General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #1  

Default Fawn in my yard!

I was just out with my dogs and they found a fawn in the grass by the fence! The dogs were really good; they just wanted to sniff it. I don't know why the mama put the baby there. We have tons of places on our property that would have been a better place to hide a fawn.

Does anyone know if the doe will move the fawn? I always wished I'd find a baby on the property, but now that it's happened, I'm not so sure. I'll just worry about it.

It's SO cute!!!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Pics! Pics!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 262/253/155

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Pics! Pics!
Ditto!
rasyealn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #4  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Could it be an orphan?
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #5  

I'll try to post some pictures later. I took a couple already, but they didn't turn out very good.

I was all over google after I found it and the websites say that the does will place the babies in a hiding place and leave until it gets dark. They do this so that they don't attract predators. And the babies don't move! Apparently they don't have a scent, but if they're found they pretty much stay completely still and hopefully the predators move on. Most of the sites said that the doe will come after dark and feed the fawn and probably move it.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Yes..more than likely if the doe is still alive...she is out getting food and will return for the fawn. If she doesn't return than you should probably contact either DNR (depart of natural resources), or a rescue group. But i'd give in until tomorrow morning.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

oh! poor baby. i hope she comes back! and i want to see a picture too!!
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #8  

We had one in our backyard last year -- as soon as the mother heard us around the baby, she came and got it -- but it was getting dark. Mommy rarely goes too far. Definitely leave it alone -- I would call animal control in the morning and ask them what to do -- poor baby

Last edited by shelby897; 06-11-2008 at 09:20 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #9  

Well, my dog rooted it out from it's spot. I turned my back for a second and the dog (who up until then had been very good) must have nuzzled it to the point that the baby got up and made a little noise. I grabbed the dog and took him back to the house. By the time I got back down to the fawn it was gone. It hadn't been hurt; just scared. So I don't know if it just hid somewhere else or if mom came over the fence and found a new place for it. I feel just awful that my dog scared it. It's starting to get dark, so I imagine the doe will show up and hopefully be able to find it.

I love the wildlife around my house, but I get too emotionally involved. I know I won't sleep well tonight because I'll be worrying about it.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Thats so cute!! I hope the mommy is ok!

And yes you must post some pictures!!
Razz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

The mom probably came and got the baby when it moved....they usually don't go too far away from the fawns. If her mother isn't around anymore you'd hear the fawn.

I'm a wildlife rehabilitator and I care for orphans and/or injured animals...then return them to the wild if they don't have injures that would handicap them.

If you find any baby the best thing would to leave it alone....if it's a baby bird you can place it back in the nest or up in a tree near by. The only bird that can smell is a vulture so don't worry about the old wives tale about the bird killing the baby because of your scent

Give a call to your state's wildlife and fisheries to get a list of state lisc wildlife rehabbers for next time
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #12  

Thanks RomanceDiva; that is very handy information.

I saw the mama this morning across the road. I think she must have moved baby over there where there aren't any nosy dogs!

I do have to say that the baby wasn't very well hidden (when it was in my yard). It was in a patch of tall grass, but pretty easily seen. I thought does hid the fawns better.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #13  
Operator265

It's not always about hiding, but safety. Animals really are smart. Every year on the first day of hunting season, the deer move into town. They may not know the law, but they do realize that they don't hear gunfire within the city limits. So, they stroll up and down the green islands on the town's main drag.

Mama could realize that where houses are there aren't alot of predators and that would be a good place for the baby. In this case, she had you for a babysitter.