South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Turns out what I thought was the SBD flu was really an intestinal virus.. now what??

The sickness I've been feeling, and the random throwing up came to a full-out illness fest yesterday morning. Woke up with my stomach churning and clenching like mad, bubbling, and everything you can think of, with the worst nausea I've ever had. Made it to the bathroom just in time to throw up all of the previous night's strangely undigested chili. (Which was delicious when I had it the night before, but certainly not coming out, so now, I will never, ever eat chili again.) Then it just got worse from there. I started having simulataneous full force vomiting AND diarrhea. It was nonstop, every few seconds I was on the toilet. (I know, too much info, lol.) I felt like I was going to die. I couldn't keep down ANY liquids and I was becoming horribly dehydrated. The vomiting was like painful convulsions! And I had chills so bad that I was shuddering. And it was 80 degrees in the house. I had no way of getting to the hospital because my bf was working with a friend on insulation that sunday... so I was forced to wait till he got home. We got a friend to watch the baby then went to the express care of the hospital. I was swaying on my feet. They promptly sent me to the emergency room.

So billions of hours later, after listening to my bf rant on about how it was probably this "crazy diet" making me sick, (because I NEVER get sick), I got diagnosed with a stomach/intestinal virus. I was given meds for diarrhea, meds for nausea, and instructed to take tylenol for the fever I had.

I was told I couldn't eat ANYTHING for 2 days, just drink lots of fluids and chicken soup broth, and stuff. So, that pretty much has ruined phase 1 for me. Today I crashed in bed all day and drank fluids, but at one point ate 2 slices of bread spread with smart balance, and scrambled eggs with cheese (although they also told me that I can't have milk or cheese for a week.)

Feeling better now, but my question is, how do I get back on the bandwagon? Do I re-start phase one or just keep on going once I can eat again, and add more days to it? I am not quitting but I'm not sure where to start again.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 06-23-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Eessh. Sucks to be you, girl!
I'm not a south beach person; I do WW. When we're sick, we're told not to freak out and take it easy until we're better. Until you feel 100%, eat when your body tells you to. I wouldn't worry about eating crap food--I don't think your tummy will crave any. My guess is you'll be craving tummy-friendly foods that are easy to digest (or throw up ). Toast, jello, bananas, applesauce, oatmeal. I think that's more "carby" then you would like right now, but I have the feeling that too much roughage like veggies, etc will be too hard for your tummy to handle.
I have a pretty nasty digestive disorder, and sometimes it's hard to eat all my points when I'm queasy. Or the thought of eating my lean meat, dairy, and veggies makes me green, but I'll eat my weight in bread for a day or two. Whatever makes your body feel better again. Don't go out of your way to eat yucky food, but maybe relax for a few days and heal. Hope that helps!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am sorry you got sick!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/205/185

Height: 5'10"

your symptoms sound a lot like this virus that goes around my my college dorms every year. I'm sorry that you have it and I do hope you feel better soon!
From someone who has seen this type of thing a lot (I was an RA and a lot of my residents had it) Eat when you feel hungry, but I wouldn't worry about following SBD. When you are sick, your body will crave exactly the foods it needs to get better so you shouldn't deprive it. Chances are you won't be keeping down that many calories so make sure what you do eat has nutrients and is healthy.

You might notice your stomach shrank a little bit by the time you are better. That could help you start back up once you feel better. I hope you feel better soon.
marheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5'7"

Ouch, that's awful I hope you feel better soon, hon.
Auralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My advice is to stop thinking about SBD, eat what you can and focus on getting better. It sounds like you are really sick. I hope you feel better soon.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I hope you start feeling better soon, Melanie.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #8  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

feel better soon.....
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
My advice is to stop thinking about SBD, eat what you can and focus on getting better. It sounds like you are really sick. I hope you feel better soon.
Very good advice.

I think that folks forget that SBD is a life plan and not a diet per se and therefore forget that keeping themselves healthy is JOB 1!
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #10  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Hope you feel better, Melanie!

Focus on getting well first...SB ain't goin anywhere!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Just follow doctors orders and REST! Don't worry about being SBD friendly Feel better!

Btw, your boyfriend's attitude irritates me. Tell him he needs to either fully support you, or shut up. It's going to be difficult to beat the cravings when you have someone that close to you nagging you to quit all the time.

Last edited by zeffryn; 06-24-2008 at 10:14 AM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #12  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

I hope you're beginning to feel better. Stomach issues suck! For the next couple of days you should probably stick to the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, & toast). And be sure to follow your doctor's orders. Eating dairy was probably not really smart. Broths and BRAT should be what your tummy needs.
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #13  
NewnamesamePam

S/C/G: 287/247/135

Lightbulb When you are well, continue as planned if that is what you want

Fat Melanie, I am sorry that you felt so bad. I have been following SBD since January 1st and I was really surprised that I didn't have any flus or colds during the whole time. I do overindulge sugar alcohols, even though I know better, and I do have a resultant diarrhea/gas afterwards. I am well aware of this too. Oh, well......

I think if you liked following SBD and you want to continue, then once you are better, resume Phase 1 since you have never been on it before. Again, Phase 1 is to detox your body from all of the junk food and processed white flour/white sugar you may have been eating before. Even if you had a "Last Meal" before you started Phase 1 (I did) then you will be detoxing that.

Again, it was unfortunate but if you want to still follow SBD, wait until you feel well enough to resume it.

PS No bread or fruit though on Phase 1.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by PamByr; 06-24-2008 at 11:38 AM.
PamByr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Thanks everyone. I feel better today, it was like a 72 hour thing I guess. Since I ate white bread the past couple of days, I'm going to restart Phase 1 tomorrow to detox again, it would probably be better to do that then pick up where I left off.

PS- Even though I was sick, I still had smug satisfaction when (as usual) know-it-all BF was proved wrong, when the doctor said it was a virus, not the diet. Hah! Then BF changed his tune and was all like, "I told you it was just a stomach bug." Oh, my, god. He is the World's-Most-Annoying-Person.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote