General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default hair up-do... wash hair or not??

Hey all - I have another question relating to the wedding I'm in today. Someone told me to wash my hair the day before not the day of (I've never had my hair put up before), which I did. I am to go with my dear friend, the bride, at noon to get our up-dos for the big event today.

Here's my problem -- I feel like I have sweat so much since I washed it yesterday .... it's hot as Hades here in Virginia and I was doing some work last night and this morning and got grungey (we are hosting the party tonight at our house). So, considering that, is it still best to go unwashed or is it ok to wash???

Thanks chickies!!!!!!!!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Go as is and let the stylist wash it if need be. Enjoy the wedding and the new hair style!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #3  
Addicted to potato salad!

If your hair is oily or dirty, wash it, but have it completely dry before you get to the salon. I never understood the wash-it-the-day-before thing, as a hairstylist. I had an up-do last night and she had washed her hair an hour before and it came out amazing! Maybe sneak on a tiny bit of mousse or spray gel before you dry it for added staying power with the up-do, as well.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #4  

From a stylists stand point...if the stylist has to wash it and dry it, that's about a half hour of the time she has allotted for you that she'll not be able to spend making your hair pretty. I had that on prom day, a girl came in with wicked dirty hair and I only had an hour allotted for her and spent half of it washing and drying it and we were in such a hurry, we forgot to put in the lilies of the valley she wanted in. And there's always a dampness after you've blown dried the hair, no matter how much you dry it, that keeps the curling iron from doing its job as well. Also, if its hot there, you won't want the heat from the blow dryer on your head, as it will cause sweating. Which isn't good, either.

Just my additional 2.5 cents!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #5  

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I was told by my stylist that if you want a good updo... wash it the night before - don't use any styling products.

Your hair will have some natural oils the next day that will help keep the up do stronger and less prone to frizz

I wanna see pics!!

Last edited by tamaralynn; 06-28-2008 at 11:46 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was watching a beauty pageant documentary once, and one of the pageant girls said that the secret to great looking hair is not too clean hair. She said too clean hair doesn't hold a hairstyle easily, so your hair either has to be a "little" dirty or you have to make it "dirty" with a boatload of hairspray and other styling products.

For my wedding day, I'd washed and dried my hair the night before, and the hair dresser STILL used a boatload of hairspray (it did look wonderful, but it was a nightmare to undo. Especially because we were so tired when we got to the hotel we went right to bed (not even any wedding night whoopie). It was funny because a skinny, young coworker had warned me not to expect any wedding night romance, because weddings suck every ounce of energy from the couple. When she said it I thought she was nuts!

Anyway, getting the hairdo undone in the morning after sleeping on it was a nightmare.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-28-2008 at 11:56 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralynn View Post
I was told by my stylist that if you want a good updo... wash it the night before - don't use any styling products.

Your hair will have some natural oils the next day that will help keep the up do stronger and less prone to frizz

I wanna see pics!!
Very true....but if your hair is literally dirty from sweat and hard work and actually looks oily, that's not good, either. The girl who's hair I washed and dried first...her hair literally smelled and hadn't been washed in a couple days. And she'd been out mowing the lawn.

And a small bit of spray gel or mousse is a plus in my book. All stylists are different.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #9  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

My wedding day hair had about a million bobby pins in it, there was no way I could go to sleep with them in, there might even have been some little rubber bands, too.

I remember changing out of my wedding dress (didn't want to!) but leaving my hair and headpiece for the ride to the airport, it was fun when we stopped somewhere for gas or whatnot...

6th anniversary tomorrow, sorry for the rememberance... I guess making sure it's completely dry is a big part of it, especially for poker straight hair like mine, you need every advantage to make it last for the day.

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #10  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I sometimes wash my hair in the evenings, and then just wet it down again (no shampoo/conditioner) in the morning when I get up before I go to work. I always find it looks much nicer, sleeker, and less frizzy when I do this because it has more natural oils left in it.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #11  

Hey girls - the update on my updo is that I DID wash it. I normally wash my hair every other or every 2 days (more in winter), and I had washed it Friday - the day before. But I had gotten so sweaty from working that it just felt really gross. So... I washed it.

I told her when I got there that I knew I shouldn't have washed it - she groaned. But then I explained why, and she said, "We'll work with it... I have products that can 'dirty' it up". She did a sleek French twist - I will try to post pics when I get them back!

This has become an interesting thread.

I also always wondered if anyone else does what I do - I call it the "bang wash." Since I shampoo only every other or every 2-3 days (or my hair gets dry), I often do a bang wash in the shower, especially after exercising. I put my hair in a ponytail or bun (it's shoulder length) and pull out my bangs and the hair around my face down to my ears. My bangs come to my mouth - long bangs - and they do get greasier than the rest of my hair. I just wash that part and this gets me through another day looking like I have freshly washed hair.

Anyone else do that?