South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Default Question

Ok, I got gordons fish fillets in my freezer, can I eat those on this diet for a lunch or whatever? I wasn't sure. Right now I don't got all the food I need for this diet, but I do got veggies and some Gordons Fish Fillets.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 AM   #2  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Are they breaded or just plain fish? Breaded no, plain probably.

What is in the ingredient list: flour, sugar, HFCS (High fructose corn syrup)? These are nos.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #3  

Those are definitely a no-no - more breading than fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #4  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Those things are really greasy, too... it seems like it's melting oil into your mouth when you eat them. I agree with the above, they're more breading than fish, and oil.

Hey Jellybean, I started Phase 1 really unprepared last time. And I screwed up on it badly. This time around I have waited until tomorrow, when BF gets paid, and have made out a menu and shopping list. I am starting Sunday. I was gonna suggest that maybe you should start Phase 1 when you have all the resources available and have gone to the grocery store with a shopping list. Until then you could try to eat as healthfully as possible (I know it's not always possible when there's not a lot of food in the fridge and cupboards) and watch your calorie and fat intake. That's what I've done, (with the exception of one day where we made two trips to Burger king) and on Sunday I'm restarting the Phase 1 again.

An example, you say you have a lot of veggies and the fish fillets. Well IMO the fish fillets aren't really all that healthy but, you could eat one serving, and a huge salad or roasted vegetables or whatnot as a side dish, until you have everything you need for the SBD. You could snack on veggies too, with one serving of ranch dressing or whatever you have, and stuff like that.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I have no idea what kind you have since you didn't give much information on the actual product. Gorton's makes a million different types of fish.

I checked their website, and obviously the breaded ones are out...but the grilled ones aren't so hot either. The only flavor that seems ok are the cajun blackened ones. The rest of the grilled ones contain sugar, corn starch, corn syrup, potato starch...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #6  

Good To Know, Thanks! Tonight unfortunately my father and brother wanted Spaghetti so I had made that, and had a plate, and now I feel guilty cause that prob packed back on the 3lbs of water weight I had lost the past two days. Now if I had just cooked healthy food for myself it would last all week and wouldn't be considered expensive, but I got others to cook for so it's almost impossible to do this south beach diet thing. I should just say to them all to cook for themselves, I have to live a different food lifestyle, LOL
Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I make spaghetti all the time for my family. When they want it, I make it. I just make something else for myself. I always have canned beans or frozen chicken breasts on hand, or something SB that's quick and easy to prepare. Open a can of beans, warm them up, add spices and lowfat cheese and you have a quick and easy & very filling meal.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #8  
beachin'

Most of us have others to cook for that aren't doing South Beach. I have a husband and a son to cook for who aren't participating in SBD.

Most of us are also on a budget - there are budget friendly options for SBD...you just need to know what they are. You mentioned yesterday how expensive salmon is...yes, it is expensive...if you're on a budget, maybe consider having chicken or turkey instead of salmon. Frozen veggies are much cheaper than fresh. I don't know how old you are, or if you have the ability to make decisions regarding the family budget....but it is easy to make this diet work on a budget.

It isn't impossible at all....there are substitutions one can make to make most any meal SBD compliant - want spaghetti? Have the sauce on spaghetti squash and make the pasta for the rest of the family.

I have a hard time accepting "I have to cook for other people so I can't do it" as an excuse....and that is exactly what it is, an excuse.

Last edited by zeffryn; 07-10-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #9  

Oh, around here everything is expensive.. my mom only buys healthy food when it's on sale, I have no say really in what she buys, cause she's not just feeding for me, she's buying for 2 other people that 'don't eat healthy' and junkfood is cheaper than healthy food.. I honestly don't know what to do unless I go out there and work and buy the food myself, but I have to find a job first, and it's hard when you have no previous job experience.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #10  
beachin'

Ask Melanie about inexpensive SBD meals, she is a prime example...she needs to feed her boyfriend and son on a very limited budget. My family lives on a budget as well. Most everyone here does.

It might be harder for you because your mom does the buying...you may not have much say in what actually gets purchased...but there ARE inexpensive healthy foods. Yes, junk food is usually cheaper....but there are always sales. Around here, chicken is on sale once every other week - so I buy and stock up. I buy frozen veggies when they are on sale to have on hand when I'm running low on fresh veggies. It doesn't take much effort or money to throw a chicken breast and some frozen broccoli on a plate. Lentils and beans are a great and really inexpensive protein......and I can promise you they are cheaper than most junk food.

When I go to the grocery store, I'm amazed at how expensive junk food actually is....chips are close to $4 a bag! The boxed macaroni and cheese that I lived on for a quarter a box in college is now over a dollar a box! Frozen pizza? $7! I can make my own for less than that!!

It takes effort to live a healthy life on a budget, you have no idea how much I wish that DH was finished with law school so it wouldn't be a problem anymore....but that isn't the case. So every week I scour supermarket ads and coupon inserts...everything that I can do to save a few extra dollars when I'm at the checkout is more money in our savings account at the end of the month.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Jelly, not sure what your situation is exactly but I think you should not give up so easily. I cook for a family too, and they eat what I eat and nobody has complained. If you are doing most of the cooking then I think you could have your family eating SB recipes without them even knowing it (if you think they'd have a problem with it). They are just healthy meals. Sometimes I make spaghetti and meatballs for the family and I make whole wheat noodles, or if I make regular noodles, I just have the meatballs and sauce with parmesan or mozzarella melted on top and a salad. How about, meatloaf, chili, taco soup, would they eat those things? I think you should talk to your mom about this, since you are trying to do the right thing for your health (and theirs), and if you do most of the cooking it seems fair that you should have some input to the grocery list. Maybe you could check out the flyer where she shops and see what healthy stuff is on sale and let her know. Even if you could cook up some chicken breasts for yourself once a week and keep them in the fridge, then on nights when they are eating things you don't want to eat, you will have an option. Keep some hardboiled eggs on hand. If I've got a can of black beans and a can of tomatoes with peppers in the cabinet, I've got a quick dinner for me. Your situation is difficult, but I think if you really want to do this, you can figure out a way.

Okay, thinking a little more about this, here are the healthy, SBD compliant foods that I consider a bargain:
canned tuna, bought on sale 50 cents/can
large containers of cottage cheese or plain yogurt (you can add your own flavorings if you want).
dried or canned beans
eggs
frozen veggies - not the little fancy steamer packs, but large sized bags of store brand frozen broccoli, etc. and spinach, which I consider a huge bargain considering how much fresh spinach it takes to make that little frozen block.
Meats that I can buy on sale for $1.99/lb or less - chicken breast, pork loin, lean hamburger, ground turkey.
This time of year the fresh veggies get pretty cheap.

Is it true that junk food is cheaper than healthy food? I've never bought too much junk, but it's always seemed to me like it's cheaper to cook stuff from scratch than buy it prepared.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 07-10-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #12  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

remember that phase 1 just lasts for 2 weeks and then you can have a serving of whole wheat pasta or brown rice etc......and if you really can't follow SB mabey doing a calorie counting plan might fit your life better. Personally I have not found healthy eating more expensive...just the opposite actually and our prices in canada are considerably higher than the USA....you just have to look for the specials on meat etc.....if your thinking of moving into your own place then for sure you would have more say in what you eat...but if you were to find a job and buy your own food that would also allow you alot more freedom in your choices etc.....
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Jelly, not sure what your situation is exactly but I think you should not give up so easily. I cook for a family too, and they eat what I eat and nobody has complained. If you are doing most of the cooking then I think you could have your family eating SB recipes without them even knowing it (if you think they'd have a problem with it). They are just healthy meals. Sometimes I make spaghetti and meatballs for the family and I make whole wheat noodles, or if I make regular noodles, I just have the meatballs and sauce with parmesan or mozzarella melted on top and a salad. How about, meatloaf, chili, taco soup, would they eat those things? I think you should talk to your mom about this, since you are trying to do the right thing for your health (and theirs), and if you do most of the cooking it seems fair that you should have some input to the grocery list. Maybe you could check out the flyer where she shops and see what healthy stuff is on sale and let her know. Even if you could cook up some chicken breasts for yourself once a week and keep them in the fridge, then on nights when they are eating things you don't want to eat, you will have an option. Keep some hardboiled eggs on hand. If I've got a can of black beans and a can of tomatoes with peppers in the cabinet, I've got a quick dinner for me. Your situation is difficult, but I think if you really want to do this, you can figure out a way.

Okay, thinking a little more about this, here are the healthy, SBD compliant foods that I consider a bargain:
canned tuna, bought on sale 50 cents/can
large containers of cottage cheese or plain yogurt (you can add your own flavorings if you want).
dried or canned beans
eggs
frozen veggies - not the little fancy steamer packs, but large sized bags of store brand frozen broccoli, etc. and spinach, which I consider a huge bargain considering how much fresh spinach it takes to make that little frozen block.
Meats that I can buy on sale for $1.99/lb or less - chicken breast, pork loin, lean hamburger, ground turkey.
This time of year the fresh veggies get pretty cheap.

Is it true that junk food is cheaper than healthy food? I've never bought too much junk, but it's always seemed to me like it's cheaper to cook stuff from scratch than buy it prepared.

Veggies I can always talk my father into getting, cause he knows the only veggie I really eat is broccoli, LOL, so that's no prob.. and i buy the birds eye steamfresh cause they actually cook right in the microwave unlike others. My mom orders stuff from Omaha, meats and fishes, but I looked at the nutrition on those and they got alot of fat and other stuff, wasn't sure that was healthy or not.. but not much I can order from that, lol

I got tuna here, not the one in light juice I don't think tho, but I don't like to eat tuna cause it leaves a nasty fish taste in my mouth, which would prob decrease my appetite, LOL. My mom buys cottage cheese all the time, but the reg, not special ones. Yogurt I can never eat cause I don't like it, I will only eat Dannon Light N Fit Strawberry, that's it, and even that I can't eat much of.

I got bush beans somewhere, but do I want to fart all day and night? LOL
BTW they say that bush beans helps ur bowels, well not much helps my bowels (i've been constipated for years) except ice cream and anything that has lots of dairy. I don't know if Prune Juice is exceptable on the SBD but if I need to I will have to drink it, ur bowels are important too.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #14  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Not sure what kind of fish your mom gets from omaha that has alot of fat...but if it is salmon then it is good fat....as long as their is nothing added to the fish like sauces etc then the fat in it would be healthy....and the steak if it is one of the cuts allowed and there is no sauce etc then it is okay.....there is good fats and we need fat in our diet.....

I'm with you on the tuna....i hate the taste so I chose other things like chicken instead....or shrimp (I got a huge bag of precooked shrimp at costco for a crazy good price).....mabey ask your mom if she would start getting the 1% cottage cheese or at least try it (it couldn't hurt even thin people to eat better and this is such a small change she probably won't notice)....and yogurt....I hated yogurt to...especially plain.....but I now add the SF jello crystals and it really is amazing tasting.

Bush beans....I can pretty much guarantee those will have sugar, mollasses etc in it...so it will be a big no on SB.....I don't know if Bush has beans that don't have added sugar. To get fiber into your diet try adding chickpeas to your salad or making a bean and veggie soup....or start off by making hummus.....if you start adding beans slowly you won't have your gas issues .....there is also beano that you can take that will also help with that. I am not positive but I am pretty sure prune juice is loaded with sugar so that would also be a no no on SB. but if you eat your veggies, slowly add beans to your diet and when you start adding carbs again get high fiber breads etc....you will be fine....and regular ....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes490 View Post
Not sure what kind of fish your mom gets from omaha that has alot of fat...but if it is salmon then it is good fat....as long as their is nothing added to the fish like sauces etc then the fat in it would be healthy....and the steak if it is one of the cuts allowed and there is no sauce etc then it is okay.....there is good fats and we need fat in our diet.....

I'm with you on the tuna....i hate the taste so I chose other things like chicken instead....or shrimp (I got a huge bag of precooked shrimp at costco for a crazy good price).....mabey ask your mom if she would start getting the 1% cottage cheese or at least try it (it couldn't hurt even thin people to eat better and this is such a small change she probably won't notice)....and yogurt....I hated yogurt to...especially plain.....but I now add the SF jello crystals and it really is amazing tasting.

Bush beans....I can pretty much guarantee those will have sugar, mollasses etc in it...so it will be a big no on SB.....I don't know if Bush has beans that don't have added sugar. To get fiber into your diet try adding chickpeas to your salad or making a bean and veggie soup....or start off by making hummus.....if you start adding beans slowly you won't have your gas issues .....there is also beano that you can take that will also help with that. I am not positive but I am pretty sure prune juice is loaded with sugar so that would also be a no no on SB. but if you eat your veggies, slowly add beans to your diet and when you start adding carbs again get high fiber breads etc....you will be fine....and regular ....

Fiber don't seem to help my bowel irregularities, I've had issues with my bowels basically since I was born.. nothing but dairy products seem to help.
Closed Thread