Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default "Golden Girls" - July 2008

"Golden Girls"

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?

Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Yesterday I should have gone to the store for salad greens . . . but I didn't . . . so now, I'm completely out of salad greens and, since today is the official Canada Day holiday, nothing is open. Oh well, I imagine I will survive.

It's turning into another hot and sticky day for us, but at least there is some sunshine. May venture out to see some fireworks this evening if the weather is decent, but nothing else on my agenda.

Woke up this morning and decided to change my own rule about using the previous month's average weight for my ticker. Since I weighed in at 214.5 again this morning, I really do not want to look at that 219 all month. It's depressing, so after I finish up my rounds at 3FC, I'm going to change it.

Anyway, gang, hope everybody has a great day . . . I will see you later.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Linda,

Happy Canada Day Holiday!

Check back later,

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi all

Been terribly AWOL for several days now so am waaayyy behind in all the news

Belated for you Lynn I don't think there is anything I could say that would make things any easier so here's one more instead.

Gosh Glynne I'm so sorry to hear about the lost kitty. How far did they move? If it's not too far maybe you could check in their old neighborhood. Sometimes kitties decide they want to go "home".

Scallop diving Karen3? Do you really dive for your own scallops? Not sure if I could do it - tried snorkeling when we were in Hawaii a couple of years ago but my hind end was a little too *ahem* bouyant, and I couldn't get it to stay under. Every time I tried to dive a little it would pop back to the surface pretty much on it's own. Must have been quite entertaining for the folks still on the boat

I had THE most lovely weekend - took MIL back to California (no, getting her back home was NOT the reason it was so lovely. Well, maybe a little ) She lives with SIL#1 in Laguna Niguel which is on the coast less than 2 miles from the ocean. In fact, in Orange County, they have all kinds of walking/bike paths through the hills. One goes right past their house and you can walk all the way to the beach - so we did I swam, I hiked, and I even went bowling! Haven't done that in at least 20 years - and I bowled like it had been 20 years too. I have a huge bruise on the side of my thigh where I whacked myself with the ball - talk about Fat Smash! But it was such fun DH and I may think about taking it up as a hobby. Of course DH was his usual, annoyingly athletic self and bowled something like 150 with such great form that someone invited him to join a league! Bit far to travel once a week though

Ate nothing but good stuff while away (and in moderation too ) but got home to an empty fridge (I never shop before going out of town even just for a day or two - I'm convinced that the food feels abandoned and spoils 10 times faster when no one is home ) so had to improvise a little on food for the day at work. Lucky for me there is a Super Wal-Mart that is open 24 hours right on my way in. Finally going to try out Laughing Cow cheese.

All that activity must have kicked something into gear because the scale seems to have budged a bit I'm sure looking forward to getting completely back into my regular exercise routine now that I have the house (and my time) to myself again. My Weimaraner (who truly is the Paris Hilton of doggies) is happy to be back to normal too - she considers the guest room to be her room and, because MIL was worried about dog hair, Blu didn't get to go in there the whole time MIL was here. She spent the entire time flopping down in various places around the house groaning, rolling her eyes, and sighing heavily - the dog not MIL

Better go do something constructive. Happy Canada Day to our friends up north!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

Nothing can sigh as effectively as a dog.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all...Sigh, am practicing and only thing that got me was a wet kiss from Dash. The carrying the umbrella system is still working. Bet it works until I loss the damn thing. I think unbrellas actually have wee feet and run away when you set them down. Somewhere out there is a whole herd of brellas!

Happy Canada Day!

Hopefully I can get shopping Thursday for a new scale. Three things I don't want are memory(it's still my secret),body fat%, and one who talks to me. Lord I can't stand a machine smarter than me. Gonna hid it in my closet away from everyone. Think between Dash and Dh last one got totally off balance. Dash loves to poke things that jiggle...had the scale rocking for hours. Dh thought it was hysterical......Did too, until it showed 47lb weight gain.....That's when I threatened to shoot it. Have attempted to adjust but left it to be jiggled. Oh well! Newest dog toy.

I know that when DS and family are here I will be ducking in here for help and hugs. Even phone calls from them are hard. Have to take notes, he goes on for an hour without getting to a point. DGD2 has a voice that blows the batteries out of my earing aides. DGD1 will be busy with BF. Funny how busy hasn't changed since I was young. hmmmmmmmm

Had dinner, but waited until now for my vegie soup....so off to feed my innerman.....hugs, Karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/173/135

Height: 5'6''

'Evening Chickies

Happy Canada Day ! Hope it was a great one. I've always felt a deep fondness for Canada as our daughters were born there, plus we loved living on Prince Edward Island years ago.

Hope that July is a relaxing month for all, filled with fun times with family and friends.

'Night
Eileen
Cute n Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #8  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Oh, yes, summer has definitely arrived after 3 weeks of rain and overcast skies. A perfect summer day lays ahead of me today.

I have just discovered a new taste delight-Honey Dates. I've only been used to the regular cooking or eating dates but Monday I was shopping at the Superstore and there was a shelf of discounted containers of Honey Dates. Never having heard or tasted them before I thought this would be a good opportunity to try them out at a cheaper price. What a treat they are. Date flavor of course but the texture is so creamy and smooth. They're delightful to eat. Half an ounce is around 47 calories but I don't know how many carbs exactly, although the packaging says 80.6% carbohydrates of which it is mostly sugar of course. But half an ounce gives me 4 small dates which I chopped up and put on my cereal. Are they ever good! (They are smaller than the regular cooking dates.) They make a great substitute for candy in small amounts and of course dates are nutritionally superior to candy.

Just letting my breakfast settle and then I'll exercise before the heat of the day sets in.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #9  

Good Morning, No kids here! I actually have a day to myself! I know I will be missing them in about an hour but right now I am blissfully having my coffee ALONE!! Being alone probably means no one to push me to exercise today either. We spent the evening at the local park, just walking around and enjoying all the displays. We went with one of McKenzie's little friends, so she had lots of fun. We didn't stay in the park to watch the fireworks, came home and watched them from the front yard with the rest of the neighbors.

Glenn, So sorry about the kitty. I can just see that little face at the window looking for it. I hope he finds his way home soon.

YoYo, Sounds like you have been a very good girl. Lots of activity and eating well!! That scale should cooperate now!

Karen, Enjoy your time with your family.

Hi Eileene

Isabella, I had just read somewhere about all the health benefits of dates and was thinking about trying them. With your good review i'll have to go looking for some.

Everyone, make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Another unusually hot and humid day for us, but at least the sun is shining.

I dates but they are (like all dried fruits) a pretty concentrated source of carbs and calories -- only the water goes away during the drying process unfortunately. At least it is natural fructose which is easier on the body than sucrose.

Nothing exciting for me today, actually wish I did not have to go out in the heat -- thought I was going to expire into a puddle of perspiration just hauling out the garbage at 8 am -- but I really must get to the grocery store. Another day without salad greens cannot be tolerated.

Anyway, gang, have a great day and I will see you all later . . .
Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #11  

Good Morning Everyone,

I've been yo-yo'ing so badly over the past 2 months that I have decided to try something new. I keep my food diaries in Diet Power so I have a record of everything I ate over the past 2 years. I'm going back to time periods where I lost more quickly and eat what I ate during those time periods. I'll try this for the month of July and see what happens.

I think that over time, I kind of lost my focus & slipped into sloppiness about my eating habits. I'm going to try to return to the meals I was eating when I was more "in the zone."

Lynn
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 8"

Morning all

Still can't quite get myself to be a fan of dates - raisins and dried apricots on the other hand

Good idea Lynn - going back through all those menus to see what was working best and getting refocused. I still think you've been doing an amazing job!

Know what you mean about the heat Linda. Driving to work this morning the thermometer in my car said it was already 85 at 6 a.m., radio says we are headed for about 110 today But, like they always say, at least it's a dry heat

Scale wasn't up this morning but I'm having one of those days where I just feel kind of "thick". Not sure if it has anything to do with the couple of Triscuits I had yesterday or not but those, and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, are the only thing I've done differently at all so I'm giving away the rest of the box. (They have maltodextrin in them anyway - icky, poopie). Today I'm trying out a couple of Kashi TLC 7 grain crackers instead. I've long had a sneaking suspicion that I have to keep the grains in general to a minimum (even whole, unsweetened ones) but I'm hoping these little Kashi's will let me get a "cracker fix" once in a while

Wonderful day to all
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi all, I've been so busy this summer. I'm having trouble posting. I've started again. Working hard on my diet. I'm going to keep track of calories. It seems to be working so well for many of you. I just need to stay focused. I've enjoyed your funny posts. have a great day. Lori
flowingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Darn that umbrella thing is still working. I toted the darn thing around again today. The Thunder Gods boomed and lightening crashed and not a drop of rain fell on me. It got so dark that had to turn head lights on! BUT I'm still dry. Weather channel said we had a 60% chance of rain today....

Funny, but have been tweeking around with my diet past 2 months and had decided to start back at level one this coming week. Lynn, I'll watch your bounces. Now I know I have to get that new scale tomorrow. Do bounces count as exercise?

OMG...have this sudden urge to go get a gallon of ice cream, hunk of cake and quart of OJ.....everything you can't even taste on level one. Do we ever really grow up?

Still playing good bridge. Am not bragging but it is so nice when brain is on track. When you play with regular partners the bidding becomes almost a dance. And the play of a hand is like watching numbers in colors move....Yeah, I know I can get wild and wordy...sorry. But I love the game and the people who play. It is a Grand Game.

Take care of your self, eat healthy and hugs, Karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #15  

About eating what I ate when I was losing -

No wonder I was losing and am not now. I was eating a LOT fewer calories back then.

Today I ate same menu as I ate last Oct. I was much more hungry than usual.

Lynn