Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218.8/165/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Challenging Night Ahead: Party

I have a party to go to tonight -- and it's the first major challenge I've had since I've decided to be healthier...

I'm nervous about the whole thing -- I know my bf will be supportive and won't let me give in to temptation... but at the same time, I know it's going to be tough because people have certain expectations of party-goers.

I already know I'm going to have my dinner before going... and I'm not going to drink (I hate you free open bars!) but I'm sure I'll get funny looks and questions if I'm not drinking and not eating... (I'm suure they'll think I'm pregnant!)

I think I need to have a mantra for tonight so I can get through it... and keep reminding myself of all the reasons why I'm doing this...

Anyway -- I just needed to vent a little bit... and would love any words of advice and/or encouragement you could lend...

kukristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #2  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Open bar = seltzer water/club soda. You can even have them throw in a cherry or two. No one needs to know you're not drinking!

Food, on the other hand, can be tough unless you've planned to allow some calories for snacks. Since you've eaten dinner, just focus on how good you'll feel when you get through the party without giving into the food temptations!

Last edited by ars; 06-26-2008 at 08:36 PM.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

And dance!!
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Bar:
Club soda with a slice of lime
Diet gingerale with a cherry
Diet coke with a lime
All of those *look* like a drink - you could be having a Seven and ginger, or a rum and Coke or just about anything. That way people won't give you crap unless they actually hear you ordering at the bar.

For the food - try to load up on veggie crudites and fruit if there is any. ANd don't be afraid to put a few items on a plate and walk around with it .. and not actually eat. If you watch slender women at parties, you'll see that a lot of them will get food and then never eat any of it. They'll eventually leave the plate on a table somewhere and move on.

You'll be surprised how few people notice and comment if you just act like it's natural.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Bar:
Club soda with a slice of lime
Diet gingerale with a cherry
Diet coke with a lime
All of those *look* like a drink - you could be having a Seven and ginger, or a rum and Coke or just about anything. That way people won't give you crap unless they actually hear you ordering at the bar.

For the food - try to load up on veggie crudites and fruit if there is any. ANd don't be afraid to put a few items on a plate and walk around with it .. and not actually eat. If you watch slender women at parties, you'll see that a lot of them will get food and then never eat any of it. They'll eventually leave the plate on a table somewhere and move on.

You'll be surprised how few people notice and comment if you just act like it's natural.

Hey, that's a great Idea....I read this thread because I have a similar situation coming up, and all those..."Aren't you going to eat", "are you starving yourself looks" ,& "You're not drinking" remarks drive me crazy! Maybe I'll even ask for a recipe or two..and order a cocktail and dump it gradually...lol Thanks
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218.8/165/165

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the support -- turns out it was easier than I thought...

The food looked crappy, so no one was really eating anyway!

I didn't even bother going to the bar because I spent so much time talking to people -- and no one ever noticed I wasn't drinking.

My bf stayed by my side and supported my decisions (he didn't even drink or eat... in solidarity!)

There were bowls and bowls of nuts and m&ms though -- which just about killed me to look at... so I just avoided em...

Just making the decision to not eat or drink their food/drinks ended up being up being best. I didn't go in there thinking, "well, if I have just one..." I just said no to it all.. and it worked out.

*phew* One down... I have a bridal shower tomorrow which will not be as easy... eeekkk
kukristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145 / 143 / 115

Height: 5'2"

glad to hear it went well!!!
good luck with the shower. I think you'll be fine... stick with those veggies!!!
chickenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #8  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Yay!

full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote