Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #1  

Default Back again

Ok it's official I've tried everything! I know that Atkins is the only way that works and I really beleive, even though I've never followed through with it, that it will help me take the weight off. I'm the queen of denial when it comes to my weight. What I see and what others see is something completely different but the clothes and the scale don't lie. Now I've eaten my way to pre-diabetes. My doctor had me taking Metformin and continuing to eat carbs but I don't know or respect any limits with carbs so here I am back to Atkins. The first time I tried Atkins it was a really sad and stressful time in my life I knew I had to do something but is was a very stressful time and I fell off but I understand what happened. This time I'm in a situation where this is not about looking good or fitting into smaller clothes. And my stress level is significantly lower. I'm afraid my diabetes situation will get worse, I'm afraid of heart disease and I'm just plain afraid of what will happen to me if I don't at least try to change. So I'm doing the opposite of what I've done. I'm posting here, I joined e-diets Atkins to help with recipes. See I have a streak of trying to do things all by myself. I don't ask for help and when I do ask if I don't get what I want I don't ask again. I want to do this differently this time. I'm going to ask for help and stop trying to lean on my own(bad) information. I joined e-diets but I agree with this list and I'm not going to eat anything off the induction list esp. Atkins bars. I've stocked my fridge with what I need. My biggest problem is the carb addicted children I've raised. It's hard to just throw out food and start over when you're a single parent, I just can't waste my money like that. But I'm going to follow a gradual approach and whenever something carby runs out I won't replace it. I know better than to eat it. Any support or advise anyone can offer would be very helpful I need as many buddies on this journey as I can get, as I tend to isolate. I've been running lately and have built up to running 30 minutes again and and have lost 10 lbs so far but I also know my carbo loads were too high. A typical day was beans and rice and chicken for dinner, no veggies, eggs and toast for breakfast, fruit and cottage cheese or yogurt for snack and more fruit for snack and more beans and rice for lunch, more fruit and more beans and rice for dinner, there were some salads and a few veggies thrown in for good measure. Usually by the time I'm at this level I start eating out more and then I go for the gusto and start eating sweets full on. This kept my blood sugar high and kept me craving more and more sweets. One big question I have or maybe it's sort of a myth buster type of thing, can I run while doing Atkins? Running is my favorite exercise. I also like to lift weights but running is my first love. I've heard that low carb is not good for runners and that runners need more carbs, please help clarify if you can what type of exercise do you do.
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Msruthie!!

My first piece of advice to you is going to be to get yourself a copy of Dr. AtkinsDiabetic Revolution book (Ebay, Amazon or Barnes & Noble should have it..they even sell used copies cheap) and read it cover to cover. If there is anything you don't understand, read it again...until you get it down pat. Understanding this eating plan & how it works, is the secret to motivation & success.

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement. Please feel free to come here often & ask questions. We are all here to help you as much as we can

Have a look here for some of the best low carb recipes on the internet. The Induction friendly ones are marked with an *
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-19-2008 at 02:34 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #3  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Right there with you MsRuthie.
I had great success with Atkins in 2004 - then another baby (my last) and from there the weight just piled on - and I could never seem to refocus to solidly following Atkins.

But just also diagnosed with Diabetes and it's truly my own fault - bad easting habits, too much stress, no exercise - you name it. So here I am again this time praying I get past that first and most difficult 5 weeks. BUT like you I am SCARED of heart disease, blindness, the list goes on and on. My youngest is only 3 - I BETTER get serious!!!!

Good Luck to you! - I will check in on the daily chat board.
Kim
Kim in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Hi there and

to you both!

I am on a variation of Atkins, the book The Idiot-proof Diet by Neris and India. I've changed that up even more by adding a heavier exercise plan.

I've been on my journey since May 14th. I exercise 6 days a week and eat low carb. Yes, it is possible to do both (just drink LOTS of water...and the funny thing is, the more you drink, the more you want!).

So, to answer your question, yes, you can run while on Atkins. It's what I do the most of also (was a track runner in jr high/high school...one would think I would know better than to get this big).
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:12 AM   #5  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Welcome! I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Atkins is the only diet plan that works - demonstrably 3FC has success stories with a range of different diet plans. But I definitely think it's the most successful thing for ME, and it sounds like it (or at least one of the Low Carb Plans) is probably going to be the way forward for you too.

The good news - it's surprisingly easy, once you've got over the initial sense of weirdness about not including those starchy fillers in your meals. I've really changed the way I look at food now, and I really enjoy what I eat. Actually, I find lettuce a pretty useful thing - having a bed of lettuce under things, rather than a pile of rice or noodles, or using lettuce as a wrapper instead of tortillas or pita. It's tasty and it catches the sauce nicely.

And I can't argue with the results! It's definitely working, and I definitely feel batter.

Snapless - thanks for the link! That looks really interesting - I had no idea India Knight had (a) lost a load of weight or (b) co-authored a diet book! But I always enjoyed reading her articles in The Guardian. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
Snapless - thanks for the link! That looks really interesting - I had no idea India Knight had (a) lost a load of weight or (b) co-authored a diet book! But I always enjoyed reading her articles in The Guardian. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one!
I recommend it as a read to anyone - Atkins or no - who is trying to lose weight/get in better shape. Because it is a seriously no-nonsense straightforward approach to WHY we overindulge (I'm not going to say overeat because for some of us it wasn't how much we ate, it was what we ate). The first few chapters of the book deal simply with that, how to get beyond the BS (with yourself), how to keep yourself motivated, etc.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Okay Ruthie, here's another Back Again-er... I'm Ruby and I had a great time with Atkins from 2001-2003 -- lost bout 40 pounds... But now I need to do it again and have bee on and offish the past three months...
But after a major carb low these, I am switching to low carb! Those carbs were making me sleepy, bloated, cross, and a pain in the ***....
So, here's to our happiness as low carbers
RubyJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #8  

Default Day 5

Ok it's day 5 and I feel better than I've felt in months. The headaches are on and off but I'm used to carb headaches so I can live with these for the moment. At least I'm waking up feeling like some kicked my a$% last night. I called that carb hangover. My blood sugars are even getting a little better they've been going down teach morning starting at 122 fasting each morning to 106 fasting this morning. I have to say also that the reason I like Atkins is b/c it's easy. I don't have to weigh and measure very much and I had everything I needed in my fridge already I didn't have to go out this weekend and buy a bunch of 'diet' food. Even my overweight daughter ate lunch and dinner with me yesterday and didn't even notice or mention that it was low carb, so the food is kid friendly. I've gotten a lot of recipes to help too and that makes a big difference. I haven't had egg salad in YEARS but I had one Friday with celery sticks and it was great. I picked up the diabetes Revolution book and I"ve been reading it all weekend. It really brings together all the information from Atkin's other books and it makes sense out of this disease and ways to treat it. I ran on Saturday and Sunday and had great energy afterwards so I'm thrilled about that too! It's been going well so far and I'm taking it ODAAT. Thanks for all your posts!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #9  

[QUOTE=broadabroad;2235642]Welcome! I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Atkins is the only diet plan that works - demonstrably 3FC has success stories with a range of different diet plans. But I definitely think it's the most successful thing for ME, and it sounds like it (or at least one of the Low Carb Plans) is probably going to be the way forward for you too.

QUOTE]

That exactly what I meant, it's the only thing that works for me, thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #10  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Great Job Ruthie...

I too am on day 5 - and while I do feel better - these evening hours are Awful for me especially with what my husband is feeding our kids and I need to sit at the table and smell!!!!

So I find a cup of decaf coffee is a REAL TREAT in the evening. I am still VERY tired - but hopefully that will open up to lots more energy next week.
Kim in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote