South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Default Cooking The Salmon Recipe From The Book Tonight

I am cooking the salmon recipe tonight to try out.. one question.. what is oven to broil mean? and second this recipe and many others have high fat in them and sodium.. how the **** do you lose weight on that? lol
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Which salmon recipe? Is it posted here or in one of the SB cookbooks?
As to salt, I'm not sure how much salt you consider too high, but I don't have any health issues that require me to limit salt, so I don't worry about it. In general if you are cooking from scratch you are getting less salt than eating at restaurants or processed food. If you are drinking enough water, it will get flushed through your system.
For fat, SB is not a low fat diet, but we stick to healthy unsaturated fats, and we are limited to 2T or 2 servings/day. Not sure how this recipe stacks up in that respect, but there are some SB recipes I make that I consider a little high in fat (Chicken Divan being one). I don't make it too often, but when I do, I take it into consideration in my daily intake and will make sure I am not getting more than the recommended amount for the day. Getting enough fat is as important as not getting too much as healthy fats are needed for nutrition and to help keep us feeling full and satisfied longer.
I have lost more than 60 lbs in this way over the last year, so it does work for me!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #3  
Supermom

S/C/G: 233/233/175

Height: 5'9

I was concerned about the fat in this diet too, but decided to follow the plan anyway, and i have noticed an improvement in my nails, hair and skin. Before, on a very low fat diet, my hair was very brittle and it has a luster now. i dont know whether to attribute it to SB or not, but its the only big change ive made in a while!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #4  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Most ovens have a broiler so that you can cook the meat in the oven or down below the oven with only the heat coming from the top. This method sears/browns things much quicker. But how you set it depends upon your oven.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

The difference with SBD and low fat diets is that SBD uses "good" fats. Fats are essential for the body - especially the brain. If you severely limit your fat intake, you risk doing damage to vital organs in your body. SBD's mantra, if you will, is getting the ratios of fat/protein/carbs right so that your body can work more efficiently....the more efficiently your body works, the easier it will be able to let go of excess pounds.

Realize that SBD isn't telling you to go pick up a bucket of fried chicken - because that would be bad fat. They espouse the use of olive oils and other fats that are low in saturated fat, yet high in the nutrition that our bodies use as fuel.

Salmon is a relatively fatty fish - but it is loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids which are vital for a healthy diet and life.

Like someone else mentioned, cooking at home will allow you to control the amount of salt and fat that you include in a recipe. If you compared your salmon recipe to a restaurants salmon recipe...you would be shocked at how much higher in sodium - and probably fat/calories - that the restaurant version was. Their job is to make it taste good...not to make it healthy.

Without looking at the recipe...it's pretty difficult to answer these questions. I take oven to broil to mean setting to oven to a broil setting, which turns on the heating element on the top of the oven and provides very high heat. Without the context though, it is rather difficult to say.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #6  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Yes as others have mentioned just put your oven to "broil" instead of say 350...but make sure to watch it because it can be easily burned if left to long and trust me if you forget about it under broil you might have charcoal for dinner (I am speaking from experience )........I don't know what the recipe is but you might be able to get away with just baking it and then finishing it under the broiler if you won't be able to tend to it while it is cooking......

Last edited by greeneyes490; 07-09-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes490 View Post
Yes as others have mentioned just put your oven to "broil" instead of say 350...but make sure to watch it because it can be easily burned if left to long and trust me if you forget about it under broil you might have charcoal for dinner (I am speaking from experience )........I don't know what the recipe is but you might be able to get away with just baking it and then finishing it under the broiler if you won't be able to tend to it while it is cooking......

I don't think my oven has a broil setting.. it has shelves if you wanna cook closer to the heat elements though.. my oven came from the 1980s-1990s, so I'm not sure what it has and what it doesnt, lol
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #8  

I tell ya though, it costed a little more than $20 just for tonights dinner buying all the ingredients from the store.. that's outrageous.. I live in CT btw, so it may be more high priced than where everyone else lives.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #9  
beachin'

You can just modify it and bake it instead of broiling. It will just not have as nice of a crust on top.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #10  
beachin'

Good salmon is expensive. There are cheaper ingredients.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Good salmon is expensive. There are cheaper ingredients.

thats the only salmon they had at the store, besides salmon steaks which isn't the same thing.. stores in my town suck, literally, most times they have crap cause nobody stocks the shelves or they are cheap and just don't pay to get everything.. so they prob make it so people have to buy the expensive and not the cheap cause they don't have the cheap so they can make more money.. it's bull and i'd complain about it to the manager if i could cause it's rediculous.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #12  
beachin'

salmon steaks are the same....just a different way of cutting the fish.

What I meant by cheaper ingredients - chicken, for instance is much cheaper than salmon.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #13  
Supermom

S/C/G: 233/233/175

Height: 5'9

salmon is a wonderful treat though. i love fish, but just cant afford to eat it like i want to. so, i cook it when i want to treat myself. also, a few nights a week, we have meatless meals. but thats easy for us since my husband wont eat pork, red meat or fish.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #14  

Well, my oven did have a broil button but you have to set a temp with it i guess and it didn't say whaat to get it at, so I just baked it at 400 degrees for prob 20 min at least, I dunno.. but turned out great anyway.. My father and brother loved it, and so did I. I'll be making that recipe again hopefully
Closed Thread