Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Pound to Dress Size Ratio?

I've lost nearly 20 pounds so far, and gone from an 18 to a 14. So, by that logic, I would assume that I lose a dress size every 5 pounds or so. Which seems reasonable (especially given shows like The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp where they set a goal of two dress sizes down). The thing is that that would mean that at 180, I would be in a size 10. Only, the last time I was able to squeeze into a 10 was when I weighed about 165.

Just FWIW, I'm measuring these "sizes" by the same company and the same item of clothing (Old Navy Jeans), so I know that a 14 at ON would be different from one at Guess? or something.

The reason I ask is because I want to lose about 20 pounds between now and the end of August, and I'd like to fit into a size 10 dress from Banana Republic (which uses the same measurement chart as Old Navy, since they're owned by the same company).

Have other people found the 5 pound = 1 size who are around my height?

The other thing is this: I finally have a really, really accurate scale, and the one I used in the past was a flimsy 10-dollar one. I just don't know how far off they were. So obviously if I thought I was 165 and I was really 175, then this might still work.

But I'm mostly asking what other people have found in terms of dress size conversion with their weights.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I've lost 22 lbs since my original weight a year ago, and all of my clothes from then still fit. I can fit in to some smaller ones now, and the old ones are a little bit looser, but no dramatic change in clothes, really.

It depends entirely on your body shape and how your body stores it's fat.

Good luck, though.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #3  
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

Clothing sizes are all dependent on how and where your body stores fat. I lost nearly 30 pounds since March, and I went from a 22W to a 20W in Lane Bryant jeans. I did go from a 22W dress to an 18W-20W dress, but it depends on the style and fabric of the dress.
staja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7.5"

Thumbs up

Hi, My experience is 10lb.loss for x dress size. But I do think I'ts how a person is built, and where a person carries their weight...which explains how some women who weight 180 can wear a sz.14,and some who weigh 160 can not. Also is where the clothes are made, I've found 'rack' clothing,is much smaller...but more expensive clothing is larger.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #5  

I have some blouses from Catherine's Dress shop (3x) that are becoming too big. I have some from Kohls (3x) that I just now can wear again.

I have two pair of jeans, same style, cut and maker. The only difference is the color. One fit and the other was too small. I bought them at the same time but had only tried on one pair.
kahnfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #6  

Thanks, guys!

Unfortunately I think the problem here is the fact that it just seems like size doesn't mean much to different designers.

For anyone who takes measurements, then, about how many pounds do you lose (on average) to lose 1 inch around any given section of your body? Because I've found on most size charts that they put about an inch between their next numbers up.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You cannot base size, or future size, on how many pounds you lose. You simply cannot. There are way too many variables...

Think of a roll of toilet paper, or paper towel. When it is a new roll, and you take off a few sheets/squares, it isn't very noticeable. However, when the roll is almost empty, and you take off the SAME number of pieces, it IS noticeable.

The same applies with people. If you have a 400 pound woman, most people around her are not going to notice much if she loses 10 pounds. It is going to take more than that for it to be obvious, and for her to lose a clothing size in most cases. However, if you have a friend who is 120 pounds and looks great, and she loses 10 pounds...it is going to be very obvious, since she didn't have much to start with in the first place.

Also, weight comes off differently. I find that when I take my measurements, that sometimes a 5 or 10 pounds loss is in one area more than another. One time I might have lost more inches in my thighs and face...and another time it might be more in my waist and ankles. It comes off differently...so every 5 pounds, or 10 pounds isn't going to come off the same way.

There is no correct ratio really. I have dropped 25 pounds and lost one size at one point in my journey...and at another point it took 15 pounds to lose another size.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #8  

That makes sense. I suppose I'm trying too hard to find a mathematical solution to something that's always sort of surrounded in chaos. lol.

Besides - I've also noticed that your weight going up feels a lot bigger than that same weight when you're losing.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I usually drop a size after about a 15 pound loss. Sizes vary crazily, even with the same manufacturer. Don't get hung up on a number, buy what fits and looks and feels good.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #10  
wannabethinner

I wish that there were some real formula to this...

I went from being almost 250 pounds and wearing a size 20 jeans (dresses I probably could have fit into a 16 because I am very bottom heavy but really small at the top) now, 60 pounds later, I am barely in a size 14 jeans-- so that has only been 3 sizes for me, which would be 20 pounds per size.

I am hoping to tone more and make my body more compact and hopefully fit into smaller sizes. But, I would say that it really depends on how your weight is. Muscle weighs more but is much smaller.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #11  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Always a mystery to me.

I'll lose like 20 pounds and not budge a bit in sizes and then lose 5 pounds and -- BOOM -- I'm down THREE sizes!

So, I just embrace the chaos and enjoy the ride.

(And believe me, I would LOVE to be able to map this out, mathematically. Nope. Just doesn't work like that for my body, apparently.)
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I wonder if the weight range for a size is wider at higher sizes than at lower sizes. The smaller your body, the more noticeable a given weight loss would be.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #13  
wannabethinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I wonder if the weight range for a size is wider at higher sizes than at lower sizes. The smaller your body, the more noticeable a given weight loss would be.

I think that is true--- I have a friend who gained 15 pounds and went from a size 4 to a size 10. She also is pretty short, I on the other hand am almost 6ft tall.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: (Preg 205)/163/150/140

Height: 5' 6"

I lost 10 pounds over 6 months and lost two pants sizes (14 to a 10), yet not one ounce on the top! Yet that's where all my weight is! And that's where I need to lose. I was perfectly content in size 14 pants, but am considering a reduction for the top, but want to be at goal weight before I look into it.
get fit in ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
The smaller your body, the more noticeable a given weight loss would be.

This is what I stated above. If a 400 pound woman loses 10 pounds, it is probably going to take more for everyone around her to start noticing (co-workers, etc. may not notice until 15, 20, 0r 25 pounds...) but if a 120 pound woman drops a few pounds-it is pretty obvious.

Height is also a factor. A 10 pound loss is much more noticeable on a short woman than it is on a tall one, because the loss is over less area.

This is also why a woman who is 5'11" can be thin and willowy at 165 pounds, but a petite woman at 5' tall would look chunky.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote