General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #1  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Default my kitty passed away =(

Hi all. So when I was a little girl, I always wanted a "baby kitten", and constantly asked my parents if I could get one. Just before my 7th birthday, a neighbor's cat had kittens, so for an early birthday present, my parents let me take home a plump, 8 week old, black and white fuzzball I named Toby on the walk home. I remember zipping him into my sweater to keep him warm and secure. Toby has been my buddy as long as I have had memories, so I don't really know life without him. When I got to college, he stayed at my parents house when I moved away to the dorms, and when I got an apartment, I tried to move him in. He was so scared, hiding under the furniture, no yard, so I brought him back home to my parents house, his "retirement" home. My parents were more than happy to keep caring for Toby - he was everyone's buddy. And he loved being there, sitting next to my dad on the couch, waiting for head scratches from my mom, he had a really great life there. When I moved further away to go to lawschool, I would only see him 2-3 times a year, and spent as much time as I could with him. I'm now 25, and Toby was 18!

2 months ago, we had a little scare. He wasn't eating, and was getting skinny, and my parents brought him to the vet, thinking it might be his time. The vet found that he was okay, he just had a tooth infection, so he got on antibiotics, pain killer, and soft cat food. I visited home a week after that, and spent so much time with him, took pictures and video, and hugged him a whole, whole lot.

This morning, my mom called me and told me that when my parents came home last night, a dog or coyote must have gotten into the garage, because the dog's food and milkbones were spilled all over (but my dog's food bowl was full). They looked around and couldn't find Toby anywhere, and when my dad went in the back yard, he found Toby, lifeless. Toby wasn't "hurt" or anything, so they think the dog that broke in must have just given chase to Toby, and his body just could not take it. I sort of feel like I'm a zombie right now. I know he was 18, extrememly old for a cat. He had arthritis, and didn't see super well, but I guess I wanted his death to be a little more natural than that. My mom just retired, and was looking forward to at least having the summer with Toby. I'm just so sad that he was the sweetest cat, very friendly to everyone, and he had to die scared and alone. I guess I'm just looking for some empathy. I know he was a pet, but he was my very best buddy, and I love him with all my heart. Love you, Toby.

Love to all pet-lovers out there,

Audrey
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

At least you know you gave him the best life a kitty could ask for with all the love he could want.

yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Hey Audrey

I know the feeling. I had a cat named Tiger, who passed away at the age of 15 last year. I remember the day he was born because his mother was our cat as well. It was only him, the biggest kitten we ever saw (not fat, big). He grew up with us and was a very loving male that loved us, played with us, had only one female mate and gave us 2 kittens to keep the legacy. He was great with the kittens as a dad and we really loved him. When he got sick and the doctor told us he would not survive we were heartbroken. We cried about it and we still have his photos in an album in the house. His offspring are very clever but they will never replace him.

You have lots of hugs from me and I know he will live on in your heart forever.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

<is sitting here in tears> I am so so so so sorry =( My kitty babies and my puppy baby are part of my family and when they go I KNOW it will be devestating. Even though my one kitty baby, Joey, is 16 going on 17...it's always in the back of my mind...

<big hugs from Minnesota>

Don't dwell on his death but remember his life!!
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #5  
No description available.

I'm sorry, Audrey. Blessings to you and Toby.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #6  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I'm so sorry about your loss, Audrey. I know how you feel, I had the sweetest cat named Hannah who passed last year. She was such a nice kitty, even people who didn't like cats liked her.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #7  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

You guys are so, so wonderful. I always come to 3FC for diet and exercise support, but we all have have other events in our lives, and I knew you kind people would be so understanding.

Iianae: I will certainly be celebrating his life, and not dwelling on his death. Thank you so much for saying that. I need to focus on the good times. He was such a sweetie, with the biggest meow! =)
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Audrey.

It's always so sad when we lose an animal companion. It sounds like his life was full of love.

Take care of yourself.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

I'm so sorry... I have tears in my eyes right now after reading your post. I know just how much it can hurt to lose a beloved pet.

It doesn't help that people sometimes expect you to take it lightly.

I hope with time you'll be able to take consolation in the great life he had.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #10  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I'm very sorry for your loss Audrey. It's always hard to lose a friend. But know that being a good kitty "mom" was the best that Toby could ask for
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #11  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

I'm so sorry to hear that. My cat died the week of my b-day in March. Totally unexpected---I know that deep pain of losing an innocent little animal, and the void it leaves. But as they say about time.......

Hope you feel better soon!
Rocker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #12  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I'm so sorry... I can really relate.
As sad as it was to read Toby's story, I'm happy you were able to share it with us.... I hope the pain you are feeling will gradually be replaced with fond memories, some laughs and eventually some peace of heart...Heaven is a little brighter

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 07-01-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

So sorry for your loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Aw Audrey. I'm so sorry! I've lost kitties before and it's not easy -they're your FAMILY as much as any other person in your family.

Hugs to you.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

:hugs: I'm so so so so sorry! It's so hard to say goodbye to a pet that has been with you for what feels like forever.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote