Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default I made the best salad!

After months of BBQ chicken salad, I was finally ready for something new!

Last night, I had a "salad assembly line" in my kitchen and made 5 yummy salads for the week.

My new Asian Chicken Salad has (divided into 5 salads):

spinach (1 big bag)
Broccoli slaw (1 bag)
shredded carrot (about 1/4 of a bag)
Small can of sliced water chestnuts
1 small package grape tomatoes (really tiny and sweet)
1 yellow pepper - diced
red onion (a little sprinkled on each salad)
Edamame
Can of mandarin oranges
Bag of Trader Joe's frozen "just Chicken" divided 5 ways (I take a serving to work every day in a separate container so I can heat it in the microwave, I hate cold chicken)
Trader Joe's Peanut dressing (2 tbs per salad), I take the bottle to work and leave it in the frig so I can add the dressing at the last minute, hate limp salad
Small sprinkle of cashews (very small)
Salad wonton toppers (just a few to give it some crisp), I keep them in my desk drawer so I can add them at hte last minute so they are super crunchy

It is an awesome salad!

It is amazing!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #2  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

sounds delish. I hate eating salads that I make myself because I never get creative with them and they're always so boring. Maybe I'll try this one.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I've always found that it's hard to have a lot of creative items on hand for ONE salad (like what would I do with the rest of the canned mandarin oranges or the rest of the water chestnuts?). Making a lot of salads at once lets me buy more cool stuff without worrying about the leftover going bad before I get a chance to eat it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

That is a wonderful sounding salad. I have an Asian Salad that is similar. I LOVE it. The mandarin oranges just *make* the salad, such a fresh burst in your mouth. I also use sliced almonds in mine. And Asian salads are great because i dont miss the cheese and other fattening stuff that i LOAD too much of in an American salad sometimes. Dont you LOVE those crunchy noodles...geeze, i got some that were ginger flavored the other day. Yumolicious.

I have a 9 year old daughter who is happy to take care of any left over mandarin oranges...she LOVES fruit as a snack.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Sounds wonderful! Is the TJ's peanut dressing a salad dressing, or something else?

I like the idea of making five at once. I always make my salads for the day at the same time and I prepare my lettuce and spinach for salads, but I never thought of completing all the salads at once. Hello???
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #6  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Duh, I never thought of making several salads at once! I can save money too by buying the bulk sized greens. I'm going to have to try this for work next week!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Sounds delish!!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

DOES sound yummy.

I make a similar salad. For greens, I've been using a combo of romaine hearts, mesclun mix, & baby spinach. I use the mandarin oranges & some shredded carrots. I also love to put in cubed mango. Very little of it gives the salad a strong flavor. Some sliced strawberries are fabulous too. A handful of raisins and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts. I too am loving the colored peppers. Yellow and orange are my favs right now. I just put on a splash of balsamic vinegar to dress it. Or I make my own dressing using a little honey dijon mustard, lemon juice, some water and sometimes some fresh garlic.

GREAT salad. The whole family LOVES it. I serve it for company as well. It gets raves. RAVES!!!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-18-2008 at 07:48 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I've always found that it's hard to have a lot of creative items on hand for ONE salad (like what would I do with the rest of the canned mandarin oranges or the rest of the water chestnuts?). Making a lot of salads at once lets me buy more cool stuff without worrying about the leftover going bad before I get a chance to eat it.
I get my oranges in the 1/2 cup snack packs. At least in the winter - I eat enough salads in the summer to get a can and finish it before it gets scary . I've been finding no sugar added ones, lately.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote