Old 07-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #1  

Unhappy Where to start?

I'm so depressed. I really want to lose weight, but I don't even know where to start.

I've tried Medifast, WW, Low-cal, Low-carb, etc. I really want to lose weight, and the truth is - I'm lazy. I'm just lazy, and I want to change. Can anyone help me? Some words of wisdom? Some advice? Recommendations?

Thanks. I hope someone can help.
Hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just take one day at a time . . . if you look at the big picture, it can get sooooo discouraging. Take the best things from the plans you've tried in the past and create your own special and totally individualized healthy eating program.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Oh Tabitha! Hugs to you, first and formost. I can feel your pain and frustration and it's understandable, because weight loss is hard. Weight loss goes against our instincts to eat. We have instincts to eat. We don't have instincts to do drugs, you know what I mean? Nobody expects you to do heroin in moderation and yet we're expected to do so w/ food. I'm a food addict, so I know what it is to be out of control, to feel hopeless and to feel like it's just too much to handle.

That said, you want change and that is good. It's a good start. You have to make a pact with yourself to start today. Don't have a last pig out session before you start tomorrow. Second, you need to find a diet that you can live with. Medifast is too extreme...WW is great, but you've been there done that. I personally like counting calories. Yes, it's tedious and annoying, but not as tedious and annoying as being overweight, right? Third, you gotta move more. Take baby steps to workout every single day. Be active, every single day. Figure out how many calories you need to eat and stick to it. Come here and post often and check often what others are saying or doing. THere are LOTS of different forums for lots of different advice.

Finally, take it 5 lbs. at a time. That doesn't sound too tough, right? Thinking of the huge goal is too much....start small and take those baby steps. In a year from now, you'll look back at this day as the day that your life became yours. You became the boss of your body.

I hope you find a great plan and follow it...it's not about motivation...it's about commitment.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #4  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

start small. I know what it's like to have the big picture be discouraging, trust me.

Did you drink enough water today? What about exercise? It doesnt have to be a lot of exercise... start with something comfortable.. and do it for 20 minutes every day. Once you've done a week of drinking enough water and moving every day.. you could start keeping a food journal for a week. Then eventually decide on a food plan you want to follow. Something you can maintain.

Small changes, slowly are the ones you'll be able to maintain.. and keep weight off in the long haul. It cant be temporary, like most diets. Dont be depressed you want to change... and that's huge! Be proud of yourself and start small
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

if you want to start somewhere simple check out the no s diet www.nosdiet.com it really is a simple idea and then later you can tweak it to meet your needs but it takes no book, no special foods, etc. A good place to start
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #6  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

I feel for you. I have been on every diet known to woman. And a few I should have never gone near. And they all ended the same way... I, a little lighter, a little smaller, on a downward spiral to re gaining all the lost pounds. And those pounds bringing a bunch of their friends to the party.

The fact that you are ready for a change is good. Really good. It means that you are ready. I love the advice you have already received. I don't have much to add.

I am also counting calories. I like the flexibility and ease of this plan. I love that it is a way of eating I can use for the rest of my life. I am really glomming on to the advice and support I am finding here. Since I joined this site, I have had more good days than bad. In fact, since I joined, I haven't had a binge. That isn't to say that I won't. I know that I will. And I now have the tools and support to deal when it happens.

I hope that you begin. With whatever plan is right for you. That you stick around, read a lot, post a lot and let us be here for you. Let us lift you up, support you and cheer for you.

Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #7  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I think your first step is to STOP telling yourself that you're "just lazy." That kind of mentality is defeating. Start telling yourself that you ARE capable -- of losing weight and of basically anything you put your mind to -- and then you can devise a plan of attack. But the belief in yourself, imo, has to come first. you can do this -- good luck
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #8  

Hi, Tabitha, you're not alone. I've been there and I'm sure a million other people have been too. When you get overwhelmed and frustrated like that, it's best to just back off for a little while. Instead of starting a new diet, why don't you just make a commitment to eat healthy for a month. Check out the food pyramid guidelines and learn to judge proper portion sizes. If you have the urge to overeat, make sure the food you're eating is nutritious. Start limiting sodas and sweet drinks and add more water. Start taking a walk every day, even if it's only for ten minutes. In other words, take dieting out of it; don't worry about "starving yourself" but just make a goal of wiser food choices for awhile. I think what will happen is that you'll discover after a month you've lost some weight and will feel stronger and more in control and may be ready to pick a plan then...good luck!!
gmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

You've taken an excellent first step in coming here. I keep telling people who ask me, "How did you lose weight? How can I do it?" that the first step is WANTING to do it for you, and for nothing else. You can't want to do it for a husband or boyfriend, or a certain article of clothing you'll wear one time. You have to want it because it'll be hard. This place is an excellent source for support and encouragement.

I started by picking a method (calorie counting in my case) and researching what to do. I found a website that I use to track the food I eat every single day. Every single morsel of food. I set my goal calories using information I researched and got to business eating better. Workouts also started slowly, and picked up.

It may take a few weeks (or a month in my case) but you'll see results if you stick with it! You can do it!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #10  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Tabitha,

I have learned to NOT say that I'm going on a DIET. I have to make choices everytime I put something in my mouth--is it good wholesome healthy food that is going to nourish my body? I do slip up sometimes (especially when eating out) but you've gotta not beat yourself up about it. Each time you eat is the time to do something good for your body and health.
Watch your portion sizes. In today's world of super-size, I think we've lost sight of what a normal portion size is. Take the time to sit down and focus on your food. Chew slowly and pay attention to what you're eating. When you blindly shove it in you don't even notice what you've eaten, much less tasted it and enjoyed it. No mindless eating (snacking in front of the tv).
Try using smaller plates and glasses. Don't drink alot of calories. I only drink water now.
You can do it. It may seem like a slow process, but if you take it slow you'll be making changes that you can stick with for life.

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote