Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Default Beets!

So I bought a bunch of beets at the farmer's market the other day and I have no idea what to do with them. Every time I open the fridge, they peek out from the drawer with these pitiful looks on their faces, just begging me to do something with them. I usually juice them or add them to my salad, but I am looking for something a little more interesting, possibly involving cooking them.

Does anyone have any tried and true beet recipes? Rockinrobin, I know you have some in that arsenal of yours!!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I roasted some tonight, with onions. Tossed in a little vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper, then roasted @ 375 for about 45 mins to an hour, depends on the size/amount of beets. They were WAY yummy!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #3  
Lovin' Zumba!

I'll be getting some from my CSA Thursday, so I could use some suggestions as well!
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #4  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

One of my favorite salads --grated (or thinly chopped) fresh beets, lemon juice, olive oil, sesame seeds, salt & pepper.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I was just talking to someone who made roasted beets... they peeled and sliced them first... they said they were incredible.

I've cooked them by wrapping whole beets in aluminum foil (after cutting off the tops) and baking them. Honestly, I don't remember how long or at what temperature. A quick google search suggests 375 to 400 F, for 45 minutes to an hour. The skin slides right off after they're done... and with so little prep work, your hands/counters/clothes don't risk getting stained as much.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Thanks, ladies!!!

I had my first go-round this afternoon. I roasted the beets with a light vinegarette and red onions and salt and pepper- it was delicious!!

BFL- I also added the swiss chard I got at the farmer's market (we must be hitting the same stand because I bought that on a whim even though I have never really used it before). I kept the ribs/stems in the roast so it would hold up a little better. It was really good!

Drina, I'm going to try your salad tomorrow. Thanks! Keep 'em coming...

Last edited by junebug41; 07-09-2008 at 05:48 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

You can also boil them in their skins until tender (with a fork test), place in colander and rinse them under cold water. When they're cool enough to handle, you can use your hands to rub the peel away. Then you can slice and eat warm, as is, or saute them in a little olive oil or butter with any seasonings you'd like. I mixed them with sauteed onions, hot pepper dice and red wine the other night and found them delicious.
The easiest ever recipe for swiss chard is slicing away the spine, roughly chopping the greens and putting them on top of water and rice that you're about to boil. They cook while the rice cooks and then you have this great greens/rice dish - add salt and pepper and it's ready to eat. I had this last week (used basmati rice that cooked for 30 minutes but regular white rice for 15 minutes works too).
Enjoy!!
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote