South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Day 2 of Phase 1 and I've already cheated... what do I do?

I've been feeling weak, and actually a bit nauseous. My bf keeps trying to make me eat something with sugar, telling me that the SBD can't possibly be good for me if I'm feeling sick. I tried to explain to him about the diet but he didn't want to hear it. Instead he tried to give me a little debbie's brownie.

No, I didn't eat the brownie.

But I made tuna salad tonight (tuna, mayo and a bit of reduced fat sour cream because I didn't have a lot of mayo left, it made it really creamy, chopped dill pickle, chopped celery, onion, hardboiled egg, chopped green pepper, garlic & onion powder, mrs dash, soul seasoning) ... and I ate it plain on a plate, while he had his on bread.

I started feeling sick and nauseous so I got another plateful... and then that's when I caved. I ate exactly 9 whole grain Wheat Thins with my tuna. I figured better it be whole grain crackers than a brownie, or white bread.

Now what should I do? Have I ruined everything, should I just start over and do a diet where I don't have to restrict stuff like that for 2 weeks? What should I do, guys?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #2  
Healthy mommy

Plus, last night after I ate the stuffed bell peppers... which were delicious... I just felt a tad bit nauseated and really weak and fatigued. I have heard others complaining of this as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

if it makes you feel nauseous you should consume a little bit of carbs...it is best for everything..your body needs at least a little.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/191.6/135

Height: 5'6"

You might try staying in phase I (I wouldn't call it starting over, just keep going) and see if your body gets used to the major change in diet and see if you lose the nausea in another day or so.

Or you might try going straight into phase II with the very reduced carbs, seeing how you do and then in a couple weeks see if you want to go back to phase I. Maybe that will help you learn to cut them down without getting ill?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #5  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Sounds like you have the "South Beach flu". Everyone I know who's done south beach says it will pass in a day or two.

I think you should try again tomorrow. If you're still feeling bad after a few days then maybe you should try going to phase 2 then going back to phase one, like someone else suggested.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/238/150

Height: 5'4"

It sounds like you aren't eating enough veggies and esp the good carbs allowed on phase 1 (likes beans). It's really important to make sure you're getting those in. Also, make sure you're getting your recommended dairy every day.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

dairy and beans are important as is staying hydrated.

feeling nausea after eating usually occurs for me if I eat too much....
Old 06-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Please post an exact menu with quantities and we'll take a look at it.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Melanie, I know it might be hard for your boyfriend to understand. It doesn't seem like something that "makes" you sick would be good for you. The truth is, it's not SBD that's making you sick. It's basically the sugar equivalent of the sickness (e.g. Delirium Tremens) that alcoholics get when they stop drinking and go through detox. The sugar is actually what made you sick...you had too much of it in your system for so long that your body expects those high levels. When you don't get them, you feel really sick and wobbly. Your body demands more sugar to get you back to where it's used to being (even though that's terribly unhealthy).

It takes 3-5 days for the feelings to go away. If you stick with SBD and do not eat sugar again, you'll never feel those feelings again. Of course, most of us make the choice every now and again to eat something that might bring those feelings (and the cravings) back, so we do P1 again until they are gone.

Little Debbies are full of all the things that will make you sicker...tons of simple sugars. So avoid those things at all costs...good for you!

Good for you on trying to make a good choice with the Wheat Thins. Just so you know, they have whole grain in them, but they are mostly made with white flour and are therefore not okay on the diet. When you're in Phase 2, try Reduced Fat Triscuits instead, okay?

In the meantime, here are some ways to make the "SBD Flu/Sugar Detox" days easier:
  • Eat good carbs from the P1 "Foods to Enjoy" list: tomatoes, bell peppers, beans, dairy every day--at least one serving of each.
  • Drink lots of water.
  • Be easy on yourself...unless you usually exercise, avoid it until P2. Sleep, take naps, and rest.
  • Think about this: the worse you feel, the worse your sugar addiction was. Be glad you're getting rid of it!

Good luck! Just start counting your 2 weeks from the first clean day after the crackers incident.

Last edited by beachgal; 06-17-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

You've had great advice from the chicks. No, you haven't ruined everything, the first day of Ph1 I ate a tootsie roll before bed. The second day was perfect.

One thing I would suggest, if you can get things like Little Debbie Brownies out of the house, it will make sticking to plan easier for you. I'm guessing they are there for the BF or others in the family. Ask them to understand and support what you are doing and to not keep that stuff in the house for a while. I can usually have that stuff around some now and not be bothered, but I never know when a day is going to hit when I am stressed, tired, PMSing or whatever and if there is something in the cabinet it is so very hard to resist. So it's easier to have a no-junk policy.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #11  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
if it makes you feel nauseous you should consume a little bit of carbs...it is best for everything..your body needs at least a little.

Quote:
You might try staying in phase I (I wouldn't call it starting over, just keep going) and see if your body gets used to the major change in diet and see if you lose the nausea in another day or so.

Or you might try going straight into phase II with the very reduced carbs, seeing how you do and then in a couple weeks see if you want to go back to phase I. Maybe that will help you learn to cut them down without getting ill?

That is a good plan which I'll do should I falter again. Today, Day 3, so far so good, although I know I haven't eaten enough. I drank some fat free milk, trying to feel better.

Quote:
Sounds like you have the "South Beach flu". Everyone I know who's done south beach says it will pass in a day or two.

I think you should try again tomorrow. If you're still feeling bad after a few days then maybe you should try going to phase 2 then going back to phase one, like someone else suggested.

Good luck!

Quote:
It sounds like you aren't eating enough veggies and esp the good carbs allowed on phase 1 (likes beans). It's really important to make sure you're getting those in. Also, make sure you're getting your recommended dairy every day.

Good luck!
I hope the fat free milk helps. I definitely agree with calling it the SBD flu, I have no energy. Tried to drink some coffee and it just made me feel sicker. I have a dirty house to clean and don't have the energy.

Quote:
dairy and beans are important as is staying hydrated.

feeling nausea after eating usually occurs for me if I eat too much....
I didn't eat too much, I am not sure if I'm eating enough. I think it is the sbd flu thing they're talking about.

Quote:
Melanie, I know it might be hard for your boyfriend to understand. It doesn't seem like something that "makes" you sick would be good for you. The truth is, it's not SBD that's making you sick. It's basically the sugar equivalent of the sickness (e.g. Delirium Tremens) that alcoholics get when they stop drinking and go through detox. The sugar is actually what made you sick...you had too much of it in your system for so long that your body expects those high levels. When you don't get them, you feel really sick and wobbly. Your body demands more sugar to get you back to where it's used to being (even though that's terribly unhealthy).

It takes 3-5 days for the feelings to go away. If you stick with SBD and do not eat sugar again, you'll never feel those feelings again. Of course, most of us make the choice every now and again to eat something that might bring those feelings (and the cravings) back, so we do P1 again until they are gone.

Little Debbies are full of all the things that will make you sicker...tons of simple sugars. So avoid those things at all costs...good for you!

Good for you on trying to make a good choice with the Wheat Thins. Just so you know, they have whole grain in them, but they are mostly made with white flour and are therefore not okay on the diet. When you're in Phase 2, try Reduced Fat Triscuits instead, okay?

In the meantime, here are some ways to make the "SBD Flu/Sugar Detox" days easier:

* Eat good carbs from the P1 "Foods to Enjoy" list: tomatoes, bell peppers, beans, dairy every day--at least one serving of each.
* Drink lots of water.
* Be easy on yourself...unless you usually exercise, avoid it until P2. Sleep, take naps, and rest.
* Think about this: the worse you feel, the worse your sugar addiction was. Be glad you're getting rid of it!

Good luck! Just start counting your 2 weeks from the first clean day after the crackers incident.
Thanks for the advice, it actually makes a lot of sense. I'm used to a whole lot of bad carbs, sugary crap and white breads and lots of pastas, and such. That makes up a lot of my diet. Also before the diet, we were on a tight budget and I was eating a WHOLE lot of ramen noodles. (Nothing could be worse for the human body, that stuff is glue paste basically!)

I love triscuits, more than wheat thins, so I can't wait to eat them. Triscuits and hummus, yum...

About to go eat a whole chopped tomato dipped in hummus and a big glass of fat free milk.

Quote:
You've had great advice from the chicks. No, you haven't ruined everything, the first day of Ph1 I ate a tootsie roll before bed. The second day was perfect.

One thing I would suggest, if you can get things like Little Debbie Brownies out of the house, it will make sticking to plan easier for you. I'm guessing they are there for the BF or others in the family. Ask them to understand and support what you are doing and to not keep that stuff in the house for a while. I can usually have that stuff around some now and not be bothered, but I never know when a day is going to hit when I am stressed, tired, PMSing or whatever and if there is something in the cabinet it is so very hard to resist. So it's easier to have a no-junk policy.
I really wish I could get stuff like that out of the house, but my bf thrives on it. He will not cave to any demand I could make about keeping such stuff out of the house. Right now we've got little deb brownies, lil deb boston creme rolls, twix cookie bars... but I haven't touched them. Thankfully. Whenever I get a snack attack I try to eat a lot of hummus. Wish I could get the junk out of the house.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #12  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Please post an exact menu with quantities and we'll take a look at it.
Thanks!

Day one breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with shredded 2% milk cheddar, 3 cut up celery sticks with hummus

Day one lunch: oven roasted deli turkey roll ups with cream cheese and pickle

Snacks: cup fat free milk

Day one dinner: stuffed bell peppers with reduced fat sour cream & salsa

side dish of fat free refried beans & salsa & cilantro

lettuce salad with green peppers & onions & reduced fat paul newman italian dressing

Day 2 breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs

Snacks: pickles

Lunch: Salad with lettuce, green peppers, onions, shredded 2% milk cheddar, 2 halved hardboiled eggs and low fat italian dressing

Dinner: plate of tuna salad made with a bit of mayo, reduced fat sour cream, chopped celery, onion, green peppers, pickle, onion and garlic powders, mrs dash, soul seasoning, bit of mustard

Then I ate another small plate of tuna salad, then caved and ate 9 parmesan basil wheat thins.

Day 3: (I've hardly eaten today, still don't feel good, and feel fatigued)

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs, 3 celery sticks with a lot of roasted garlic hummus

Snack: one whole tomato cut into wedges with a lot of roasted garlic hummus

Dinner: leftover stuffed pepper with salsa and sour cream

I've drank a lot of fat free milk today, probably way over the limit, but I haven't had a lot of food today.

I'm gonna eat something else before I go to bed, probably a turkey roll up or two.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 06-17-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #13  
Healthy mommy

Before I went to bed, I ate 2 turkey roll ups and another glass of FF milk:

(2 slices deli turkey spread with reduced fat cream cheese and wrapped around a pickle, wrapped with lettuce)
Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Day one breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with shredded 2% milk cheddar, 3 cut up celery sticks with hummus
I'd cut back on the protein (2 eggs is enough) and remember 2 tablespoons of hummus is a serving

did you have an AM snack?

Quote:
Day one lunch: oven roasted deli turkey roll ups with cream cheese and pickle
hmmm pickles are salty... some have sugar in them, where are your 2 cups of lunch veggies? rf cream cheese is a 2 tablespoon per day serving....

Quote:
Snacks: cup fat free milk
milk is good... maybe add some veggies like grape tomatoes or pepper strips

Quote:
Day one dinner: stuffed bell peppers with reduced fat sour cream & salsa side dish of fat free refried beans & salsa & cilantro
lettuce salad with green peppers & onions & reduced fat paul newman italian dressing
not sure the reduced fat is a good choice as they often use HFCS or sugar in place of the fat.

Quote:
Day 2 breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs

Snacks: pickles
way short on veggies here

Quote:
Lunch: Salad with lettuce, green peppers, onions, shredded 2% milk cheddar, 2 halved hardboiled eggs and low fat italian dressing
again not sure the dressing is a good choice.. full fat dressings are preferred and remember they are limited to 2 tablespoons per serving

Quote:
Dinner: plate of tuna salad made with a bit of mayo, reduced fat sour cream, chopped celery, onion, green peppers, pickle, onion and garlic powders, mrs dash, soul seasoning, bit of mustard
ok....

Quote:
Then I ate another small plate of tuna salad, then caved and ate 9 parmesan basil wheat thins.
were you hungry or munchy for those crunchy things? i loved roasted chickpeas in phase 1 to help with the need for salty crunchy things

Quote:
Day 3: (I've hardly eaten today, still don't feel good, and feel fatigued)

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs, 3 celery sticks with a lot of roasted garlic hummus
define a lot.... more than 1/4 cup is probably too much

Quote:
Snack: one whole tomato cut into wedges with a lot of roasted garlic hummus
ok but a LOT of hummus twice a day is a LOT of calories... just saying.

Quote:
Dinner: leftover stuffed pepper with salsa and sour cream
probably too light on veggies...
Quote:
I've drank a lot of fat free milk today, probably way over the limit, but I haven't had a lot of food today.
2 cups of milk per day (and you can go up to 3 cups a day in phase 2 and 3

Quote:
I'm gonna eat something else before I go to bed, probably a turkey roll up or two.
depending on what you roll it with sounds like a good choice

to me I see too much hummus, probably too much sour cream and cream cheese, probably too many pickles (salt is a big thing)..... and not enough veggies...
Old 06-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #15  
Healthy mommy

How much hummus am I allowed to have a day?

I only ate probably less than a tablespoon of the cream cheese though. Probably a teaspoon in a day.

So full fat dressings are okay? Cool, then I can have 2 tablespoons of full fat ranch because I was just complaining in the phase one chat about how I wanted full fat ranch.. (wait... does it have sugar in it??)

So basically, I had too much sourcreams, cream cheese, hummus, milk, pickles, and not enough veggies.

I'm gonna keep that in mind when I go to the store later. Where can I find roasted chickpeas? I think I've seen them in a can but I'm not sure. Or I'm imagining it. I've seen boiled peanuts in a can. Kinda interested in trying them for some reason.

I never had an AM snack 'cause I've been suffering from a lot of anxiety attacks at night lately which equal insomnia for me. So I get up at around 1pm and then start from there.
Closed Thread