Old 07-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Masking the taste of egg whites in a smoothie

I'm admittedly not a very experienced cook. Yesterday I tried to make myself a smoothie with three apricots, a cup of milk, 3/4 of a cup of egg whites and about two cups of ice. Well, actually, I initially tried this with a banana instead of apricots, but the taste of banana and egg whites together tasted a little bit like I imagine garbage would, so I tried again with the apricots. I could drink it, but there was still an unpleasant sort of aftertaste. I'd like to keep the option of using egg whites open, since the main reason I tried this was that I'm having trouble getting enough protein in my diet.

Have you ever tried to incorporate egg whites into smoothies? How do you minimize that taste?
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Oh, I am sorry, but the very idea makes me so queasy!

Why not cook them if you must eat them?

Sorry, not much help. I can't imagine it tasting good or having a good texture.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

3/4 of a cup of egg whites is a LOT of egg whites compared to the other ingredients. Generally if I make a smoothie with egg whites I add ONE. Maybe two if I'm mixing with other dense, flavor rich ingredients.

But honestly I'm not a big fan of raw egg whites. I am not terribly concerned about salmonella ... mostly I can't wrap my mind around the sliminess of egg whites.

If you want the protein, add plain yogurt, or cottage cheese, or even a scoop of whey protein powder instead.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Also not a raw egg white fan. You can buy powdered egg whites, but I've never used them as they're more expensive than seperating fresh eggs. But I only use egg whites in omelettes and scrambled eggs (I use one whole egg and 2 to 4 egg whites).

I would suggest trying the egg white powder or other protein powders (and you might have to try a few to find one you like).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #5  
it's always something

I'm with everyone else on this It sounds very unappetizing, and it's also not safe.

If you go to a vitamin or sports nutrition store such as Vitamin Shop, you can buy powdered egg whites as recommended by some body builders and used in smoothies. You might also consider a whey protein mix. You can combine a scoop in a fruit smoothie and most taste very good. Some brands also sell trial size packets so you can experiment until you find the one you like.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Impala - It sounds like what you are after is a higher protein smoothie. You could skip the egg whites altogether and use a scoop of whey protein (or other kind) powder - vanilla - to add protein in your diet and not have to worry about the taste or danger of raw eggs.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Eeeh, I'm with the rest of the group. I don't think I could handle my smoothie with raw egg white. I use yogurt and whey protein powder, but you could also use cottage cheese (I don't care for the saltiness cottage cheese adds personally).
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

You should definitely look into some protein powders. There are some that are even made out of the protein from egg whites... but the ones I see most often are made from whey or soy.

There are so many options out there that you can get pretty much anything you want if you look hard enough -- a powder with no artifical sweeteners, or with hardly any carbs, or that dissolves easily, or unflavored, fruit flavored, etc.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote