South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #1  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Default Surprised at hostility towards SB

Last night I posted on a "foodie" forum that I have participated in for many years looking for south beach friendly recipes.....some people recommended the cookbook and then others decided it was appropriate for a "lecture" on "fad" diets and how they lost X amout of weigh eating sensibly and taking control over what they put in their mouth etc.....it went on and on....I didn't post asking their opinion of the diet but they found it nessary to let me know how they feel......I tried to explain that I don't see the difference between this plan and what any doctor or nutrionist would recommend.....it is about lean meat/chicken/fish/seafood, lots of veggies, beans/legumes, fruit, whole grains etc.....and eating thorughout the day.....the first two weeks from my understanding is to rid yourself of cravings and then move onto introducting quality carbs and sugars etc....one woman described how she ate and it sounded exactly like what SB is about......so i have to assume these people have no idea what the program is about and they are just running off at the mouth....but it just put a real damper on my first week on the plan and the weight loss i acheived this week....so I think I will stay clear of those forums for a while cause they just end up trying to sabatoge what i am trying to acheive.........anyways I was just upset and felt the need to post in friendly territory .......Hope everyone has a great canada day on tuesday and for the americans have a great Independance day on friday .....
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #2  
Keep Moving Forward!

S/C/G: 190/175/140

Height: 5'8''

You are here in friendly territory. If you know nothing about SB I can see an outsider thinking it is a fad diet.... though the low carb/ healthy carb diets have been around longer now than most fads. Stick with what you are doing. SB is about healthy eating and healthy living. Don't let the unknowing put a damper on all your work! I do not see SD going anywhere, the ideals are strong and supported.

Happy Canada Day to you! Enjoy the weekend.
happiness seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Cathy, try not to let it get you. We even have some of that hostility here in 3FC. Atkins is getting bashed all the time but it does work for some people. I pretty much just don't talk about my plan on other websites or with folks in real life. Don't let the bastidges get you down!

Are you off on Monday or stuck working a single day? I wonder if the Canada Day celebrations will be rained out, especially the fireworks. We used to sit up on the hill behind the Rev. Canada data centre, drink wine and watch from there. I wonder if people still do that.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

If it helps any to legitimize SB, it was my husband's doctor who recommended he go on South Beach. Don't think she'd be recommending a fad diet! My doctor knows I'm losing weight this way and she's supportive as well. And we're both getting great health benefits.

Before I read the book, I had gotten the impression it was a variation on Atkins. Perhaps your bashers were unaware and jumping on that bandwagon. Atkins is another misunderstood plan.

Last edited by WebRover; 06-28-2008 at 02:59 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Honestly I think it's the name...South Beach conjures up images of faddy stuff, wild nights and siliconed bodies on a beach...and usually anything that has "diet" behind it sounds like something that you do for a while then go back to eating junk.

If the name was "The healthy way to eat for life plan", then it would be a different story...
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
Atkins is another misunderstood plan.
I 100% agree...Atkins is a very misunderstood plan!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I really think that part of the issue is that folks base their judgment on what they know which is often very little esp about south beach.

someone said to me today 'isn't that drinking lemon and water?" umm NO....

people are amazed when I say I eat fruit, I eat veggies, I eat grains... what the heck do they think i eat air?

basically i find it critical for me to sing the praises of a healthy diet and since that's what SBD is... that's what I do.

I tell them I eat south beach style... lean protein, good carbs, good fats, lots of veggies and fruits. MY internist, my gyn and my gastro have all OKed SBD as my 'diet'
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have told several nurse practitioners about SB and they were impressed. They seemed to be unaware of what SB truly consists of. One said she needed to lose some weight and was interested in SB after I explained it to her. I think a lot of people don't understand it.

My mom's cardiologist recommended a "Mediterranean" diet to her after her angiogram showed some blockage, but didn't explain what he meant by that. I told her it's basically what South Beach consists of with the healthy oils and lots of produce.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #9  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

afternoon;
going to say my peace.....
why can't everyone just get along, on this site, that site, most diet sites.
all diets work for some, but not ALL.
i think most people just keep looking for the one magic diet that will do the trick and be a fast weight loss, so we can return to our normal (what we think is normal) way of eating. when all in all the weight has to come off slowly to better the chances of staying off. you do have to do some sort of exercise. and you can't return to "normal". you must change your ways.
i beleive the sites should be used for venting, exploring & learning. sometimes someone just has to talk something out, just to help themselfs figure out where/what went wrong. sometimes they need advice from someone looking in from the outside. sometimes they just need someone to listen to them.
i myself have been on most every diet out there. my doc recommeded this diet to me too. but he also knows i know my body better than he does. i have been now on p1 almost a week, but, my blood sugars have been out of range. so i do need to change my diet again, and it's back to the basics for a diabetic. i was looking for my magic diet which this isn't it for me, and that's ok with me. i still enjoy being here. i wish people were more supportive instead of sending them to food. (i mean for all sites). i know that is the last thing a person wants to do to someone else. when you have been in their shoes.
so, why can't everyone grow up and support each other. we all have needed help, we all know what the other is going through, we have been there or are there.
as long as we are doing this for ourselfs and our health to he** with everyone else.
thank you all for letting me vent my frustration with some out of line (other sites) "foodie fourms"

greeneyes, i am glad you felt comfort in coming here to vent. you do what you need to do for you!! don't listen to fools. we at 3fatchicks are not fools. we get the facts straight.
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

FYI, I am not on South Beach. I agree with Cat about the name. I'm not plugged into the mainstream press, so when I came onto 3FC and saw something called the "South Beach Diet," I had visions of bikinis clad teens looking to drop fifteen pounds fast before summer beach weather using kooky, rigid menus. It took a while before I realized it sounded pretty sensible and long term.

I am happy with my roll-my-own approach to weight loss, but I am lurking the low carb boards. I've decided to tweak my diet a bit by upping the greens and lean protein and reducing the (whole) grains and starchier veggies to compensate.

Last edited by yoyoma; 06-28-2008 at 05:02 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been fat and dieting most of my life (since age 5), and I've found that no matter what you do, people will criticise it.

If you're not dieting, people will tell you that you should be, and if you are dieting, there are always people telling you that you shouldn't be or that you're doing it wrong.

I've heard almost every criticism and myth that exists.

You can't lose weight if you're a vegetarian.
You can't lose weight unless you're a vegetarian.
You can't lose weight if you follow a formal plan.
You can't lose weight unless you follow a formal plan.
You can't lose weight with meal replacements.
You can only lose weight on meal replacements.
You can't lose weight if you weigh yourself daily.
You can't lose weight unless you weigh yourself daily.
You're losing too fast.
You're losing too slow.
"That plan" (regardless of the plan) isn't healthy.
You SHOULD be following this plan instead (and boy have some of the "should do" diets have been crazy ones.

It gets absolutely ridiculous, and boils down to having to work it out for yourself, with the professionals of your choice. If my doctor is ok with what I'm doing, and my blood work is looking good, every one else can kiss my still very large fanny.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-28-2008 at 05:27 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/191.6/135

My mother thinks I should be on WW. It worked for me once, but not recently, so I'm trying SBD. I know what my mother thinks of it and that she won't listen to reason, so she just gets told I'm watching what I eat and I just plan my once-a-month days with her as off-days, but try to be sensible. I used to not realize what SBD was about, but decided to research it when I was trying to get away from HFCS and discovered that it seemed like the right way for me to go.
briezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briezee View Post
I just plan my once-a-month days with her as off-days, but try to be sensible.
now see my goal would be to stick to SBD and after we had a lovely day together point out to her that I stuck totally to the SBD principles...

living well and eating well is the best way to prove it's a healthy way to eat.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/191.6/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
now see my goal would be to stick to SBD and after we had a lovely day together point out to her that I stuck totally to the SBD principles...

living well and eating well is the best way to prove it's a healthy way to eat.
We have monthly game night. Because of my dad's work schedule, they have to be either at my brother's house or theirs - I live too far away. Their diet tends to be non-SBD friendly - pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. In the interest of keeping family peace (and all families are different), I eat one bite of everything prepared (if you don't, you might as well not eat at a family gathering) and then go heavier on the SBD-friendly items. I do bring my own snacks. When my dad's schedule changes and they visit me, I will definitely do as you say.

Family peace is more important to me than one day off plan as long as I'm sensible. What I thought was good last weekend, is that I did learn I can be sensible, go off plan and not completely derail myself, which has been a pitfall in the past.

(None of which explains my bagel this morning...it was handmade by the owner of the bagel store though, so I knew what was in it...)
briezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #15  
ONEderland here I come!

i eat bagels once in a while and try to go for whole wheat if possible.

tonight i'm having fresh corn on the cob and watermelon.... SBD food ****s would tell me I'm wrong. TOUGH.

we all modify to make this plan totally liveable.