South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Songs to include on a workout soundtrack?

Yesterday, I did a workout DVD, today, I worked out to a lot of songs I've got on my windows media player playlist. I marched in place to the beat, doing arm movements with my handheld 1lb walking weights, along with knee lifts, jumping, "running" in place, (it was similar to the stuff I learned in the DVD and also similar to Leslie Sansone stuff) and chose different songs (some up tempo, others slower). I think that is sort of based on the interval training theory or something like that, where you do one fast and intense exercise for a few minutes, and slow it down some the next, and then back up to fast and intense again... I heard it burned more calories. Either way, I certainly worked up a sweat so I was doing something right. Anyway I chose two slower songs to gently wind down at the end. I need some song suggestions to add to my workout playlist. I am open to ANYTHING except for artists I really, really hate (Britney Spears, ICK!) I am 70% rock, 30% rap/R&B/hip hop... a bit eclectic.

Here's some examples of some of the songs I used in my workout today:

Paramore- Misery Business, and Emergency (the dun dun dunn dunnn of the guitars, is very bounceable)

Madonna ft. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland (very up tempo)

Danity Kane ft Missy Elliot- Bad Girl,
Danity Kane ft Lil Wayne- Phase

Kent- Ingenting (swedish rock band, this particular song has a techno-y dance-ish vibe which makes it a great workout track)

Busta Rhymes- Break Ya Neck

and to wind down, I used Amy Winehouse's "back to black" and Rihanna's new song, "take a bow."

There were more songs than that, but I was just mentioning a few. Those songs are more danceable and so, were more appropriate for a workout, although I do prefer rock.

Any song suggestions are greatly welcome. What do YOU listen to when working out?
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #2  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

I like "venga boys", boom boom boom....very quick and up beat.....an old 60's song call "shout".......a song called "ceilia".....some stuff by "pink" are some of my fav's
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #3  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd say Suddenly I See by KT Turnstall is just about my favorite song of all time for working out. That and Sandstorm by Darude- not in the sort of music you mentioned, but I really love it. The music video is people running. It is, in my opinion, God's gift to workouts. And the best part is, it works for me both during slower, easy workouts and when I've got a cramp in my side and three minutes to go and I feel like I'll never make it.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

My favorite workout song is "Bohemian Like You" by the Dandy Warhols. Other songs on my extremely eclectic workout playlist are: Weezer's "Hash Pipe", Korn's version of "Word Up", Disturbed's cover of "Shout", Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealin'", Smash Mouth's "Walkin' on the Sun," the Offspring's "Come Out and Play," and Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name of." More mellow, but still fun songs to work out to, once you're pumped, are Death Cab for Cutie's "Crooked Teeth," Decemberists' "O Valencia," Fountains of Wayne's "Someone to Love," the Streets' "Fit but You Know It," Jane's Addiction's "Jane Says," Lily Allen's "Smile," and Weezer's "Beverly Hills."
If you like a bawdy laugh during your warm up or cool down, try Flight of the Conchords' "Business Time" or Ween's "P*** up a Rope."
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #5  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

This couldn't have come at a better time! I was just thinking I neeed to update my music. Thanks for the great ideas. What I have on my iPod:
Animals by Nickelback (very quick tempo!), Bleeding Love(Dance Mix) by Leona Lewis, Please Don't Stop the Music by Rihanna, Pump It Up by Black Eyed Peas, Shut up and Drive by Rihana, Wake Me Up Inside by Evanescence, and my favorite Stringer by Kanye West to name a few.
Thanks for the ideas!!
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #6  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

TYPO - that should say Stronger by Kanye West
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

I love getting ideas like these, too; thanks.
Some of mine were songs I found on various peoples' iTunes workout mix lists (and a lot are from listening to my 15 year old son's music...)..

meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #8  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

hmm...something tells me you would hate what I work out to...
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 118/123/112

Height: 5'3

break the Ice by britney spears... helps me alot !
Noraa627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Right now?

Y Control - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I see you baby - Groove Armada
Hung Up - Madonna
These Words of Mine - Natasha Bedingfield
Promiscous - Nelly Furtado
One Big Holiday - My Morning Jacket
By the Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
This is the one - The Stone Roses
New Born - Muse
Blue Moon - The Marcels
Union City Blue - Blondie
She is Beautiful - Andrew W.K.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

When I had my gazelle I used to exercise to Avril Lavigne songs like Losing Grip, mostly pop songs as it would energize me..
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #12  
Healthy mommy

Haha, Meggoat, Korn's "word up" is one of the songs I've got on my playlist. Was planning on incorporating it into today's workout. Other songs I've got that you guys mentioned are Leona Lewis, Rihanna, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's (I've got the CD's, so that will be really fun ), Promiscuous... cool.

I'm going to D/L all of the suggestions here (except for the ones I already have.) Um, except for like, that Britney song (no offense, Norraa 627, I just can't stomach it, lol!!!) I'm most particularly interested in the song where they're running in the video, the poster said... That sounds pretty interesting.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #13  

I feel really old. The only one I recognized is: an old 60's song call "shout"

I like anything fast. Mostly late 70's, early 80's stuff. I like country music too.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
hmm...something tells me you would hate what I work out to...
Oh no, not Britney!!!!!!!

Nah, I'm just kidding. What do you like? I might surprise you. I do have a pretty definitive "musical taste" but also have a lot of contrasting songs on my playlist.

Like for example, I'm not a country fan. But- I admit- I've got Carrie Underwood's "last name" and "before he cheats." And I don't like Britneypop but I do like Christinapop.. and just stuff like that.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I guess I'm the only one that has "save a horse, ride a cowboy" by Big 'n' Rich on my iPod, huh?!

lol
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote