Old 06-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

Unhappy i wasnt nervous but now i am.....

i have to go to traffic court. it isnt the end of the world. it is for supposedly running a red light. it was NOT red when i entered the intersection. it WAS yellow. i tried to slow down but was going too fast (well under speed limit but over 25 MPH). the thing is i am 46 and have NEVER had a ticket or moving violation. and it is a $242 ticket! it wasnt a person; it was a camera thing. in the pictures you are sent to PROVE you did it; you cant see the color of the light. it did turn red AFTER i was IN the intersection.

this is just the WORST possible time for any extra expenses. and yes, there is a payment plan but it very short term. like paid in 60 days.

i havent pigged out. i did exercise..........for 90 minutes and i was sweating.

i just dont want to come home and EAT in frustration or relief. and i am NOT thinking about the increase in insurance yet.

ARRRGGHH!

i already plead not guilty and now it is actually the hearing today.

me, the judge and i guess someone from city to prove i did it.

wish me lots of luck and bravery.

trying not to cry now.
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Good LUCK! I HATE those STUPID red light cameras. let us know how it goes.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Good luck. I've only been to traffic court twice, it is intimidating but survivable. I'd suggest you do some planning though for afterwards. If you get really stressed remind yourself that they might be able to make you pay money, but you won't give them the upper hand by providing a pound of flesh as well! Plan what you will do when you leave that doesn't include eating.

One of the options is "supervision". You do pay a fine, but the way it works if you don't get another ticket for a specified period it disappears from your license. (So your insurance never goes up.) You also might get traffic school as an alternative to a fine.

Good luck, be brave, and don't let them sabotage your success!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Let us know what happened.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #5  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Unless you can prove (through video or something) that the camera is faulty, and takes pictures too early, then I don't believe your chances at winning are very good.

You may get a sympathetic judge, though.

It's much easier to fight tickets when there is a living, breathing police officer who has to come to court. A lot of times, they don't even show up and you win by default!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

Good Luck!! What a pain!! It sounds like you've thought and planned ahead re the eating as a soothing mechanism. Come back here and vent or celebrate if you want.
Ailey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #7  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Let us know how it comes out. A co-worker got one of those tickets for a county at the other end of the state. The picture on the ticket was clearly not her car (different brand) and not her plate. She ended up getting her license suspended before she was able to get it handled. These things are just plain wrong.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

i am guilty. they played a video and it WAS red before i entered the intersection. so i have to pay. but it was interesting and educational. i was first perso to have "trial" since they installed the cameras. the man who markets camera system to city was there and i got to talk to him and give somefeedback. it was pretty painless. orignal ticket was $360 and i have to pay $182 since i have never had ticket before. and insurance most likely wont go up.

glad i wnet and had my say. i was very amusing to the judge and the camera guy. the officer was very offical and didnt see the humor in me.

oh well.

i didnt eat badly. i was exhausted and had a headache from nerves. i ate a salad cause i was afraid if i didnt early, i would eat junk later. watched a movie (the hustler) and took a bath and read oprah.

i survived! and i have till august 15th to pay ticket so i can use bonus i get at end of july.

thanks for the support!!
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

In California you can opt to go to Driving School, usually a day long affair and it will not appear on your driving record so no increase in Ins premiums.Not just any driving school but one authorized by the state. You don't do any actual driving, but watch movies and listen to lectures. How do I know ? It seems as though I have a heavy foot.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
In California you can opt to go to Driving School, usually a day long affair and it will not appear on your driving record so no increase in Ins premiums.Not just any driving school but one authorized by the state. You don't do any actual driving, but watch movies and listen to lectures. How do I know ? It seems as though I have a heavy foot.
True, but I think you forfeit the option when you contest the ticket (in California). Obviously other states may be different.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #11  

There would be no point in contesting it if you can keep it off your record just by going to Driving School for a day, I have had that dubious honor several times and California DMV and Farmer's Insurance no nothing about it.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #12  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

In Florida you can only go so many times a year and there's a lifetime maximum. If you were running out of times, you might contest one that was iffy.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
There would be no point in contesting it if you can keep it off your record just by going to Driving School for a day, I have had that dubious honor several times and California DMV and Farmer's Insurance no nothing about it.
I quite agree, I only mentioned it in relation to the OP, who did contest it - didn't know if she realized she might have taken a different approach.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #14  

Other states may have different options , but it would be worth it to check it out if you get a ticket.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #15  
XXXtine

S/C/G: 279/230/180

Height: 5'10

Tickets stink. But, at least you saw evidence and you felt better about it. Sorry you have to pay!
xxxtine is offline   Reply With Quote