Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs down Atkins Take On Net Carbs

Seems the Atkins website is being re-vamped. I found some intersting info there regarding net carbs:

"Atkins science allows us to calculate Net Carbs in our products more accurately. In addition to subtracting grams of dietary fiber from total carbohydrates, we're able to account for glycerin and other ingredients that have minimal impact on blood sugar levels that might not show up on a standard food label. We can also check Net Carbs using analytical techniques. But, whats important for you to know is all Atkins bars and shakes are low in Net Carbs."

Quite interesting huh? Sounds to me like Atkins Nutritionals has felt the need to cover their butts since the labeling on the bars state 0 grams sugar alcohol...yet they contain Glycerine...which IS a sugar alcohol. They've gone as far as saying "minimal impact on blood sugar levels"...interesting isn't it? MINIMAL does not mean NO impact, it means little impact! And as far as "other ingredients"....the bars state on the label they contain soy, milk & peanuts (none of these are on the acceptable foods list!)...yet, the label also says "appropriate for Induction"...am I missing something here???

Their website may be new...but...their tactics to sell these non-Induction suitable products is still the same!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-07-2008 at 08:10 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #2  
Nice Pants

S/C/G: 224/202/199

Height: 5' 10.4239"

Quote:
am I missing something here???
The only thing you missed was Marketing 101. Like it or not, the Atkins Industry is a for-profit business and consequently must rely on traditional marketing spin to dazzle you into buying their products. Glassy-eyed at the thought of eating pounds and pounds of chocolate "candy", we overlook the small print and off we go.

I've been a proponent of low carb since 2001. I bought New Diet Revolution, read the whole thing, then proceeded to lose over sixty pounds on the plan. I have never purchased a single Atkins product. Why? Dr. Atkins himself told me I don't need them. He laid out plenty of food ideas and not one of them (that I remember) told me to put two scoops of glycerine on my minimal-impact Carb Flakes breakfast cereal.

Not only that, but I could see most of these products for what they were: sanctioned cheating. All of them lead you into the trap I call "emulation". Here's what I wrote about it in my book:
Quote:
The term I like to use for this strange syndrome where your new diet gradually takes on the qualities of the diet it was meant to replace is emulation. The low-fat dieter does any-thing to emulate a high-fat diet. ("These fat-free cookies are awesome! I'm going to have another box of them!") The low-carb dieter strains to emulate high-carb diets. ("Have you tried the new pancake mix with sugar-free syrup? Set me up with another stack of 'em!") As soon as you see your new diet begin to emulate your old, bad eating habits, you’ve left the path of wisdom, Grasshopper.
I'm not saying I haven't fallen for this myself. I've consumed a fair number of sugar free candy bars somehow thinking I was sticking to the plan. The theory is that this is supposed to satisfy your craving for the real thing. But I believe it only increases your desire for the real thing because the emulated version is never going to stack up.

--
Charlie Hills
I could be wrong. I often am.
hillsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsc View Post
I've consumed a fair number of sugar free candy bars somehow thinking I was sticking to the plan. The theory is that this is supposed to satisfy your craving for the real thing. But I believe it only increases your desire for the real thing because the emulated version is never going to stack up.
Be it "sugar-free...low carb...low calorie"..."diet" junk is still junk!!! Substituting 1 evil for another is just setting yourself up for failure.

On the occasional occasion I want chocolate...I'll have 1 square of Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate. Its the REAL thing...not a drop of glycerine added!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #4  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Quote:
The term I like to use for this strange syndrome where your new diet gradually takes on the qualities of the diet it was meant to replace is emulation. The low-fat dieter does any-thing to emulate a high-fat diet. ("These fat-free cookies are awesome! I'm going to have another box of them!") The low-carb dieter strains to emulate high-carb diets. ("Have you tried the new pancake mix with sugar-free syrup? Set me up with another stack of 'em!") As soon as you see your new diet begin to emulate your old, bad eating habits, you’ve left the path of wisdom, Grasshopper.
You're quite right, and you articulate my discomfort with this whole business of sugar-free products very well. For the most part, it seems to me that one should be eating simple, clean, unprocessed foods, and really adjusting the way one thinks about nutrition. Reading Gary Taubes' book Good Calories, Bad Calories changed a lot of my assumptions about healthy food, and I hope that I'm right in believing that the way I'm eating now IS a lifestyle change, rather than a short term thing. I can't see why I SHOULDN'T be able to carry on making these same decisions and judgment calls when it comes to my food choices.

Granted, the Atkins bars et al aren't available here in Bangkok, but I really can't see how they're any more useful or convenient than a bag of sunflower seeds/macadamia nuts.

Last edited by broadabroad; 06-07-2008 at 10:56 AM.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

hillsc,

I completely agree with you. For example, what's the point of eating low-carb ice cream or sugar-free candy every day after dinner? That's not breaking the habit of needing dessert!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Fresh is best.

Most likely Dr. Atkins (I've read his stuff and would never buy the crud they are trying to pass off as food) would be ashamed if he were still alive.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I'm not a low carber but a calorie counter who keeps my fat fairly low but I do agree with Charlie about the dangers of emulating the 'proper' stuff. I know from experience that its all too easy to slip back into old habits when your still having your daily 'chocolate' fix from the bars sold by WW. That's why I decided this time around not to go the WW route. Even watching my fat grams I would still rather have a small portion of normal cheese than more of a reduced fat one or a low-fat natural yoghurt to a FF one.

I'm not saying I'll never use a 'diet' product but they are a small and occasional part of my eating plan.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 06-09-2008 at 10:02 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #8  
22 days

Height: 5'3

It's silly. I mean really, when will the world realize there is no "easy road". It will never be "eat whatever you want and still lose weight!".

It's hard work. Yes you have to cut out the sugar and sugar alcohols, yes you have to work out. YES it will require some willpower. It's sad that this is what we resort to but the diet industry didn't become as successful as it is by selling books alone.
regime89 is offline   Reply With Quote