Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #1  

Default binge eating disorder

Hi,

I just recently think I've got binge eating disorder and this is in part why I'm overweight. I've got pretty much all the criteria. I feel like I'm always hungry and when I start eating something, then that's going to be another thing right after and then another thing, I just never seem to be full and it's like some sort of compulsive disorder. And then, after eating all those calories-rich food, I'll just feel really dirty and feel even more bad about myself.

I just don't know what to do about it. I'm 21 btw.
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You might want to talk to someone who specializes in that sort of therapy!

You might also want to check out our Chicks in Control forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64

for other people dealing with similar issues!

Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Kaytlin, I used to binge like that. I would start eating something and would seem to be unable to stop, no off switch.

I can only describe my own experience, but it turns out I have an odd reaction to white carbs, sugar and packaged baked goods. Foods like crackers, chips, pretzels, cookies, scones, breakfast cereal, candy set me off. I eat a serving, and then want another serving and then another serving. If I eat an Oreo I want to be stuffing a SECOND oreo in my mouth before the first one is gone and then a third oreo, etc.

It's a long story, but I ended up giving up most white flour products and sugar in July 2004, the change was amazing. The binging STOPPED. I still occasionally eat something I didn't plan (or too much of something I did plan), but it's not the out of control eating that used to happen.

I still don't eat many white flour products, but I have been able to add the occasional sugary treat item back in to my life. I just have to plan and control it - which means no ice cream, cold cereal, crackers, pretzels or cookies in the house. I can split a dessert in a restaurant, buy a single scoop of ice cream (or really nice gelato if I'm going to be spending that kind of calories) but it has to be FINITE. No big packages, no big tubs, no ability to keep eating, limited single servings (not servings I am in charge of!)

Good luck, I feel pretty food from food addiction these days, it's amazing to kind of feel what a "normal" person must feel.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/145/120

Height: 5'5"

I also have serious issues with binging. I'll go grocery shopping and end up eating half my groceries that night. It's like there's some subconscious thing telling me that all the food will ruin or I won't be able to have it any more unless I do. Overeating when there's a lot of food is just too irresistible.

I've started to curb it by keeping the food I have in the house to a minimum, NO junk food, and buying only the things at the grocery that I need an won't binge on (milk, veggies, and fruit -- though I do binge on that, too, it just ends up making me sick to my intestines -- ugh).
Rachellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #5  

Banning junk food didn't help me get over my BED (originally anorexic, I went to the other end of the scale eventually, although I havn't been overweight since I was 13 I have really struggled with BED stuff) because it put it in a special *naughty* category that just made me want to binge more.

I havn't binged at all in the past 7 weeks which is AMAZING because I havn't been so long without bingeing for over a year. Everyone is different, but here's what worked for me:

1. Banning nothing. I forgot for the time being all nutritional knowledge, figuring the priority was to quit the destructive bingeing, and if I tried not to eat something, I just got cravings.

2. A food diary. A NON judgemental one, just to see what I was eating. When I saw it in black and white, so to speak, I automatically started to slow down, to make better choices..as in "ahh I feel a bit vaguely ick today...ahhh I ate X Y Z which was OK, not morally wrong and no problem, but maybe a better choice for dinner today would include more vegetables?". I think the trick is not to treat yourself like an enemy, saying "you're too fat/don't eat that/god, you're useless" but just..."you are a FINE person, lets help you out here..you'll get it". Gentle gentle. You have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yeh it sounds hard and it is, but it's very much worth it.

3. Taking it a day at a time. Yesterday was dodgy? Forget about it, and focus on today. Don't look too far ahead either, you'll feel pressured.

4. I'd actually recommend not trying to actively lose weight until you have the bingeing under at least reasonable control, because weightloss/dieting DOES entail some kind of deprivation for it to work, and unless you're at a very solid stage with your BED recovery it'll just knock you down and take you many a step backwards. Sucks, but I've learnt that the hard way..for every diet/feeling of deprivation, with a COE/BED sufferer, there WILL be binges. I guarantee it!

5. Enlist positive support if at all possible, and give them updates. My boyfriend bought me 12 white roses <3 when I hit the 30 day mark, and that was amazing! If you don't have anything external, reward yourself! I certainly am planning to at the 100 day mark!

6. Don't weigh yourself often. Like, once a fortnight. I know, very hard..I got boyfriend to hide the scales! But when I did weigh myself recently, I was EXACTLY the same weight as 2 weeks before...you can trust yourself to maintain, honestly.

It's scary as heck but it is such a lovely amazing gift to give to yourself. Make a list of why you want to live a happier bingefree life, review it often. Don't worry about what you eat, for now - but why and when, and how different choices make you feel.

Finally (god I'm sorry if I've come across as rambly or up myself, I just want to share this because I've made PROGRESS! recently and if it can help anyone else I'd be ecstatic, seriously) make sure you are focussing on many other things in your life, take the pressure off weight/your body (never thought I'd say that! but its sound advice) for a while and ... things happen.

Love
Emily
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote