General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default Hairdressers out there?

I know there are more than one hairdressers on the boards. I was looking for a forum FOR hairdressers...to share industry questions/ideas/news, but the ones I found looked incredibly slow.

Anyhow...I'm wondering if any hairdressers out there suffer from dermatitis due to the chemicals we work with. I had TERRIBLE problems with this in the 80's and attributed it to the many perms we all did (we all had to have that BIG HAIR!!) and I eventually had to quit because of it. That was the only thing that gave me relief from it. So, now that I'm older, I decided to go back to hairstyling, but before I got too involved with customers, etc, I decided to start out at Master Cuts and this way if I had problems, I could just quit with no harm done. Well, the whole year I was there, I had not one outbreak. I attributed it to the newer perms not being quite so caustic and the fact that my skin is now about 15-20 years older and more ornery and tougher than it used to be.

So...I decide to open my own shop here in my village. Well, now that summer is here I'm massively busy... MY HANDS ARE IN HORRIBLE SHAPE AGAIN!! My husband...God bless his pea-pickin heart...he's only trying to help...is all, try lanolin or vitamin E or vaseline intensive care! Trust me when I tell you I've tried all of these things and none of them work. I don't have dry skin, I have a horrible rash. I went to the pharmacist and she said, "I dunno...try hydrocortizone" I've had exactly every single brand and strength of hydrocortizone on my hands and it only aggrevates it. It needs to be dried out...you know those little clear pimples you get and the swelling and oozing of the sores. I put up with it for over 10 years in the 80's/90's.

I really don't want to close up my shop. I love it so much. But I can't even cook with these sores on my fingers. You should try squeezing a lemon! I used to have these sores all the way up the inside of my forearms and covering every single finger from tip to palm. I couldn't even bend my fingers. I don't want to suffer with it again. Have any of you hairdressers had this problem and have you come across a fix for it?

I can't help but think it looks a lot like athlete's foot. Do you think an antifungal cream would help?

Last edited by techwife; 06-09-2008 at 02:42 PM.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

I would definitely try the anti-fungal cream. My husband had a weird rash on his chest, arms and was starting to creep up on his neck/face that did look a lot like athlete's foot until last year for a good 3 years and someone at his job recommended that and it cleared it right up! Sounds like you've tried everything else.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #3  

Thanks, bbb. About the only thing that helped me back then was to either run my hands under scalding hot tap water or stick my hands in a snowdrift. But boiling hot water only makes the problem worse in the long run (duh...boiling your hands can't be good, but relief is relief!!) and snowdrifts are hard to come by around here in JUNE! I have Tinactin that I use this time of year because I also have a tendency to ringworm spots in the hot weather and the Tinactin clears that up, so I hope it helps with the dermatitis.

I also used Predisone back in the day, but that is a dangerous drug to take and I really didn't like being on it...but it DID help the hands tremendously.

Anyone else have any suggestions for drying out weeping sores?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

You have had a tough few months TECH....(((hugs)))
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #5  

Yes, I've had a few tough months, but the Good Lord never gives me more than I can handle. Usually. BUT, last week I made over $600!!! I actually got to go grocery shopping and buy extra things like a new garlic press and some new shorts for my son and...NAIL POLISH!!...with my own money!! I feel so empowered!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Tech - My hands and feet get HORRIBLY itchy in the summer and I have little red spots (what you describe as "ringworm" spots) on them. After 4 years of enduring the itching and an allergist telling me it was hives (and me insisting it was not), a dermatologist finally diagnosed me with eczema. I now take certain measures (wearing sandals a lot, sleeping with my feet not under the covers, etc) in the summer to keep my hands and feet as sweat and heat free as possible. The dermatologist also prescribed a cream that helped immensely. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. You never know, this may be something that you can live with if you just have a little help!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #7  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Tech- I think I know what your talking about. Do a Google search on Dyshidrotic Eczema and look at the descriptions and pictures.

I have this problem...every year when it is HOT out and I am stressed!
if this is what you have, then they have a prescription cream for it.
Good luck! Let me know.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillTryin View Post
Tech- I think I know what your talking about. Do a Google search on Dyshidrotic Eczema and look at the descriptions and pictures.

I have this problem...every year when it is HOT out and I am stressed!
if this is what you have, then they have a prescription cream for it.
Good luck! Let me know.
I can't believe it!! Those pictures could be my hands!! I read that hot water is a temporary relief to the itching, but harmful long-term...its worse in warm weather (its 95 here today!!). I used to use Domeboro soaks and they helped a little. So many of the symptoms I have and some of the creams I used, but they only helped a little. But some of them I hadn't heard of and will look into.

Its so weird to see the pictures!! I used to have the flaky hands and everything. Even the feet!! One of the dermatologists I saw (I've seen many!!) asked me to take off my shoes and socks and I'm like, "But I do hair with my hands, not my feet." She made me anyhow and lo, and behold, I had the same problem on my feet!! She said that many times when a severe skin condition happens on your hands, it also happens on your feet indirectly and vice versa. Oddly enough, when I was a teenager I got a planters wart and I refused treatment on it until after summer (I didn't want it to interfere with my swimming at the beach time!!) and that sucker got so big by fall, one appeared on the palm of my hand! The podiatrist said that it will fall off on its own as the one on my foot got smaller and it did! Weird, huh?

Anyhow...I got a small amount of relief out of the Tinactin. It'll have to do until I get health insurance in about a month. That and I think I'll try the Domeboro.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #9  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Oh my WORD! I have this TOO! I had -no- idea what it was. I get it for a few weeks out of the summers for the past three years or so. It seemed so rare that I assumed it was an allergic reaction.

I got a cream from my doctor (the tube doesn't even say what it is, really, and I already threw out the box) and it went away within 48 hours for me. I think it might be a steroid cream based on some of the stuff on the tube..

But I can completely relate to how much it ITCHES and then BURNS! Oh, I was miserable.

Bless your heart for putting up with it so long!!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #10  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I am glad I could help you both! I have had this since I was a teenager.

Your right it is a steriod cream and usually helps within2-3 days. I would suggest getting yourself a good pair or gloves for when your perming or coloring your clients hair though....that may help.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #11  

I'm not sure if it will help, Tech, but when my boyrfriend had shingles really bad a few months ago, he tried all the ointments his doctor suggested, both prescription and over-the-counter, and they just didn't work. Then he tried Aveeno Anti-Itch Cream with Colloidal Oatmeal and it was the only thing that stopped the pain and itching and helped him heal.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Keep us posted.
Sweet Sissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #12  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

It does sound like hives. could you be allergic to it?

That's what happened to me when I used Lavender lotion.... I couldn't figure out why it kept happening. I went to the doctor and he asked me if I was using any kind of new product. It dawned on me that I had been using the lavender... and he said stop.

(Silly I know, But I didn't know at the time I was allergic). I stopped and the hives stopped... I now avoid lavender products at all costs.

The scent of lavender doesn't bother me.

When my stylist does hair (perms/relaxants or coloring) she always uses gloves.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 06-10-2008 at 08:43 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I get hives and have had such a bad allergic reaction a couple of times that it caused a trip to ER. My doctor recommends that as soon as I notice it coming on, take two Benadryl and it stops it. You can buy Benadryl over the counter and it is cheap.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #14  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Hives don't normally have that "ringoworm" look that Tech was describing. My eczema rash also does not get raised like hives do, although I've heard that for some people theirs does.

Also, if you are prone to really sever allergic reactions, you should ask your doctor for an Epi-Pen. It works faster than Benadryl. I've always been told by doctors though that if I need to take the Epi-Pen, I should basically be taking it to stabilize myself until I get to the ER (thats actually happened way more times than what I would prefer!).

Last edited by modkittn; 06-10-2008 at 09:42 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have an Epi Pen but thanks to benadryl haven't had to use it. Have to take it immediately as soon as symptoms start, though. Doctor also told me it is difficult to find the cause, best thing is to know what to do when it happens.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote