General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #1  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Default Wii Fit or Wii Fat? BMI Controversy!

I came across an interesting article about the BMI and Wii Fit.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yah...i-fat-/1213585
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Wow. Interesting. I'm not sure I enjoy how they're using the BMI (*cough* crap *cough*) to gauge if a person is a healthy weight or not... but I'll have to warn anyone with children not to let them use it or they could easily be mislabeled.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

*cough* CRAP *cough*

Yep, pretty much!
Old 05-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #4  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

I would have had a fit it the video game told me I was fat at age 10!! I suggest parents find the accurate or somewhat accurate BMI for their kids, maybe from their pediatrician and show the kids that the game is wrong, that way their kids will still be able to play and be able to hopefully ignore the "fat" label they got from a machine! good luck to all parents, phew
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #5  

Thumbs down

To me, that article was annoying. The media likes making a big deal out of things, and when something is popular they always find something wrong with it. It's a game, for pete's sake.

I agree that they should say "inaccurate for children" or something like that, and they shouldn't say "fat", but it sounds to me like needless overreacting again by the media and parents. BMI's are not good for determining if people are healthy or not for anyone, because someone could have a lot of muscle and weigh more.
chiquitaberlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #6  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

agree on the BMI factor, its a crock

i use my wii fit on carpet.. its fun and gets me out of breath,... i take the body test with a pinch of salt when it comes to weight.
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquitaberlinda View Post
It's a game, for pete's sake.
Well, it's a game that children will play. Parents and children alike will take what it says as true, simply out of ignorance. Therefore, in this case, it's not really "just a game" to be taken lightly.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

It is unfortunate that it doesn't come with a warning . . . to be totally truthful, the BMI calculation itself can't really judge a child's fatness or lack of fatness . . . other than that; great little program (IMHO).
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Well, it's a game that children will play. Parents and children alike will take what it says as true, simply out of ignorance. Therefore, in this case, it's not really "just a game" to be taken lightly.
Ok, maybe my "it's just a game" comment was not the right thing to say, it is just frustrating when the media makes controversies out of everything. I agree there should be a disclaimer, but I also think people take things too seriously. I'm not talking about you or anything, and I'm glad you shared the article.

I entered her info into a BMI calculator, and it says she is underweight (according to adult standard). So either her dad is lying about her weight or the wii fit bmi calculator is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. Either way, I'm buying it!

Last edited by chiquitaberlinda; 05-17-2008 at 09:35 PM.
chiquitaberlinda is offline   Reply With Quote