Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/Ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

Default wanting opinions

Was jsut wondering what everyones take is on "walking for weight loss" I've been finding to much onflicting info on walking related to weight loss online but its been my only form of exercise in my diet .. and my favorite to be honest .... Its time to myself and relaxing and I feel accomplishment after I walk for 15 mins all uphill a day listening to my hubbies mp3 player I hope to get up to 30 minutes eventually .... so do u think I'm just staying healthy?? or could i actually lose weight and burn fat this way???
onesullengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

You can lose weight walking, but not just strolling along. You need to raise your heart rate to really burn calories.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Yes! You and I are a very similar size, and I walk more than any other form of exercise. I do various things, but walking is my staple. By the way, come join us on Featherweights thread since you only have a little to lose.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Ditto what Photo says... BRISK, arm swinging walking is the kind I do. It feels like a great workout! I typically do an hour.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I used walking as my primary exercise to lose weight. I was over 300 pounds when I started, so I could only go for about 1/2 mile, but I got up to 3-4 miles walking hills in 40-54 minutes. I got sick last year and couldn't walk anymore and had surgery in December on my leg. I was bed bound/on a walker/crutches for 3 months. I started walking (for exercise) again about a month ago, and I'm up to 3 miles again, although my trail isn't hilly and it takes me around 52 minutes. I plan on using walking (I'm going to get up to 4 or 5 miles every day) to finish losing the rest of the weight. I plan on walking at least over an hour a day, every day. A quick, strong pace will definitely help you lose weight. And hills are really great to keep your heart rate up.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 AM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Walking briskly is great, but unless you are also eating fewer calories than you burn, you won't lose weight by walking 15 or 30 minutes a day. At your weight, walking one mile will burn about 90 calories, which doesn't go a very long way towards creating a calorie deficit. Do you have some type of food plan also (calorie counting, weight watcher, low carb, etc)?

Last edited by jtammy; 06-21-2008 at 11:05 AM.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

If the bottom line is 'eat less and move more' ... and walking is 'moving more' for you ... it's a good exercise.

I think walking has become sooo popular because, in general, folks are sooo sedentary nowadays.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm on the same page as jtammy on this one.

Walking was my main exercise when I started out on this little journey. But weight loss simply can not occur on that alone. Calorie restriction is required. Walking, or really any 30 minute exercise routine simply can not create as much as a calorie deficit that's needed in order to continously lose and maintain weight loss. The amount of calories it burns is minimum. It's really the combination of exercise and healthy eating that's required.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #9  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

I would say that walking (especially walking quickly) is good, but running is better. Although it seems intimidating at first, running really doesn't have to be torture- you can start out only jogging one minute and walking four, and then build up to running for longer periods of time, and then to running faster. I started running when I weighed 206 pounds and was totally out of shape, and even I enjoyed it. The key is to pick combinations of walking/running that are challenging but not impossible for you as you are right now, and to slowly build up. You're not going to be able to run that fast at first- you'll pretty much be in a slow jog- but the process is very, VERY worth it. If you can get up to jogging one minute out of two just think how many more calories you'd burn in your workout!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #10  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

Onesullengurl, it's not clear to me whether you're asking if walking on its own will help you to lose weight, or whether walking is effective as the exercise element of your weight loss program. I'll assume it's the latter.

Walking is often called the "king" of exercises, and here's why:

It is a low impact exercise, placing very little stress on muscles and joints, so there is very little chance of injury.
It exercises many muscles, including your heart, so it is great for calorie burning, toning the body, and keeping fit.

Even more than that, when you choose an exercise, it is best to choose one that you can do permanently and adopt as part of your lifestyle, so that all health and weight loss benefits are permanent and ongoing. Walking fits that bill to a T. Sure, you can burn calories and lose weight a lot quicker by doing more intensive workouts, but sooner or later (sooner for most peeps) those workouts will cease to be a part of your life, and we all know what happens then don't we......?

It's true that 30 minutes of uphill walking at a calorie burn of about 150 is not going to rock your world, but you do this every day, right? That's 54750 calories burned in a year, or 15 pounds lost in a year - every year, from walking alone. How many of us would settle for a drop of 15 pounds right now?
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #11  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i certainly would!....
i cant keep my weight loss going with walking alone....
its just not physically possible for me....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I say if you enjoy something - go for it. Most of my weight loss was acheived by counting calories and walking. I have, however, progressed to more strenuous exercise like biking, running and weight training. I still walk - it just isn't really my "workout" time anymore. I walk because I enjoy my dog time. If you want to know how many calories you burn while walking, get a heart rate monitor. It's good info to have.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/Ticker/127

Wow!! thank you everyone for the awesome replies!!!
featherweights forum ? cool I will see you there! to answer inquires about my plan ... this is the thing .. I quit soda completely and cold turkey I'm on my 6th day and soda free! wooohooo ( been drinking only water or propel ) I've been cutting my calories for sure and trying to eat healthier foods and smaller portions and listening to my body when it says "stop cramming yer face lady"... I've changed my attitude towards food a lot although I still love food and different tastes .. Instead of eating jsut for something to do ... I remind myself I'm only eating to stay healthy and keep my body happy ... ( aside from the occasional oh say... 4th of july ... ) my plan was to cut down to 1200 a day although I've gone under most days ( not on purpose) I'm debating on upping to 1400 though so that I have some elbow room and I am quite active aside from my walk ... I heavily clean most the day and have a active 2 year old.... I do work outside yard work , gardens etc... this is my fear .. that I may not be walking "brisk" enough ( arms swinging ) as people say I can do that on the leveler ground and part way up the hill but honestly when I say uphill I mean a freekin cliff!!! I do have to slow down a bit at the peek of it and take smaller steps but I still try to keep a good pace ( that pace improves day to day I find) ... right now it is physically impossible for me to go any faster up it .. it is just to steep and I'm not in shape and I smoke ( eeek quiting that next! ) ... so I've been keeping calories at 1200 or less AND the walk ( everyday sometimes twice ) .. and its been working so far .. (I think ) I intend to just keep doing it even if it stops working for weight loss because I really enjoy the time to myself and its healthy anyways! I always intend on doing the road twice to get 30 mins ( also everyday my time gets cut a bit I must be going faster each time without noticing ) . but by the time i get up the hill and back to my house my legs are jello and I just have to come in plop down somewhere and drink a billion gallons of water!.. my heart rate is going and I sweat so I'm guessing that is the idea of it ... oh and this week I'm going out and getting dance dance revolution supernova 2 !! I am going to add that into my routine 30-45 mins per day thanks again everyone for the great replies you guys are awesome!.
onesullengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #14  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

In my opinion, you're well on the right track - literally! Forget about swinging your arms, it's not necessary, you're walking up a steep incline, there are few better ways of burning calories. Stick with it!
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I added a mile walk to my routine once I'd lost the initial twenty pounds. I have arithritis and waited that long just so it would take a bit of stress off my knees and feet. I'm now up to two miles per night.

I don't think it's helping at all with the weight loss, but it IS tightening up my leg muscles and giving me some time outdoors away from the computer screen. I can also tell my cardiovascular endurance is improving.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote