South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Question Sweet Potato Fries - HELP!!!

I've got some "inside out burgers" that I plan on making for DH and I on Monday - we aren't going any where, so I was going to do a mini-picnic just for the 2 of us... Anyway, does anyone have any good recipes for Sweet Potato Fries?

We don't eat burgers but 2 or 3 times a year, and we don't have fries at all - except when we have burgers... so it's a treat. Since I can't have regular fries, I thought Sweet Potato would be better.

Thanks in advance.
iammare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

I love roasted veggies of all kinds. Slice potatoes into "fries", spray cookie sheet with cooking spray, single layer of fries, spray again and season. 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes depending on how crispy you want them. Works with about any veggie.
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Rosemary and salt work the best with sweet potato 'anything'! I make sweet poato home fries and I cook them with rosemary, coconut oil, salt, pepper, and onions.

Also Trader Joe's sells fresh sweet potato 'spears' (cut into fries without anything added). I'll throw those in the oven with some veggie burgers. Yum, and no added fat!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: way to high/ 150

I like my sweet potato fries with thin sliced. I then toss them with some pumkin pie seasoning and sea salt, then bake them. They come out delish
Stardutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #5  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

I have no control when i eat sweet potato fries. I think I need to avoid them.

Trader Joes also has a frozen variety of sweet potato fries that are delicious.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #6  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

TJ's sweet pot fries have more fat and more cals than some other commercial brands. These 2 have lower cals and lower fat--Cain's have a crinkle cut thicker sp ff and there is a thinner cut made by Alexia that we find at Giant and the commissary. They are probably not truly SBD compliant. There are a couple items on the ingredient list that are not on plan.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I will generally slice them into fry slices and then cook them how I want...
if eating with honey butter... could do margarine and agave nectar.. then I just put in a pan and use some EVOO and a bit of salt (sweet and salty..mmm...)
If no butter then I cook them with Rosemary and garlic and EVOO.. like Michelle..but I keep them in slices...
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/266/143

Height: 5'6"

My mom gave me some sweet potatoes, but I need to do something with them quickly. Do you think I could make my own fries then put them into freezer bags for later usage?
JetSet1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't know how well they'd freeze - I've never tried it, but whenever I've frozen anything with regular white potatoes in it, they turn spongy and gross. But that's in soups and casseroles - wet things. They certainly do freeze french fries. If you try it, I would put some oil on them, and cook them partially, then freeze. I think you'll be able to put the frozen fries in the preheated oven still frozen and finish cooking. If you try it, let us know how it works.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #10  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes at Wal-Mart I can find the sweet potatoes packaged in fresh produce already cut into fries. If not, cut them into fry shape. I coat mine with olive oil and then taco seasoning and roast carefully, turning once for 30-45 minutes. The smaller they are the sooner they will burn, so be careful!
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #11  

I can't wait to incorporate Sweet Potato Fries into our menu plans.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 314/305/160

Height: 5'7"

tdiprincess: Thanks for the idea of using agave nectar. i always used to eat my sweet potato fries with apple butter (to add the sweetness to go with the salt on the fries) but have avoided making them because they wouldn't be quite the same and i'd crave apple butter but using agave is a great idea.
halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/297/160

Height: 5'6

So tonight I tried Butternut Squash fries...there is a recipe for them on hungry-girl.com. They were really good...but cutting the squash and peeling it was not so easy...
KellyLou is offline   Reply With Quote