View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
mandalinn82
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The fiber/calories thing varies by country, and even by product.

In the US, most manufacturers remove fiber from their calorie counts, since it is legal to do so. So a cereal like Fiber1, for example, is listed as 60 calories per serving in the United States. Even though there are 24 total grams of carbohydrate at 4 calories a gram, 14 grams of those are fiber, meaning that 56 calories of carbohydrate are fiber and therefore undigestable.

In Canada, Fiber1 cereal is 110 calories for the same serving and product...in Canada, the fiber calories cannot be deducted, even though they are indigestible.

So if you're in Canada, or another foreign country, you might be able to deduct fiber calories...in the US, they are usually (but not always) deducted for you already.

You can figure out if fiber calories have been deducted as follows:

Total Carbohydrate Grams (including fiber) on Label x 4
plus
Total Protein Grams on Label x 4
plus
Total Fat Grams on Label x 9
plus
Total Alcohol Grams on Label x 7

If that total equals the calories on the package, and there are fiber grams listed, the fiber has NOT been deduced.

If the total is MORE than the calories listed on the package, the difference is probably the carb calories from the fiber having been removed.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote