was doing additional walking to get the 10,000 step minimum, so I was spending a lot of time on exercise on my weight training days. I am pleased to have a more reasonable way to go about this.

The air was clear, so I was able to take an hour's walk this morning. Today was also a big shopping day, so I nearly made up for yesterday's "official" step shortfall.

Last edited by CatR; 07-09-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #9  
Uggg... I goofed again.

I'm glad you can use other exercises too. I haven't sat down and really looked at that part yet. It's a nice day for a walk here too. I didn't get my steps yesterday, darn it. I was REALLY tired from the day before (15,000 steps is a lot to me!). I also had to work and Wednesday's seem to be my worst step day. I'll have to work on that.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #10  
banned

how bout using walking away the lbs for indoors?
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #11  

Unhappy

Thank you Andreaphilip3 for the suggestion about "Walk Away the Pounds". I don't have that one and it would be a good one for logging steps on days I can't get outside (like today when a lot of smoke has settled in my area).

Sassybiscuit,15,000 steps is a lot. That inadvertantly happened while I was gathering supplies for a car camping trip next week to Great Basin National Park. I went to a Walmart Superstore and Costco. The steps add up in a hurry with large stores like those. We hope to get away from the smoke. So far there aren't any major fires in eastern Nevada, but that is likely to soon change.

I came close to my goal today with a weight training session and 10 minutes on a rebounder (which the pedometer seemed to be able to handle). The smoke is supposed to persist through Saturday, so I'll try an aerobics DVD tomorrow.

Some days it does seem like it is really hard to get the steps in. If Wednesday is a hard day, could you "bank" some steps during the rest of the week? I hope your legs have recovered. It does take a while for the body to get used to longer periods of exercise.

I am continuing to read The Step Diet. I was surprised that it takes 27 steps for me to burn a calorie. I sometimes get a medium Frosty from Wendy's. I am guessing from the food charts at the back of the book that it takes about 12 megacalories to burn it off. I do about 6,000 steps per hour while walking at a moderate pace. That means that 2 hours of walking is needed to neutralize the calories! This book is a real reality check.

Last edited by CatR; 07-11-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #12  

The smoke cleared out this morning so I was able to walk outside. Got my steps in. Yeah!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #13  
Uggg... I goofed again.

Smile

Sorry I've been away. It's been a crazy night at work!

I have the Walk Away the Pounds videos - it's what I was donig when my knee went kaput. I like them a lot. It keeps track of how far you've gone on the screen, which always makes me feel like I'm making some sort of progress.

I work Wednesday through Saturday, 2nd shift. I'm stil struggling with my steps on the days that I work and this week has been especially hard. I was tired on Wednesday (from those 15,000) and then my hubby went out of town on Thursday (will be back on Sunday), so I have been tracking babysitters, etc. I got a promotion and my days will change in a few week (to Monday-Thursday, WHOO-HOO!), so that'll be another adjustment.

I am so glad that you did your weight training session! I'm even more glad that the smoke has cleared!

I think that I am going to take your suggestion about "banking" steps. I need a goal, so perhaps I'll sit down and figure out something doable when I get home tonight. I'm supposed to be off work at 11:30pm (now), but it's been nuts and I can't leave.

I've been reading the Step Diet as well. It's taking some getting used to. I'm currently trying to get a firm grasp on the mega-steps and such. I'm still confused. I would like to vary things a bit, though I think that I need to get a hold of what I already am trying to do before I go making changes. I don't want to lose track of the prize! I took the day off tomorrow (no childcare), so I shouldn't have a problem "banking" some!

That book IS a reality check! Since our night was so busy, the on-staff supervisor said she would get us all ice cream. The FIRST thought that came to my mind was "NO! I can't get enough steps!" LOL! The bad part of that is that I still haven't eaten all day. I had a Slim Fast shake because it was in my office fridge... that's it. I brought some frozen veggies (those steamers are great!), but I never got around to doing it. I suppose that I could do it now, but I think it's too late.

I'm gonna get on track if it's the last thing I do. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. I need to update my spreadsheet and look at my trends... more to come, of course!

Last edited by sassybiscuit; 07-11-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #14  

A Mega-step is just a unit of 1000 steps. It is confusing, but I think I am starting to figure things out. I am retired, so I have more flexibility for exercise and meals than you do. You really have some challenging days. I hope your new schedule in August makes things easier for you. I got my steps in today just by running errands and cleaning. Tomorrow will be weight training plus a bit of walking if I need it.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #15  
Uggg... I goofed again.

I am so glad that you are doing well! I'm still struggling, though I'm on track for the week. I hope to start weight training sometime soon. I have a membership to the gym, I just need to stabilize first I think!

Do you understand the BodySteps? I was reading through the book and it said that you Resting Metabolic Rate decreases as you lose weight, so you will have to exercise more to maintain your weight (p.80). I looked at the tables in the back and the BodySteps (the steps your body burns for you just because) increased as weight decreased. I have obviously gotten myself confused somehow, but can't figure out how. They said that the key to losing and maintaining was to make sure that your MegaStep value remains the same throughout your weight loss and after (p.70), though if the BodySteps increase when you lose weight, wouldn't that mean that you would have to exercise less? That doesn't make any sense.
Thanks!