Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #1  

Default I dont have access to any weight training machinery...

I started lifting gallons of milk for arms and doing push ups. I was wondering what could I do for my chest to get rid of my (I can't think of a better way to put this) "man boobs".
John89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure about the chest area, but you could add chair dips to your repetoire. I do them on our coffee table.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

"Butterfly" or "flye" with the milk jugs. You can do this either sitting up with arms out to the side or by laying on your back on a bench of some kind.

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase...xercises&ID=40

Shows an example of it done sittin up on a machine.

This link shows some other alternatives.

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase...oralis%20Major

And...good on you! I think it's awesome you are finding ways to get around not having access to weight training machinery. Keep it up!

Last edited by snapless; 07-03-2008 at 10:33 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Are you doing anything else? Spot training is a myth & the only way for you to truly get rid of your "man boobs" is to reduce your body fat level on a whole. Doing the weight training is FABULOUS but it needs to be coupled with some cardio & diet so you see great results!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - "Man boobs" are fat deposits. You lose fat by burning more calories than you take in.

Doing chest flies with the gallons of milk will improve your muscle tone under the fat, but the fat can only be reduced with overall fat loss...there's no way to "spot reduce" that one area.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I hope that those jugs are filled with skim milk-hee hee

Pushups are one of the best exercises for the upper body. Keep at it !

Building muscle will help increase your metabolism and help burn that fat away
But you've gotta watch your diet, too.

I recently heard of man boobs referred to as moobs

Last edited by ddc; 07-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

how about old fashioned push up's? you can do them anywhere and they don't require any special equipment. I bought my exercise equipment at a grarage sale. You can find things really cheap there. People buy them and don't use them so you can find anything. But I KNOW you will use them, right?
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #8  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Check out this guy's site. Lots of ideas for getting a workout at home with bodyweight exercises or very little equipment, and good explanation/video demo of how to do the exercises. Scroll to the bottom of this page, click on the "no time chest workout". You don't have much weight with the milk jugs, but this workout will still kick your butt if you don't skimp on the pushups.
http://fitness.scoobysworkshop.com/chest.htm

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that it's just fat, so diet will be number one for getting rid of that, but if you want a good home workout, to build muscle and burn those calories, there are many options:
1) Walk, bike, try the Couch to 5K program if you want to learn to jog/run.
2) Bodyweight exercises: air squats (bodyweight squats), deadlift or clean and press with anything that seems right (a chunk of wood, a toolbox with weight inside, a tire, anything you can control and not get hurt picking up and/or raising overhead), push-ups, pull-ups or chins (if you can't do bodyweight ones, try setting a pipe or bar lower down, so you can squat down and only lift part of your bodyweight/assist with the lower body), bench dips on the front of a couch or chair, again using the legs as little as possible to assist), rows with your milk jugs or anything else you can grab with one or both hands that's a good weight, etc. Look up the weight lifting moves, and look around for alternatives to barbells and dumbbells.
3) Check out the garage/shed. A pickaxe or sledgehammer is a great upper body workout. Another good garage workout tool: post-hole digger (kills the shoulders, chest, abs). For these, you just have to sacrifice a small spot in the yard where you can stab the ground without hitting utility lines/pipes. Double points for you if you need to put in a tree or garden, just do your workout there, lol.
3) A tire: you can attach a rope and pull it toward you for a pulling motion, sit on the ground and pull it toward you in a rowing motion - two ropes or a Y setup works best for that one (then you have to scoot back to do it again), drag it behind you for a leg workout, flip it (requires a bigger tire), jump on it (also needs a big truck tire...you can find these free if you keep your eyes open or call some tire places for junk tires), pick it up, throw it, whatever.
4) Pickle buckets (5 gallon buckets, check restaurants for freebies they might be tossing out) can be filled with dirt, water, sand or rocks, whatever. Carry them, lift them, curl them, do bent-over rows, etc.
5) Workout tapes - if you have the means to play them and a little floor space, you can check these out from the library for free, or find them on the cheap at your local movie rental place (often, if you find one you like in the rental section, they will sell it to you if it's not a good renter, so don't be afraid to ask). I'm actually going to order a yoga workout for myself, to improve my flexibility, which I figure can help my other workout/fitness goals, plus I hear it's a killer workout, which can't hurt for the old calorie burn, right?

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas. Oh, also check out the Crossfit website. The forums there has info on how to make a weighted "medicine ball" using an old basketball...I think you just cut a small slit, fill it with sand, duct tape it, then you can use that for throwing, cleans, presses, kettlebell type swings, or ??
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #9  

Wow thanks for all the wonderful replies. Yes I am dieting and eating right. I also know "man boobs" are fat I was just curious if there were any exercises I could do to reduce them faster.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #10  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Unfortunately not, but I think that any kind of resistance training you can do at home, any kind of exercise really, is going to help pick everything up and improve your posture, etc. That does make a person look better, even before all the fat comes off. Plus, you just keep getting in better shape, so you can do even more with your workouts in a month than you can now, and it just gets better and better. Best of luck to you with your weight loss goals, John, and welcome to 3FC! Hope you'll keep posting here, and let us know what you come up with for home workouts.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #11  

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I've been there myself John. I used to have quite a set of Moobs. They will go in time. From my personal experience, they were not a stubborn fat area and went down fairly quickly, so you probably will get rid of them faster than you think.

What is restricting you access to weight training equipment. Is it affordability, space, can't get to a gym? Recommendations would vary depending on the reason. For instance, purchasing a pullup bar and a set of jumpstretch bands would be fairly space convenient and not overly expensive and would allow for a whole host of resistance and metabolic accleration type training routines.

In the meantime to lose that set of jugs, work on expanding your set of jugs. Milk jugs that is. Make some heavier ones by filling them up with sand, stones, etc. Perhaps make some homemade sandbags.

Are you squatting and lunging? How about some kettlebell swings with your milk jug as the kettlebell. Great exercise for both lower body development and for getting the heart rate up there.

How about turkish get-ups with your milk jug?
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Ugh - I hate turkish get-ups. That must mean they're terrific!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard View Post
Ugh - I hate turkish get-ups. That must mean they're terrific!
They can be torture...but they are torture that uses just about every muscle in the body especially every stabilizing muscle in the body...the very best kind of torture
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: (Preg 205)/163/150/140

Height: 5' 6"

Here's a site that teaches workouts based on milk jugs....

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/derek22.htm
get fit in ky is offline   Reply With Quote