Old 05-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Bored with Breakfast

I tend to have the same things over and over and I am getting bored with my breakfasts. I need some fresh ideas.

Most of the winter, I have eaten:
oatmeal
toast and egg beaters
egg beater omelets
whole wheat english muffins or bagels with egg beaters and cheese on them
more egg beaters... ugh

I like how the egg beaters seem to keep me full (protein) but I am sick of them.

Now that it is hotter I also have:
smoothies made from yogurt and fruit
cold cereals with skim milk and berries

But what I really want is a huge plate of hash browns, sausage, bacon, and pancakes with a ton of syrup. Ugh.

Filling healthy breakfast ideas?
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Try abandoning your preconceived notion of breakfast food, and just have a delicious meal that fits in with your weight loss program? That's what people have been doing for most of human history, and still do on most of the planet. I often have some kind of egg scramble, but this week I've had low carb cheesecake with strawberries one morning, salad with fried haloumi and a fried egg another morning, and this morning I had a bowl of seasoned minced beef with a bit of melted cheese. Last week I had steak and salad.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

This thread was started just today. Some good ideas here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142838

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/284/170

Height: 5'10

I used to do JC. One of their best breakfasts was the pancakes and sausage. It's just 4-5 mini pancakes and 2 morningstar sausage patties. I make my own now for a third of the cost. Easy to find in the frozen food section. It's my Sunday splurge even though I'm not breaking the fat/calorie bank at all and am actually following my plan. I like to cheat cheating lol.
Hope1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 AM   #5  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i'd avoid bagels at all costs, they have the equivalent of 6 slices of bread, cold cereal, with soya milk is an aquired taste but is good. fruit salads with yoghurt are a good one. cottage cheese and marmite on toast is a particular favourite of mine.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

My breakfast are usuallly:

egg white scramble with ketchup, pnb toast, fruit
kashi waffle with peanut butter, fruit
turkey and lite cheese wrap
boca bacon with pnb on ww toast, fruit
cottage cheese and fruit
boca bacon, lettuce & tomato on ww toast
turkey sausage, peanut butter toast, fruit
cheese toast and apple

I try to have some protein and about 250 calories at breakfast

Also - because I take synthroid for my hypothyroid condition - I am not suppose to eat foods high in calcium for four hours before or after I take it. So often I'll only eat dairy products for breakfast if I happen to wake up in the night and take my synthroid then. (I don't like that!)

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-21-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I hate breakfast, but I'm finding that morning eating makes the whole day's eating healthier and better. I too say, break out of that morning mindset. My breakfasts include:

Smoked salmon
Leftovers from dinner (particularly if we have eaten out.)
Nuts
prunes or other fruit
OJ (yes this is breakfasty, but I love it and indulge myself with freshsqueezed juice.)
chicken soup
cheese and crackers.

I find the most important thing is to eat a variety of foods so I don't get bored, and to eat enough that it sticks with me.

Good luck
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I don't think I will ever get tired of scrambled egg beaters with a little cheese and salsa in a low-carb wrap. I also really like plain LF yogurt with some low-cal granola and local honey mixed in. Yum. But for the days when I really want pancakes, I use this high protein recipe:

Golden Pancakes

1 cup uncooked whole-grain oats (non-instant)
6 egg whites
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 packets sugar substitute
1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 cup mixed berries

Lightly coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; place over medium heat.

In a blender, combine oats, egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla, cinammon and sugar substitute. Blend on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.

Pour batter, about 1/4 cup at a time, onto hot skillet. Cook pancake until bubbly on top and dry around edges, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook other side until golden brown, about 2 more minutes.

While pancakes are cooking, microwave maple syrup until warm, about 20 seconds.

Place a portion of pancakes on 2 separate plates. Top with warm maple syrup and mixed berries.

Serves 2.

(This is a HUGE serving. Man-sized, even. Just saying.)

It's from the Fit For Life diet, and while they're a little thinner than the fluffy pancakes I'm so used to, the extra protein and the fact that they're actually *good* for you go a long way toward making up for that.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #9  
FB

I usually don't eat a typical breakfast, because I am not overly fond of breakfast foods. I'll eat light salads, turkey wraps or soup most mornings. If I'm feeling really breakfasty on an odd occasion I'll do a smoothie or use the juicer.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #10  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

I myself like having a little tex mex in the mornings. Corn torillas are low calorie, and when you add some fried lentils (well not so mex per se, but full of protein AND low calorie even for beans!) and a little fat free cheese, some tomatoes, it really is satisfying...
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

I also love breakfast now that i am dieting. Before I never ate breakfast. I will have eggbeaters with ff cheese and veggies.
whole wheat toast with pb.
yogurt with fruit
smoothie
cold cereal
oatmeal
I seem to just rotate them and so far not tired of any of them.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmin View Post
I myself like having a little tex mex in the mornings. Corn torillas are low calorie, and when you add some fried lentils (well not so mex per se, but full of protein AND low calorie even for beans!) and a little fat free cheese, some tomatoes, it really is satisfying...
That sounds delicious. ::adds corn tortillas and lentils to shopping list::
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #13  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I am all about the yogurt with granola and berries lately. I love it!

You could also do Bisquick Heartsmart and make pancakes with it. I just use water only, no oil or milk to make them. Served with morningstar breakfast sausage patty (or turkey sausage links) for lowfat protein.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #14  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i personally dont like breakfast but my husband loves it evrey saturday i try to "create" a new something for him .... i have him on a weight loss regiment too .. this is what i made for him last weekend ( he loved it ! )

1 weight watchers pita pocket
stuffed with 1 scrambled egg cubed tomatoes onion green peppers and a few spinach leaves ( all scrambled into the eggs )
2 corsley choped Morning star bacon strips
1 Slice Weight Watchers Cheese
And 1 Small Baked red potatoe with salt pepper chives and lightly sprayed with cooking spray .... ( non fat butter flavored )

the whole experiance was under 10 points ! not bad for such a hearty breakfast !
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Great!! I am printing out this thread. Wonderful suggestions.

Oh and about bagels... I have a suggestion for anyone who likes them (as it was mentioned they can be TERRIBLE). I only eat Alternative Bagels. I get them at Walmart in the refrigerated section. They are a normal sized bagel and they are high in fiber and have 110 calories each. I get the Sweet Wheat or the Cinnamon ones. They have onion ones too.

I think this morning I am going to have an apple gouda chicken sausage and some toast. Yum. (I had the sausage for dinner but hey, if you guys can eat dinner foods for breakfast then I am going to try it too!)
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote