South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default What is an attainable goal for me? An attainable, realistic goal?

Sorry, yet another thread from me! But it's only because I really do want to do this thing right. Hope everyone will bear with me, lol.

Okay, I know there are a lot of people (not on this forum, but just people in general) who are like, "I wanna lose 20 lbs in like a month!" Why do I know this? Because I used to be that person! But over the past year or so I have realized that is something that's probably not attainable nor healthy. If I did attain it, it'd be through serious crash dieting which would be horribly unhealthy and eat up any muscle that I may have... and then it would all come back on times three.

So... what's a good range for me? I know that no one can exactly predict it, but was just wondering whereabout is a good range for me. Say by Thanksgiving... what would be attainable or maybe attainable? Thanksgiving is... let's see... there's July, August, Sept, Oct... then November (I'm counting that month, because Thanksgiving is at the end of it.)

So that's about 5 months. If I did everything right this time (or as close as possible), and exercised as much as possible, what is a healthy goal for me?

Is 30-40 lbs a healthy, realistic goal? Or no? Or a higher number? What do you guys think?

I heard metabolism is higher when you're in your teens and early 20's, I am 22, just for some extra info that might help you guys in your reply. But I am lazy and probably won't exercise everyday although I would like to.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #2  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Hi Fat Melanie, from what I have read a realistic goal would be 1-2 lbs a week for long term weight loss.....the slower it comes off the more the odds are that it will be easier to keep off in the long run. We didn't gain it overnight my problem in the past was expecting it to come off quickly .....I now realize I need take it slow and make sure I am eating enough so I don't go into my binge mode etc......hope that answers your question...
Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I don't believe in "goal by" dates. I still can't help but do so occasionally (such as boy, I would love to lose 50 lbs by Christmas).

Even when the goal is reasonable, they can backfire, for many people. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with them for people who you can keep their goal in perspective (I can't). For me, if I set a goal-by date, if I fall behind "schedule" I start to want to make up time, which tempts me to consider irresponsible methods of dieting. And likewise, if my goal was 50 lbs by Christmas, if I lose 40 or maybe even 48, I'll at least be partially disappointed.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #4  
Healthy mommy

Hi Greeneyes, I also have a 'binge mode' I tend to go into. It's a really hard habit to break. We sure didn't gain it overnight, I remember being a thin 18, and then slowly, that year, I started gaining weight (and didn't even realize it!) and then at 19, people started making comments about how I gained weight and this one rude woman that always came into the store I worked at, said something about "you really have gained some weight haven't you? Look how thick your legs look from behind." I was like no she didn't! Lol. But, she was right.

Hi Kaplods, you also make a really good point. Because everytime I have set goals for myself, it's always backfired! I would lose to lose 50 lbs for Xmas though as well, I'm with ya! And I don't know that I could keep my goal in perspective either. But I do so badly want to be able to lose a certain amount by a certain time... it's just in me, no matter how much I try to change the way I think. I don't want to meet my exact goal by then, but basically, I just wanna have lost enough so I look pretty good at Thanksgiving so my family is like, "well look at you!!!!" My skinny sister's always getting props just for being thin, and it's so not right. Sigh. I dunno. I wish I wasn't so goal centered, because I might be setting myself up for dissapointment.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I avoid 'goal by' dates myself. A good, reasonable weight loss is as said before is 1 to 2 pounds per week (harder to do as you get closer to your goal though). I'm not quite sure which week US thanksgiving is, but let's say that's 20 weeks away. So 20 to 40 pounds would be a reasonable goal.

Weight loss is probably 90% diet, so keep your diet on track. Hard exercise can make you hungrier (ie. more likely to cheat). I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but be aware that it will affect your hunger. As well, if you work out and then do nothing for the rest of the day, well, that's not a good thing either. Moving around more in the long run is likely more helpful.

So make an eating plan (just saw I'm in the South Beach section) and follow it. Commit to moving around a little more. Work in more exercise than you might normally do. And if you were only 20 pounds lighter by Thanksgiving would that really be a bad thing?

Last edited by RealCdn; 07-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #6  
Healthy mommy

Just wanted to add though, just to be clear, I want to lose weight not just for vanity purposes, and not just to be admired like my thin sibling, but because I've got a 5 month old and I want to be a healthy and fit mom. I don't want to end up having heart problems, hypertension, high cholestrol, and stuff like that. I want to be the one who's able to chase him around the playground without keeling over of a heart attack. But I'll be honest, vanity and looking good is part of it.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #7  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Hi again Fat Melanie....yes I am a huge binger and it usually sabatoges my efforts (in the past ...I really want to try to break that habit).....I also was about 125lb-132lbs until I was 19 when my dad got sick with cancer and ended up passing away....from there is was all down hill until I find myself here at 39 years old and 227.5 lbs.......so now it is time for change .....
Old 07-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #8  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
I avoid 'goal by' dates myself. A good, reasonable weight loss is as said before is 1 to 2 pounds per week (harder to do as you get closer to your goal though). I'm not quite sure which week US thanksgiving is, but let's say that's 20 weeks away. So 20 to 40 pounds would be a reasonable goal.

Weight loss is probably 90% diet, so keep your diet on track. Hard exercise can make you hungrier (ie. more likely to cheat). I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but be aware that it will affect your hunger. As well, if you work out and then do nothing for the rest of the day, well, that's not a good thing either. Moving around more in the long run is likely more helpful.

So make an eating plan (just saw I'm in the South Beach section) and follow it. Commit to moving around a little more. Work in more exercise than you might normally do. And if you were only 20 pounds lighter by Thanksgiving would that really be a bad thing?
Nope, it would be a really good thing, because besides my post pregnancy lost (I lost over 40 lbs then), I have never lost 20 lbs before. At least not 20 lbs of fat. I would actually be really, really happy and satisfied with that. Thanks for putting it into perspective. And I appreciate your advice.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #9  
Healthy mommy

Hi Greeneyes, I am really sorry about what happened to your dad. That sort of thing could definitely bring out the emotional binge eater in anyone. I agree, time for a change for me as well, and I wish you luck in changing your binge eating habits. I hope we can both do it. I know how hard it is! We deserve better, we have to stop letting food control us (it sounds so easy to say, but it's sooo hard to do.) From everything I've read, the SBD is a really great diet for people who love to eat. Here's to us and our weight loss journies.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

nope I don't believe in time centered goals.

this is a permanent change and therefore however long it takes is however long it takes.

i'm losing an average over the last 26 months of 2.7 pounds a month. or .6 pounds a week. I"m thrilled. this means stuff like last month i lost .6 pounds or less than a pound in the entire month but this month i lost nearly 5.

i've had 87 out of 92 clean eating days and i've been swimming and going to aqua areobics a couple of times a week.

weight loss is neither linear, comparable or predictable.

what happens if you set a goal of 20 pounds and only lose 15 or if you set a goal of 20 pounds and lose it in 3 months will you then go off because you met your goal?

your goal needs to be eating better one day at a time for the rest of your life.

nothing more nothing less.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #11  
Healthy mommy

Wow, I wish I could say I've had 87 out of 92 clean eating days; that is a job well done! Hope awhile from now, I'm able to say the same. That would be really awesome.

I know you are right that my goal needs to be eating better one day at a time. If I focus on one day at a time, maybe without setting any particular goals, other than eating better and becoming more healthy, then maybe I'll see a change that will make me happy a few months from now. You put it into perspective. From now on, I'm going to try my best to think of it like that, in the way you put it. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

30-40 lbs. in 5 months is....attainable, but you're going to have to work your butt off to get it. You can count on an hour or more of (hardcore cardio) exercise 6 days a week and solid, clean eating with no slips. It is possible to get through a month or more without cheating and it all centers around planning and willpower.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #13  
Healthy mommy

I will scratch that then, I don't have the time or energy for 6 days of hardcore cardio. I am lazy! I admit. I do have time for 30 minutes a day though. Exercise is not my strong point at all. I have decided though, to not set a goal, I will only setting myself up for failure. I'm just gonna not think in numbers, and just do like Ladybugnessa said, take it one day at a time. So my only goal will be to change my eating habits and hope to see results from that.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think that sometimes you can't tell if ANY goal is reasonable until you get started. You have to balance how much you can reasonably (and comfortably) change against how fast the weight can come off given the degree of change.

For example, if your goal is 1.5 lb a week (certainly seems reasonable at first glance), but on your food and exercise plan, you feel absolutely starved and exhausted, then you have to decide which is the better long-term strategy for you: suffering through or reducing your weekly goal (and therefore extending your goal by date).

I think it's best, in many ways to use the reverse approach. Push your diet (in a healthy direction) as far as you comfortably can, and do the same with exercise. Just until it's a bit challenging, but still the comfort level still is one that you really believe "I could do this forever." Not "eventually, I might be able to get used to this, but right now this is absolutely miserable torture."

Ok, now watch the scale. If you don't see a loss you can live with, then you have to push the food restriction and exercise a bit more. If the weight loss is too slow, or the plan too difficult; you're going to be frustrated, and frustration is the first step toward quitting. Make sure you have the balance right for you (tweak it, until it is a plan you can do "forever").

Last edited by kaplods; 07-01-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #15  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I struggled with eating disorders most of my life - bulimia for about 15 years and binge eating disorder most of the rest of the time. Doing a really clean Phase 1 and slow, very careful transition to Phase 2 has made all the difference for me. I'm not saying it will work for everyone but I can't believe the difference it has made for me. I never thought it would get so easy to manage this. That's not to say I don't have slip ups cuz I do. I've also found that any amount of high fructose corn syrup will send me over the edge (took the amount in 1 margarita to discover that).

As far as goals go I'll have to give a non-answer. My original goal was 170 because that's the lowest weight I ever maintained as an adult. You can see by my ticker that my body had other ideas. If you've been overweight a long time you may not even know what weight your body wants to be. My suggestion is just eat as clean and healthy as you can and get as much exercise as you can and the rest will take care of itself.
Closed Thread