Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #1  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default Swiss chard?

I'll be getting some in my CSA share this week - any suggestions as to what I can do with it?
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Whatever you do with cooked spinach. It's not nice raw like spinach in salads, but it's nice cooked.

So ??? the last thing into a stir fry ... cooked for another veggie ... lasagne ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Swiss chard and navy bean soup!

I actually do like it in salads, but I like bitterish greens
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This was in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (which was a PHENOMENAL book, by the way, I highly recommend it).

Quote:
EGGS IN A NEST from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

(This recipe makes dinner for a family of four, but can easily be cut in half.)

2 cups uncooked brown rice
Cook rice with 4 cups water in a covered pot while other ingredients are being prepared.

Olive oil – a few tbsp
1 medium onion, chopped, and garlic to taste
Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil in a wide skillet until lightly golden.

Carrots, chopped
½ cup dried tomatoes
Add and sauté for a few more minutes, adding just enough water to rehydrate the
tomatoes.

1 really large bunch of chard, coarsely chopped
Mix with other vegetables and cover pan for a few minutes. Uncover, stir well, then use the back of a spoon to make depressions in the cooked leaves, circling the pan like numbers on a clock.

8 eggs
Break an egg into each depression, being careful to keep yolks whole. Cover pan again and allow eggs to poach for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve over rice.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I use chard in some salads - depends on what else you're having. It's also nice mixed with other greens. If it's exceptionally "ribby" I cut the ribs out, esp for a salad, but also for cooking. But then I cut the ribs out of romaine and don't much like celery. Maybe it's just me.....

We at a lot of chard though. It's great just barely wilted with a mild vinegar on it. Or sautee some onions and peppers and when they're just about ready, put in your torn up chard and stir until it's just wilted. It's also good in a cream sauce, or with bacon, but those ways are not exactly calorie friendly!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

It makes a great pie/frittata. Saute with a little evoo and garlic, scoop into pie pan, top with a few whipped eggs (maybe 5 or 6?) and sprinkle with some lf cheese. I like swiss cheese and some fresh herbs. Bake until set.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Here are some of favorite ways to prepare swiss chard:

Chard Braised in Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1 bunch chard (around 10 oz)
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 3 oz onions, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 to 2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Separate the green leafy parts of the chard from the stems. Tear the leafy parts into big pieces and dice the stems into 1/2 inch pieces.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add chard stems and onions and saute until tender.

Add garlic, chard leaves, salt, peppe, and red wine vinegar. Saute until leaves are wilted and vinegar is absorbed. Add more vinegar if the pan dries out before the leaves are cooked enough.

Makes two side-dish servings at about 90 calories each.

Apple-Chard Chicken
  • 8 oz chard
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 pound chicken breast, diced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced (about 4 oz)

Separate the green leafy parts of the chard from the stems. Dice stems and tear or chop leaves into big pieces.

Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over med-high. Add chicken, chard stems, salt, and pepper to skillet. Saute until chicken is cooked on all sides and beginning to brown.

Add garlic to skillet and saute a minute or so more.

Add mustard, cider, and apple slices to pan. Simmer for about five min or until liquid is reduced. Stir in chard leaves and simmer until wilted.

Makes 4 main-dish servings at about 185 calories each.

Baked Cheese Polenta with Swiss Chard
  • 12 oz swiss chard
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups fat free chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup polenta
  • 1 oz goat cheese
  • 1 1/2 tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp nonfat yogurt

Separate the green leafy parts of the chard from the stems. Dice stems and tear or chop leaves into big pieces.

Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over med-high heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add chard stems and 2 tbsp water, cover and cook for 5 min. Add chard leaves, cover and cook for 5 min more. Remove from heat.

Place chicken broth, salt, and polenta in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add cheeses.

Spoon half the polenta into a 1 qt casserole dish, spreading evenly. Top with chard mixture. Spoon yogurt over chard and top with remaining polenta. Bake at 400 for 20 min.

Makes 4 side-dish servings at about 130 calories each.

Chard-Wrapped Chicken
  • 2 tbsp fresh dill, oregano, or sage
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 oz nonfat cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz) light feta cheese, crumbled
  • 6 chicken breasts, about 6 oz each
  • 6 swiss chard leaves

Mix herbs, garlic, pepper, cream cheese, and feta cheese.

Top each chicken breast with a little of the feta mixture. Wrap in a chard leaf and place in a casserole dish. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes, until chicken is cooked. The chard will get a little crispy.

Makes 6 main-dish servings at about 150 calories each.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I was a swiss chard newbie this week, too! I discovered that it's a very hearty vegetable and I threw it in with roasts and stir-frys alike. The stems were also a nice alternative to celery, with a better flavor (when cooked). the first dish I made was a roast with a couple of tiny red potatoes, red onions, beets, garlic, and swiss chard with a little vinaigrette. The second dish was mushrooms, onions, swiss chard, and some petite diced tomatoes thrown in to "steam" in a pot (I sauteed the onions and garlic first). I was actually very impressed with how well it stood up to heat.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/190/145

Height: 5'7"

I like it in a fritatta. Check out the book "Simple Food" by Alice Waters. Lots of great recipes!!
waterski chick is offline   Reply With Quote