Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

Default Marathon Runners?

Are there any runners here? I decided I'm going to tackle a 1/2 marathon in November... but there's only one thing... I don't run. I found some info on runnersworld.com on training, but was just wondering if any of you have become runners since losing.
jewljz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #2  
MyBoysNMe2

S/C/G: 168/134.8/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi!
I am not a runner but I have walked 3 full marathons and 4 half marathons. I can tell you it is just as rewarding and a lot less painful! There is a really good book out there that will help you either way (run or walk) called Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham, highly recommend it. Which event are you looking to do? My husband and I are going to do Disneyland in August. LOTS of fun!
Kim
myboysnme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #3  

I am going to do the rock n roll marathon in San Antonio. I've begun my training and still feel great about my decision. When I had considered the whole marathon I did think that walking might be an option, but you have to finish within 7.5 hours, which would mean plenty of running as well. I don't want to overdo it, so I changed to the 1/2 marathon.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #4  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

I've always been morally against running unless someone is chasing me with a large implement, but I have done the Couch to 5K program - and it does work! Try http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml it is a really good plan.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #5  

Thanks for the link - awesome website!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #6  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

You're welcome- there is a big "C25K" group on these boards - I thnk in the excercise sub-category. I think I am going to start following the plan again.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: S-194/C-182/G-135

Height: 5'3"

Hey, that's great.
I see others have already posted some great info already so I just wanted to wish you well in your running.

I started running 2 months ago, and on a good day I can go 20 minutes straight. This started as me gasping for air after only 1 minute, so I've built it up.

I find with running a lot of it is mental. Getting in a "zone". Although can go for 20 minutes, sometimes after 5 I'm bored and think I need to stop. I need music to keep me going.

Have fun with it, you'll notice it helps with your weight loss!
betty big bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #8  

There is also some great Marathon training plans on halhigdon dot com Good luck to you!
fit40 is offline   Reply With Quote