Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/252/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Here I am.

Hello !

My name is Leslie - I have roughly a hundred pounds to lose. I don't know how I got here, but I'm ready to get out.
This is my second serious diet attempt. I started on Wednesday - a low-carb diet. And I hate it. I'm having a hard time giving up my carbs. I am eating more fruits and veggies (especially fruits) and more whole grains and fiber. I was exercising but my energy is zapped at the moment (no carbs) - I guess my body is supposed to adjust.

I'm not here just to whine though! I just wanted to give a background. I really need to do this. I want to lose the weight but it's also about being healthy. I think that's what will make the difference - or has been so far.

I hope I can find support here - as well as help support others on their journey.
Sinister Spackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #2  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Leslie! There is lots of support here for you. You might want to check out the low carb threads as well! Best of luck to you.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey Leslie - welcome to 3FC.

You know, if you really hate your program, change it! To lose the weight and keep it off, you must do a program that you are comfortable following for the rest of your life. Any 'diet' will help you shed pounds, but it doesn't do any good if you can't stick with it.

You have the time to test other plans to find one that you really love and can stick to.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

WELCOME!!!

I agree with Lori! Why are you on a plan you hate?

Weight loss is hard, but I think maintenance is harder -- it's for life! I can't imagine being on a plan I don't like -- it's hard enough with a plan I DO like!

The deck is stacked against our success, so I think we need to do everything we can to better the odds.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I too am new and looking to lose almost 100 lbs. I hope we can help each other!!
fancy daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #6  

Welcome Leslie! You may want to change your plan and try something that will be easier for you to stick to! Look around and try something else!
crazycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm in total agreement with the others.

It's vital to find a plan that we can live with so that we can enjoy it and STICK with it, thus allowing us to lose the weight and then maintain that loss.

Therefore I kinda made up my own plan. It includes calorie counting (for accountability and forced portion control), low fat proteins and tons and tons of veggies & some fruits - to keep me full and give me the most calories and volume for my allotment.

When you find foods that you love, and yes it does take some time and experimentation, it's MUCH easier to stay on plan.

There's something out there for you. No need to suffer.

Take a look around 3FC. There's lots of vaulable info. Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #8  
Manda

S/C/G: 304.5/165/149

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to 3FC! I agree that you should find a plan that you don't hate. It will be easier to stick with. Good luck!
ahill1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi & Welcome!

I agree with the other folks. Find a program that you like and can live with. There are so many.

I am so glad you posted. There are many great folks here willing to share and give support.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

My advice would be a little different. If you are eating fruit and whole grains, then you are not really doing low-carb, but you are doing healthy carbs. If that's the case, then you will probably have a few days of "detox" at first while your body is withdrawing from sugars, refined starches, etc. I would give it a week or so and see if you adjust. I went through something similar with South Beach, I felt bad for a few days, then I started to feel great and my energy level went through the roof. Don't worry about the exercise for a few days, concentrate on eating clean, adjusting, and getting through your detox, then you will be able to add back your exercise. If you still hate the plan in a week or so, then change it up, but I'd give it a chance to work first.

PS, if you are going through the detox, eating beans and lowfat dairy can really help you feel better. Include these every day.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 06-17-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/252/145

Thanks so much for all the responses and welcomes

I'm seeing a dietitian on Monday to talk about a good diet for me. I am for sure out of energy (it's been a week today) and that definitely is a bummer. In the meantime though I'm sticking to my current diet plan - even if I don't like it. It just might take some getting used to - as suggested. I just know I need something
Sinister Spackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #12  

Welcome!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3FC, Leslie! This is a great place to be!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #14  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Lots of good tips. Wishing you great success in whatever plan you choose for your lifestyle change.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote