South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Monday Cluckings

Coffee's ready!

How was everyone's weekend? Mine was full of family and fun, busy, but I can't complain. This should be a pretty good week, especially since it'll be a short week for most of us with Friday being a holiday. Tomorrow is Canada Day for our northern friends, does everyone get the day off for that, Ruth?

The girls have riding camp all week, so I'm taking advantage of that by taking my car in for it's yearly inspection and an oil change this morning. Actually, I don't even know what time Cindy wants me over there so I'm expecting a phone call. We're going to be busy all week getting things ready and packing for their big trip to Botswana. I normally travel with them, but this is a family trip with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all going together, so I won't be needed. I'm really looking forward to having two whole weeks off!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Cottage, enjoy your quiet day. Botswana...wow, what a trip that will be!!

I had a pretty boring weekend. It has been storming here and though we needed the rain, I'm tired of it.

Nothing exiting going on today that I know of. Have to go pick up a friend and have coffee while they get new tires put on their car...that's about all the "excitement" I know of but you never know what the day will bring. Getting ready to go start a pot of slow cooked red beans. yawn.

My husband started a new schedule of working 4-10's. So our eating schedule is all "off". The university started 4-10's the other day to save employees on gas $. I do love that he now has Thurs, Fri. and Sat. off.
Speaking of gas, I was appauled at how much prices are rising at the grocery store. I think we may all be eating a LOT more beans soon. Chicken is going to be through the roof soon. I picked up a pack of breasts yesterday (not even a BIG pack!) and it was $12. geez.

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-30-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Everyone has Canada Day off - it's our July 4th - and most people booked today too. The village is jumping and the camping park is full capacity. I sure wouldn't want to be in a tent in this weather but the majority of the campers have trailers.

I'm dragging a bit this morning but hope the coffee will perk me up. This is going to be an incredibly busy week with the holidays, Fair stuff to sort, sorting out wedding details, maybe some gardening, extra pet therapy and Disney going for tooth cleaning on Wednesday. They'll give her an anesthetic and Leslie is an incredibly gentle vet but Disney just seems so small and fragile to me. I've had her five weeks now and she sure has wormed her way into my heart.

Time to get dressed and start the day. I may put on my gardening duds and do an hour or so of weeding so I can at least find my tomato plants out there. I also need to track down a landscaper to seed or sod the areas around my barn where the lads did the grading - it's pure mud at the moment!

Happy no-Moaning Monday!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi there, Cat. What's a 4-10? I assume it's not like a two-four. Up here that means a case of 24 beer. Prices are rising up here too so we'll need the recipe for the slow-cooked red beans. Did the cranberry juice work?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #5  
-

Ruth, 4-10's is working 4 days a week for 10 hours a day.
Yep, cranberry pills worked. I also drank lemon balm tea all day long and took some old antibiotics I found in the medicine cabinet that I had from a spider bite. It lasted about 5 days and cleared right up.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm sure glad you're feeling better, Cat. Five days is a long time, though. And I know what you mean about the high grocery prices, I had to adjust my food budget, and my gas budget, sigh! Now I need someone to adjust my income!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning
It's a 3.5 day week here apparently. Rumor has it the boss has okayed an early close on Thursday. That will be nice.

Cottage - Wow, that's quite a vacation for the girls! Do you have any bib plans for your two weeks?

Ruth - I don't know how people get up in the morning without coffee Hope Disney's cleaning is quick and easy on you and her.

Cat - Glad to hear the cranberry and lemon balm worked. I'll have to pass the lemon balm info on to my DD. Lots of talk about the 4-10 configuration up here too.

Vermont is so rural that everyone drives a lot and it's painful. I'm already planning to schedule one work at home day every week in the fall to cut down on driving. Groceries are insane. Even the cat food I buy has gone up 25% (I suggested they make like the predators they are and find their own food but they just gave me that look)! Luckily fresh produce is plentiful and cheap this time of year. I've been adding a lot more dried beans to our diet too.

Have a good day!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #8  
-

Ok, red beans are on and here's the recipe. Red beans and rice are traditional in New Orleans on Mondays. That's when everyone used to do laundry and it was an all day long affair, so women would cook a pot of red beans on Monday, so they could be cooking slowly while they were outside tackling the washboard and clothes line.

Soak red beans in water overnight.
saute a large onion, a large bellpepper, a few stalks of celery in a little olive oil. You can either skip the meat althogether, or saute the vegs along with some turkey bacon, chicken sausage, lean pork chops etc.

dump the beans and vegs in crock pot (or cook on stove for a few hours) add a few cloves of chopped garlic, a couple of bay leaves, some thyme, some creole seasoning, a tiny bit of liquid smoke,(maybe a 1/4 of a cap..that's CAP, not CUP) a little whostershire and add just enough chicken stock (or if you HAVE to, water) to cover the beans, add some salt and pepper and a little cayenne or hot sauce if you want a bit of a kick.

check it every now and then to make sure the liquid hasn't all been absorbed and add more if you have to. When the beans are just about ready, take a few forkfulls and smash them against the side of the pot and stir back in to make the beans creamier.

To serve, take a cup and put rice in it (I use a pudding/ramekin type cup) and pack it in the cup, then invert on a plate or bowl then put beans around the rice (you don't have to do this, but it looks nice!).

Sprinkle some raw chopped green onions and parsley on top. Serve with hot sauce on the side. Some people also serve with jalepeno peppers or banana peppers on the side.

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-30-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good morning chickies!

Oh, what a gorgeous morning!! Even if the child STILL has a 102 temp (day 4! teacher said it lasts 4 days..), it still seems nice out. Probably b/c the scale was kind to me this morning .

The weekend was fairly boring (sick child), but when he's sick...he's soooo sweet! I don't want him sick, but you can't help but love him more!!

So, off to work with the child (thank goodness for a liberal boss), I might take him strawberry pickin' if they still have some. Then maybe a walk on the treadmill to finish the month right!! (I blew my goal out of the water...yeaHHHH!!!!!)

Oh....she posted that red beans recipe while I posted mine. I LOVE making the cuban black beans n rice recipe..YUM!

Last edited by TwynnB; 06-30-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning everyone!!!

Cottage- I know you will enjoy your two weeks off

Ruth- have a good day and Happy Canada Day, I am assuming it is tomorrow?

Cat- glad to hear that you are feeling better. I know what you mean about groceries, I went on Thursday and noticed that prices on almost all items had gone up about 25%, I was not a happy camper.

Cyndi- have a good day and I hope you get off early on Thursday.

As for me I am still trying to get back in the routine since coming back from vacation, I am still on LA time it seems and do not want to go to bed at a normal time. I thought gas prices were crazy here but in LA it is on average 50 cents more per gallon yikes. We had a wonderful time though
Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning TwynnB we were posting at the same time. Hope your son gets feeling better soon.

Cat- that bean recipe sounds delish as well as the black bean. I am going to have to try
Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

hi gang,

DH is still being a butthead
money is getting tight tight tight (we have medical bills)

the good news... they called for an interview for the Durham job.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #13  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

good mornin all:
doing good here. another hot day. have to go get milk today, the excitement of my day. joy joy. otherwise just laundry and some cleaning.

RUTH: happy cananda day, my sister lives in big river.
TWYNN: hope your son feels better, gd had it and it does last for awhile. they took her to the er when temp got 104, but, nothing can be done. it's a virus.
CAT: will try those beans. sometimes the old tales come with the best recipes.
Pearl: i bet the weather was nice. i was born & raised in the bay area, i sure miss the nice weather. i now live in the south and it's always hot & humid.

well for me off to shower and go get milk, like to get out before the 100's hit. than redo my itunes for my ipod. hoping one of the docs release me in 10days, so i can start a normal like again. was thinking of doing some tei bo to see if that pulls any where in the ab area.
ttyl, chipper
Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #14  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

good luck ladybug, my dad lives in raleigh
Old 06-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Good Monday morning, all! Quite a bit of clucking going on already!

Cottage: Wow! Botswana. Those girls are very fortunate to be seeing so much of the world so young - what a wonderful opportunity for fun and education! Hope everything goes well with the car. The EPA has been on our county for some time to require emissions inspections, so I'm expecting our inspection costs to go up quite a bit. (The pollution the EPA speaks of is not from our towns of 6,000, 2,500 and 500 people; it's all from the factories that are over the border in Mexico, but the EPA has to come down on someone for it.)

Cat: I'm glad some businesses are really doing something to combat the rising fuel costs. It would be easier if they just gave us all raises , but they're feeling the sting as well, I guess. Hope you and DH get your new schedule figured out soon. $12 a pack of chicken! Thank goodness we're not there yet! Thanks for the recipe - DH and I should try that.

Ruth: Once again, I can't believe how busy you are! Aren't you supposed to be retired? Hope that coffee perks you up - I'll join you in a cup! I'm sure Disney will be fine - I know how you feel, though, I get so worried when we have to take our dachshund in for just about anything.

Cyndi: Sorry you're feeling the grocery sting as well. We've been doing pretty well with the garden producing so well. I've switched to some cheaper cuts of meat, the likes of which we haven't seen since college, but we're still eating. (And our steer will be packed into the freezer by the end of the month - so no worries for beef!) Hope your 3.5 day work-week happens!

TwynnB: Congrats on hitting your exercise goal and on the friendliness from your scale! You're on a roll! Too bad about your son, I hope he feels better soon.

Pearl: Isn't getting back into the swing of things after vacation one of the roughest things to do? I still don't feel completely "in my groove" and we've been back for 2+ weeks! Hope it all comes together quickly.

Nessa: Good luck with the Durham job! Sorry about DH and the economy!

Chipper: I don't know if we've "met" yet, but if not, "Hello!" Hope you get back to your old self soon. Waiting on docs' clearance can be the worst. I think most of us here have been through the "Can I work out yet" thing and it stinks! I hope your trip to get milk is somewhat exciting!

Me: Sorry about being MIA this weekend. I'm leaving to see my grandparents on Wed. and DH's mom and her bf and his daughter will be visiting this week while I'm gone (don't get me started on what was said when DH informed her I'd be out of town. I've had this planned since April and she's bailed on us twice since then.) We spent the weekend cleaning and doing laundry, plus I worked a few hours yesterday. We had rain almost every day last week, so the back yard is still a mess and I won't even mention the floors! Oh well. This week is a short week at work for me (2 days) and then I get to see my grandparents and some other family that I haven't been able to really spend time with since before we moved here in '06. I also spent quite a bit of time blanching spinach to freeze - that was fun.

I'm back on P1. I definitely didn't commit to it when we returned from vacation, so I'm doing it right this time. I feel like it may be tempting fate visiting my Japanese grandma when I can't eat rice, but I know that she understands what I need to do to lose weight, so we'll see how it goes. I would have waited until next Monday, but why put off tomorrow what can be done today? The scale hasn't gone up, but it sure isn't going down either, so this is to get my butt back in gear.

Well, I feel like I wrote a book! I've got to hit the shower and get a lunch packed. Hope everyone to come has a great day!

~Kim

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 06-30-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Closed Thread