Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #1  
Miss Thickness

S/C/G: 198/189/165

Height: 5'7

Default Trying to undone what i've been doing for a life time

hey guys i have a few question about food
ok here goes is whole wheat bread any good for dieters
and can i have jello if so what kind?
and turkey what kind do i buy?

sorry you guys iv'e been living with really bad eating habit for life
so i really need this advice
ciliciaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hi, well some of these things are a matter of opinion but:

1. Whole wheat bread -- there's no reason you can't have whole wheat bread as part of a healthy diet as long as you don't overdo it and aren't carb sensitive.

2. Jello -- you can have Jello if you want Jello and if Jello is what you want to spend your calories on. Depending on your meal plan you might look for single-serving Jello cups to keep the treat small. If you are trying to cut back on sugar you can look at the sugar-free version. This is all very dependent on YOU, you want to find what works best for YOU.

3. Turkey -- if you like turkey you could buy a turkey breast and cook that up, or some lean turkey lunch meat. I don't eat meat myself so I don't know what else to recommend in regards to turkey.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-17-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #3  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I like to pick up loafs of bread that are whole grain, no just whole wheat, and which have the wholegrain.org symbol on the package so that I know I'm getting the real deal.

Currently, I've been buying Orowheat, and I like how it tastes just fine.

Whenever I would get a hankering for jello, I would pick up the sugar-free Jello cups. They are usually found in or near the same refrigerated aisle as pudding, milk, and butter. I think they are about 60 calories per cup. Maybe less. I don't remember.

Turkey: that's up to you. If you need some for sandwiches, any of the other brands are great because they are all very lean and have pretty much the same calories. Just watch out for the sodium if you are concerned with it.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

1. The carb watchers tortillas are good, if you want to watch carbs. Or maybe to increase your weight loss only have one slice of ww bread on sandwiches? They make low calorie bread but I can't find it here locally in my town.

2. I don't know about jello but maybe you can acquire the taste for Dannon LIght and Fit yogurt? It's low calorie, some are low carb too.

3. Turkey - buy some and cook it up in bunches, save some for later. Also buy lots of chicken breasts, do the same.

Best wishes
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #5  
Miss Thickness

thanks everyone because me and publix supermarket have been in battle and i have no idea what to buy. yesterday i had 1 fiber bar , instant oatmael,
two vitamin waters, tuna with a half a tlbsos mayo, four pieces of honey dew and two salads one with a piece of chicken breast and the other with four shrimps top with the south beach living italian dressing. and had the same for today and so i need to swicth it up before it get old to me.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks View Post
.........Currently, I've been buying Orowheat, and I like how it tastes just fine. .
CILCIA Nothing better than Orowheat whole wheat bread! I do know it changes brand names as it goes "east'...not sure to what.

I get my turkey from the deli each week ....pepper, maple or herb, and put it on my orowheat bread for lunches.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

For your wheat bread, make sure you read the label. The ingredients should have whole grain as the first ingredient, not enriched wheat flour. Look for bread that has multiple grams of fiber per serving.
You are probably going to have to become a label reader, to make sure you are getting what you need from your food.

I am not a big jello eater, so not sure about advice there. You can have the regular kind, if you are counting calories - just count them into your day. Or use sugar free. I think that has 10 calories per serving - so don't go overboard with it.

With the turkey - most brands are lower in fat. When I buy turkey, I try to get the kind with the lowest sodium content. Lunch meats are usually high in sodium. You might be better off buying raw turkey breast, cooking it up and portioning it out for your week. Usually cheaper that way, too
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

cicilia -- As you might be able to tell, a lot of what's good for us and what we can have really depends on our plan.

I'm a calorie counter. Technically, I can eat anything. Though, I've tried to learn a lot about nutrition and over time picked foods that I liked and provided me with a balanced diet. I try to eat lots of fruit and veg, and whole grains, and lean proteins and get enough calcium. And some days all that is overwhelming! I do eat treats and snacks, especially now that I am maintaining.

But, if I were doing phase 1 of South Beach, carbs would be really limited and whole grain bread might be out.

So, it can be hard for us to give you an answer about what is good or what you should eat, and thus, you might see a lot of varying opinions (such as what kinds of bread we eat!). I personally buy a nine grain bread from Great Harvest, freeze most of the loaf and only have one slice when I make a sandwich. So I would say that whole wheat bread could be good, but it isn't my favorite.

Anyway, all this to say, I hope you're getting some of the answers you're looking for.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #9  
Miss Thickness

Ok i think the lunch meat is out with the high blood and all .
it will have me sick with headaches for at least a week.
all of you guys are saying high in sodium
Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think you might enjoy a book called SuperFoods RX by Steven Pratt.

He lists 12 or 14 foods that are wonderful for you and cover all the food groups.

There's lots to read about it in these threads.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #11  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

As has been pointed out opinions vary, especially if you're on some sort of plan, but in my opinion your body needs carbs, it was designed to use carbs as its primary energy source, and your brain certainly needs carbs too, so I would say that wholegrain bread is a good option.

I think the only problem with your food yesterday was the half tableson of Mayo. Mayo is primarily oil, it is rammed with calories. Try looking for alternatives to combine with your tuna. I am happy with plain ordinary vinegar but you may prefer something different.
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #12  
Miss Thickness

I've been very afraid to weight myself and today i stop by publix to pick up a few things and the husband said the **** with it do it. and i did 2 pounds you guys! i let go the soda I've been having headaches but i know it for the best.
and my husband being drilling me like crazy jogging and walking the track on my days off and in between jobs sometimes 12 am last night 2 am you guys i feel great

Last edited by ciliciaclark; 06-18-2008 at 01:41 PM.