Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default fat belly

Today I met a man who thought I was pregnant! Boy that hurts. I introduced myself for work and he says "Oh it looks like you have a little one on the way" I said no and his wife says " oh he says that to everyone, he thinks everyone is pregnant" That obvious lie didnt make me feel any better. This man was oriented and had normal vision. Nothing impaired. Oh well more insentive to keep working on it but it still made me feel bad.
Kelly
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

Oi, people never cease to amaze me. You've had great success thus far, don't let ignorant peoples comments take that away from you Keep up the great work, and know that this is something that has happened to a number of us.

Rach
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I think I would break a bottle over my boyfriend's head if he ever said such a thing! I bet that man received the tongue lashing of his life from his wife on the way home. She is probably still laying into him. If you are quiet, you can probably hear them now!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/214/140

Height: 5'7"

Well... If I wasn't going to look any different at 140 than I do right now at 210 -- belly fat and all -- then I wouldn't be trying to lose weight! Neither would you. Insensitive or not, he's pointing out something we already know... We don't look as good as we want to look at our current weights.

I would use that comment to motivate you, not hurt you. When you hit your goal, that belly is going to be minimized... Speaking one belly to another! ... And I'm sure the wife did have a few choice words for him, too.

I, like the others, think your 50 pounds are great. I hope you've noticed a big difference. I know it's taken a lot of work... but it's a marathon....
Kimmygoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Sorry that happened. Sometimes folks just don't use the good sense they are born with. His intention was good - but, he is obviously clueless about such matters.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #6  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

Wow what a jerk. No one should ever comment on something like that unless they know for sure. That's happened to me once before though. I'm sorry that happened. Stay positive don't let that comment discourage you.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

grrr!! That happened to me by a lady I went on a job interview with and one of my husband's relatives started rubbing my belly once thinking we had another one on the way.
Sorry that it happened!
katenicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Although that comment can be embarrassing when it's wrong, I'm not sure why it's such an insult... Isn't pregnancy a good thing much of the time? Well, of course, it's because someone is saying we look pregnant--and I'm with Kimmiegoal on this one--it's pointing out what we already know, and that's why it hurts...

I've had it said to me when I weighed less than I do now, because I carry my fat on my abdomen. Oh well! I just said "Nope" and watched them squirm.

But can someone please tell me why men other than the father of the baby think they can touch a pregnant woman's belly without invitation??? That just strikes me as very inappropriate.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 06-29-2008 at 10:19 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

thanks everyone!! Your responses made me feel better. At first its like a slap in the face but I will definitly use this as motivation
Kelly
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Ugh, that has happened to me too. I hate it. Even now I really worry sometimes that my neighbors look and think, "gee she already HAS five kids, why is she preg again?" cause I always have had a lot of fat in the belly area.

I agree, just use it to motivate. "Baby belly begone!!"
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sometimes you wanna say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed you were polite. I have to stop assuming these things."
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmygoal View Post
Well... If I wasn't going to look any different at 140 than I do right now at 210 -- belly fat and all -- then I wouldn't be trying to lose weight! Neither would you.
That's not true for me and a lot of others. Increased health and comfort is 90% or more of the reasons I am on this journey. If I fit really comfortably in this world at this size, and didn't think that I was doing a good thing for my body by reducing my weight, I'd be happy at about 200 pounds. So would my DH (be happy with me at this size).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #13  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Eh, people are stupid -- I carry most of my weight in my hip/butt/lower ab area and I *really* don't look like i'm pregnant, and the neighborhood barber once asked my fiance if I were expecting a baby.

My fiance doesn't go to that barbershop anymore...
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #14  

Men just have funny ideas about what woman's body shapes should be. When I was 19 years old , 120 lbs, and rather buff from free weights, I still had large breasts and a bit of a belly; a man at the gym where I worked was hitting on me and seriously asked me how many kids I had and said I looked great for a mom. To this day I remember that little twirp and to this day I have still never had a child although I am now twice the size I was then. My hope for you is that, you are truly able to 'consider the source' and let it go, so that you are not remembering that dingbat 20 years later. BTW, to me fifty pounds is an amazing accomplishment and your pride should trump his ignorance.
sheski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Sometimes you wanna say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed you were polite. I have to stop assuming these things."

Haha! I'm gonna have to make a note of that one!
fancy daisy is offline   Reply With Quote