General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #1  

Default Knitters, knitters, any knitters?

Who else knits? It's a huge part of my life, and I'm sure other people feel the same way.

So what kinds of things do you knit? What are you working on right now?
Sweet Sissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

Hi, I just became a knitter this year so I am not very good. My SIL is expecting her 1st baby so mostly baby hats and booties. I knit a hat for my PIL's new adopted son and a scarf for my DH. I am currently trying to start a sweater for my husband, but I can't find the right yarn.
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I hope this doesn't come across as a derailment, but I started out knitting when I was 8, but switched to crochet a couple of years later. I just can't keep track of more than 1 or 2 loops at a time. I make afghans and doilies, usually switching back and forth between a couple of projects to that I don't get bored. I like to crochet while I'm watching movies, it makes me feel like I'm not being quite so lazy.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

I'm trying to learn how to knit, its very frustrating. I can crochet but usually lose interest in my project partway thru. I'm such an instant gratification type of person! I need to learn patience!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I'm a knitter from childhood. I like knitting fairly complex stuff particularly Arran knits. I knit for myself, my daughter and am currently knitting a cardigan for my 3 year old niece. There's some lovely self-patterning sock yarns around at the moment so I fancy making socks. I haven't made socks for years, I used to make them and gloves for presents when I was a poor student.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I knitted when I was younger but could never figure out crochet. My Mom still knits up a storm. I have several beautiful sweaters that she has done for me and she has drawers full for herself. They are works of art. Often the yarn store will convince her to let them borrow a sweater for display after she has finished it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've been crocheting since kindergarten, and have periodically tried to learn to knit. I mastered the knit stitch, but instead of turning my work, was knitting off one needle, and then back on the other all the while the front of the work facing me. I just couldn't master the purl stitch. Every time I tried, I ended up dropping the stitch instead. Finally, I tried knitting with afghan hooks, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. I'm also experimenting with turning my work, but I think I'm doing better with the work facing me (luckily, I'm somewhat ambidextrous).

I recently learned than Portuguese knitting often uses hooked knitting needles (like the long afghan hook), when someone in one of my yahoo crochet groups mentioned a yahoo group for "knitting with crochet hooks." Another knitting option, I guess is with the "amazing needle," also called crocheknit. It's like a crochet hook with a cable threaded through the end. You can knit using the crochet hook as one needle, and the cable as the other (I just joined the group, so if this doesn't make sense to you, I may be explaining it poorly).

I also loom and rake knit (like the knifty knitter). I have arthritis, so I often can't crochet or knit with the super tiny needles/hooks, and especially like using the looms during a flare. I'd also like to get a sock loom (wood with very tiny pins placed close together, so that you can make a thin, small stitched socks).

I want to learn tapestry crochet, afghan (or tunisian) crochet, and knitting
this summer. I also bought an origami book.

I'm pretty much addicted to crafting in general.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #8  

I've thought about trying the knifty knitter is it easy? What can you make?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

PixieSue - my hands are too big and clumsy to do regular knitting, but I have done a lot of projects on the knifty knitter, and let it tell you, it is GREAT. I have done scarves, hats, legwarmers, blankets, and a sweater for my cat

There are limitations, but I think these are awesome, particularly for those of us without the dexterity to handle knitting needles. And it is SO easy to learn.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

It's very easy. I've made hats, scarves, an afghan made of knitted panels, a lapghan with a large "sleeping bag" like footy pocket (my husband asked for a lapghan with a bag for his feet to keep his legs warm)."

I didn't buy any of the books, but Amazon has at least 7 pattern books (at the end of this post). Michael's usually has a couple. I've browsed through a couple of them. There are also alot of free patterns online, and a couple Yahoo Groups.

I've seen patterns for purses, pillows, slippers, baby sweaters, stuffed toys, shawls.

There are also websites of peole who sell fancier knitting looms (made of wood, and with pegs placed at closer intervals). My favorite is http://www.decoraccentsinc.com/ (though I haven't bought anything from them yet). I want their sock loom and infinity afghan loom very badly.

Some of the more experienced loom knitters claim there is very little that you can knit on needles, that you can't knit on a loom - with the right loom.

There are also You Tube videos

(the amazon books, I mentioned earlier)
Learn To Knit On Circle Looms
Loom Knitting Primer
Knitting Wheel Fashions
Loom Knitting Pattern Book: 38 Easy, No-Needle Designs for All Loom Knitters
Learn New Stitches on Circle Looms
Learn to Knit Cables on Looms
More Knitting Wheel Fashions
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I crocheted my second (first in 8 years) baby blanket last month! It turned out awesome the new mommy loved it! I really enjoyed it and I want to make another one but have no reason, LOL. (I have to admit my mom did the edge for me, LOL)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blanket4.jpg (44.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by sotypical; 05-21-2008 at 06:32 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #12  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I've known how to knit since I was a child but I never really took to it. This past winter I knitted a few scarves and one headband to keep my hair out of my face when I exercise. I've got bags of yarn and now I've lost interest. Maybe when the cold weather comes again I'll dig out the yarn and needles.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I can knit and perl, but have no idea how to do anything other than long straight scarves!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

I love to knit! I find it so relaxing and a wonderful way to keep my hands occupied so I don't sneak food into them!

In case you were interested, there's a "Crafty Chicks" club in the Miscellaneous Support Groups forum.
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #15  

Thanks for the tips on the knifty knitters! I'm definately going to try some!