Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #1  

Default Post Chemo

Hi,

I had successful chemo ending last year in february. I am no longer on any followup meds. But, I did have to take steroids for 12 months and gained about 20lbs. I am getting periods again finally. But I have wieght in places I have never had weight before, my ribs, stomach back, under my arms. I was very athletic pre cancer and still am, I run about 2 miles a day and do at least 40 mins of cardio a day. Not a pound off despite my efforts. I am 46 years old.

does anyone know anything about what is going on? Do steroids do permanent damage to your metabolism? Any suggestions? I am worried more about my health, keeping weight off is recommended in preventing recurrance.

thanks,

L.
lauren624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #2  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 194.6/188.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Lauren. Welcome, and congratulations on completing your chemo and meds!

I don't know the answer to the steroids question - I hope you'll find one soon! It must be very frustrating. Have you tried doing anything specifically to target your new problem areas? Maybe some weights or some other kind of resistance exercises in addition to the cardio? I don't know if it would help or not!

Good luck!

Carol
Carrie3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Congrats on your hard recovery!!!!
I got interested and researched this a little. There's not much info on long term effects of steroids used to treat cancer, other than it suppresses the immune system. Most of the articles talked about steroids used in sports. Have you asked your doctor about the effects?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #4  

Default thanks

You know, I just don't know. I have done all kinds of work to target areas to no avail. I even hired a reputable personal trainer and she got frustrated after three months. My docs say chemoe just does weird things to your body and really have no other explanation than to get my thyroid checked. I do about 40 minutes of cardio a day plus weights about 4 times a week. i also walk about 2 miles a day with a friend. i don't drink and don't binge on anything but ben and jerrys about once a month. It is frustrating to say the least. I started weight watchers today and have my fingers crossed. I want to get this 20 lbs off simply to lower the health risks, and sure it would help to fit into my old clothes!

thanks for the support!

Lauren
lauren624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Lauren,
Glad to hear your chemo is through and you're on your way to getting/being healthy again. I know you want to lose 20 lbs., but I would suggest that you not get in a wad over it. Like your Dr said, chemo does weird things to your body. As long as you are eating healthy wholesome foods and getting moderate exercise, don't worry if the weight won't come off. You might have no control over it and you'll just get frustrated. Focus on taking care of yourself, not what the scale says.

Best wishes

Last edited by ddc; 07-09-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo!!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote