General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Maid of Honor Speech-HELP!!

My sister gets married next weekend, and I have to prepare a speech. I am so scared of public speaking, and there will be over 300 ppl there!! Has anyone ever been in this situation? Guide me please!!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Hello,
Tell a great story about you and your sister. I've been MOH many a time, and it seems a story that is really special to both of you is the way to go. It will mean a lot to her, and the crowd usually loves it, too. Not to mention, it's something you can probably tell without being super rehearsed. I'm sure you're going to do great - just remember, you're doing this for your sister, not everyone else who happens to be there.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Agreed - share a special story - particularly if there is a humorous element. Keep it short. I have seen MOHs go on and on and people rolling their eyes - enough already! Something from the heart - and even if you are nervous - it will come off fine.
Enjoy - don't stress - have fun and let us know how it went
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

EEk... Born... i'm right there with you! Not to mention my DH and I are hosting the after party at our house, so I've been SOOO busy it's not even funny is this saturday. I know mine will come off mushy and sentimental, but I just wish I had time and energy to prepare something!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I went to a wedding recently where the best man was the younger brother of the groom. After telling a few funny stories of sibling rivalry he ended with "Today he knows who the best man is ". Of course that won't help you. but I agree with a humerous story, perhaps something that happened as young girls.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

As a wedding photographer I hear TONS of speeches and I can tell you right now that short and heartfelt is the way to go. I think the funny/cute story thing is good and some people are really good at public speaking and can drop funny stories and so forth ... but if you're not comfortable with it, then it can come across as awkward if you try to "force" it.

Don't ramble, don't think you have to be clever or witty. Just be honest and speak from the heart. If you have to write it down beforehand on an index card (and don't write more than will fill the front and back of the card - that's a good guideline for "not too long" ), then do.

And honestly the best speech I ever heard (and one that made me cry) was from the sister of a bride who said simply "You've always been the big sister I looked up to, and now you've brought me a wonderful big brother, too! I love you both. Congratulations."

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone!! It's actually for my little sister ( which is a pretty sensitive subject with me as well ) I guess I'm just scared of getting emotional before even being able to get the speech out! I have read some sample speeches and they make me tear up just reading them, let alone talking about how happy I am for my little sister.

Admittingly, I'm also scared about others asking me about being the older sister and still single with no bf. I think I could lose it if someone brings it up. Some have said nobody would say anything, others said some would, not to be mean, just to inquire.

Last edited by Smiling_Sara; 06-27-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #8  

Come up with a good, smiling response now so you'll be prepared. Inevitably some well-meaning distant aunt will pinch your cheek and say "And when will we get to come to your wedding??"

And you can respond with a big smile "As soon as I find someone as wonderful as [new BIL]."

Old 06-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ooh, Photo, good answer!

I agree with having an answer prepared. Seriously. I do that when I anticipate someone is going to put their foot in it...just prepare an answer in case they do. No stress and you don't get emotional since you're prepared.

This was my toast to my sister:

For those of you I haven’t met, I am Sis's younger sister, Amanda. She and I grew up just barely more than 15 months apart. We went to the same elementary schools and middle schools, and our social circles sometimes overlapped. Until high school, we basically couldn’t get away from each other at school or at home.

The thing about being so close together in age is that it makes everything you experience just a little more intense. Little arguments, normal sibling rivalry…all of those things were escalated while we were growing up. It was almost as though being so close together made us feel everything toward each other a little more deeply than we might have otherwise.

The nice thing is, though, that this doesn’t apply only to the negatives. Being so close in age to Sis has intensified all of the happy things too, especially as we’ve grown older. We went through attending college together, getting into relationships together, and in the past year or so, getting married together, and the happiness and gratitude I feel that I have such a wonderful sister in my life can’t be explained. My joy as I stood, watching Sis and BIL get married today, was indescribable.

It may have been a rough road when the two of us were younger. Today, however, I am so happy for the two of you, and so in awe of the person I have watched my sister become, the person I have learned my new brother-in-law is, and the relationship that you have built together, that it makes every petty high school argument worth the struggle. I am honored to be able to welcome BIL to our family, and can’t wait to go through the rest of life’s milestones with such amazing people by my side.

So to <Sister and BL's names>, my best wishes for a long, happy, prosperous, and exciting life together. I am so glad to have the opportunity to share it with you.

To <Sister and BILs names>
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Make sure you have the speech on a card if you forget what's next.
Also, practice, practice, practice! Deliver the speech to yourself in front a mirror; if you don't want to look at yourself, at least memorize it (by saying it out loud) - that should help. I would be nervous if I had to speak in front of 300 guests (heck, 20 would do) but it is just the first moments. If I rehearse it well, then I just 'slide' into it after the first few words and it goes smoothly.
Good luck!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #11  
Mommy to be!

S/C/G: 168/---/125

oh man, this has me thinking about what my little sister will say at my wedding...i know its going to be a sob festival!!

Good luck and i second keeping it short. My SIL was MOH at her sis' wedding this spring and her speech was very short, sweet and heartfelt!
skinnybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #12  

Manda, what a great speech.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
Admittingly, I'm also scared about others asking me about being the older sister and still single with no bf. I think I could lose it if someone brings it up. Some have said nobody would say anything, others said some would, not to be mean, just to inquire.
This issue brought up something that I wanted to mention. I was at a wedding where the younger sister was the bride, and the older sister was still single (and pregnant). Please, don't let the speech be at all about YOU.

In this particular instance, the maid of honor told everyone about how SHE got the bride and groom together, and about how she always thought that it would be HER getting married first, and well, she is going to be doing SOMETHING before her younger sister...blah, blah, blah...

My husband looked at me...and said "was the speech about the bride and groom, or about HER?"
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #14  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

theknot.com has a lot of great tips

and Manda your speech had me in tears!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #15  
Addicted to potato salad!

I have advice on what NOT to say...I was at my niece's wedding and the MOH was talking about how much they drank and how many guys they slept with during college and how she's so glad she finally found the 'right' guy. Tacky....very tacky.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote