Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #1  

Default Setting realistic goals. (some advice Please)

I just started a diet, not one of those phony south beach or fad diets just good ole fashioned exercise and healthy eating (along with a massive cal. cut back)

Here's the history I started this diet a scant 3 days ago I've already lost 4-5 pounds. I'm disabled so I can't do the normal amount of exercise but I'm working my own system out.

So here's the goals My goals be able to walk a mile (at current can barely manage 1/4) and lose 30 pounds
I have until August 20th to do this.

Is this a realistic goal or am I setting my sights to lofty. Oh and if it helps I'm a 19 year old male (I know things work for women and don't work for men and vice versa)
John89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Please be sensitive to calling plans that other people are following "fad" diets. South Beach is actually a pretty healthy, good carb/good fat plan that shares a lot in common with most whole foods and Mediterranean plans, which have been extensively studied for health effects. I know this wasn't the main point of our post, but wanted to bring this up.

Second, your weight loss goal is a bit lofty, according to statistics, but depending on your starting weight, might be possible. Generally, a good rule of thumb is to try for 1/2 - 2 lbs a week, for someone moderately overweight. If you're morbidly obese, you can lose faster. If you're smaller, it'll be slower.

Without knowing your medical situation, I don't know if your fitness goal is too lofty. You may want to check it out with a doctor or physical therapist, who knows your physical limitations and strengths better.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Eating healthy will improve your health, regardless of your physical abilities.
If you do what you can, with the walking, and keep adding more and more, a little at a time, you will improve. Just don't do too much and tire yourself out.
I recommend you add a little weightlifting if you can. I used to 'weightlift' 1 liter pop bottles, until I got my free weights. If you increase your muscle mass, you will lose the fat faster, but it will not show up as quickly as weight loss, as you will be adding muscle. Your Doctor or Physical therapist should be giving you some guidance. Good Luck!!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #4  

Ok I apologize for the fad diet comment I tend to be skeptical of diets I have to pay for and thanks for the advice I think my brother has some freeweights in the basement
John89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

30 pounds in less than 2 months is pretty ambitious. If you follow a sensible eating plan and exercise, you will lose, but I know of no way that you can predict how much you will lose in a given time.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #6  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

You can probably do it considering your age and the fact that you're a man. Do you have a manual wheelchair? Push yourself around in that if you do, or more if you already do that anyway.

There are some fun sitting exercise DvD's you can try even though you'll probably think they're too corny (I have an almost 19 yr old son and HE would *LOL*). Check Collage Video and search Chair Dancing.

How about swimming or water walking? I don't do well walking on land for very far and definately not very fast, but water walking and aerobics I can do.

It was nice of you to apologize about the diet comment too. Best Wishes!
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #7  

I find that when you put a time limit or restriction on a diet you're setting yourself up for failure. If you're goal is to lose 30 pounds in two months and you "only" use 20 pounds, will you be disappointed or will your rejoice that you're 20 pounds lighter? Do the work but remove the time restriction--your motivation will thank you for it!
gmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I think the bones of the diet are reasonable. I would drop the time limit however. Setting a time limit on weight loss is not generally a good idea because our bodies are not machines. You simply cannot calculate calories in vs. calories out and say in X number of days I *will* lose Y number of pounds.

There are too many other things that influence your weight - everything from the amount of salt you eat, to the time of month (even guys go through hormonal fluctuations, although not on the scale that women do), to the temperature and humidity outside.

Also you said a "massive" calorie cutback. What doe that mean to you? If by "massive" you mean dropping below 1200 calories, then I'd say that was a bad idea. In fact at 19, I'd say dropping below 1800 might be a bad idea, even if you don't have the ability to get a lot of vigorous exercise.

Can you give us more details???

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote