Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default has anyone ever grilled watermelon?

I was browsing online and ran across a recipe for grilled watermelon salad! I've never heard of grilling watermelon. Has anyone tried it?

Here's the link to the recipe, it's in the Washington Post. I would probably tinker with it to cut the calories and fat. But the idea of grilling watermelon was most intriguing

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/r...ermelon-salad/
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

We grill fruit all the time .. including watermelon. It's yummy. You have to be careful not to burn it because it will get bitter and pulpy.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I've done peaches and pineapple but I would have thought watermelon had too much water and wasn't solid enough. I suppose you need to do it in thick chunks.

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering what I'd do with the whole watermelon I just picked up. Will give this a try later today (if it doesn't rain).
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #4  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I have never thought to grill fruit before, especially watermelon. Dear heavens I have to try this...
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #5  

Oh my! Grilled peaches are to die for. Cut them in 1/2, set them face down on the grill over low heat ... droooooolllll. We serve 'em with grilled pork loin. Yummy.

Grilled bananas are one of my favorite desserts ... then serve with a little low fat yogurt.

Grilled apples are even better than baked apples, IMO, brushed with a little brown sugar syrup while they're on the grill.

We also make "shish kebab" with fruit sometimes and brush it with balsamic vinegar ... tht's a treat!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

What if you don't have a grill? Has anyone tried roasting it in the oven, like peaches, or pineapple? Or is it just considered baked fruit then?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

wonder if they would work on a george forman type grill?? sounds yummy to me!!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #8  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Ok, tried it and I have to give it a thumbs down.

I love to cook and try new things but the somewhat smokey flavor from the grill did not work with the sweet watermelon for me. That's an interesting thought on the George Foreman grill - will it get it hot enough to carmelize but no smokey taste?

I'll be eating the rest of my watermelon plain or in a nice fruit salad - will leave the grilling for other fruits.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #9  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Oh my! Grilled peaches are to die for. Cut them in 1/2, set them face down on the grill over low heat ... droooooolllll. We serve 'em with grilled pork loin. Yummy.

Grilled bananas are one of my favorite desserts ... then serve with a little low fat yogurt.

Grilled apples are even better than baked apples, IMO, brushed with a little brown sugar syrup while they're on the grill.

We also make "shish kebab" with fruit sometimes and brush it with balsamic vinegar ... tht's a treat!!!

Stupid question, but how do you know when it's done? I have to admit, I don't know much about working a grill. The men in my family, as well as past SO's, are all extremely territorial when it comes to their grills, so I'm a little clueless about grilling in general. And grilled fruit is definitely a new item for me!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 136/132/118

Height: 5'7

Sounds good. I have only had grilled pineapple not watermelon.
Slim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #11  

Grilled fruit you mostly have to judge by the look and feel. As it starts browning and gets soft, it's done. Eventually you learn to time it. I'd say a 1/2 peach is about 2ish minutes on low heat? A banana a little less.